The Malik Report

Elliotte Friedman On The Wings At The Trade Deadline

Elliotte Friedman did an AMA Reddit today and there was a Detroit related question and answer...

Friedman- They will try.

But, the Franzen cap situation and Holland's unwillingness to consistently give up futures make it harder. Sometimes, it has to be solved from within.

Many more NHL questions answered.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Shanny_Fan's avatar

Wouldn’t a trade for a d-man make more sense. Smith and Green paired together and getting dominated in their own zone is killing the offense as much as anything else lately.

I’d have no problem seeing Howard, Pulkanen, Jurco or Helm get moved. Likely 2 of Oulette, Sproul and Jensen wont make the wings in the next year so why not get something for one of them. I wouldn’t even mind trading Manha if something decent was coming back the other way.

Posted by Shanny_Fan on 02/22/16 at 07:28 PM ET

Slumpy's avatar

Defenseman, scoring wing, superpest a la Holmstrom type, Blackhawks Shaw like player.
Leafs going in June draft stockpiling draft picks, have about 12 picks!
Kenny better do similar or trade getting back mix of picks, prospects and some veteran scorer.
Sheahan faceoff this season at 46% 7 goals and -16. He’s expendable.
Jurco and his 4 goals the same.
Green is a keeper with Kronwall age and health issues plus Green giveaway/takeaway ratio better than any other Red Wing d-man not named Dekeyser.
Marchenko giving puck away at rate five times he gets it back and Ericsson even worse 43/8 ratio.
In need of shot blocking defenseman imo like most Rangers defenseman or Russell of the Flames.
Build to the future, strengthen the core. To many water bugs on roster not enough muscle.

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 02/22/16 at 08:04 PM ET

Jurco and his 4 goals the same.

Man, everyone is in such a hurry to get rid of young, offensive forwards.

Posted by Garth on 02/22/16 at 08:21 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

No one! Players are too expensive at this time of the year.

If you think the Wings are or can be (with trades) a Cup contender, I have an Igloo to sell you, with Sattelite NHL Centre Ice. Even making the playoffs just for the sake of a record and getting bounced 1st or 2nd Round has got tiring.  It is good for the Illitch Family and that i all.  Illitch deserves some playoff revenue.

Mantha, Goose, Tatar, Howard (KH has stated that), etc etc will not get traded.

No one wants the ones we don’t want , E, Kindl, Andersson, and your own veteran overpaid unwanted.

Cap has screwed KH this year.  Legwand, Hudler, Weiss and others are out there but even they likely be gone before deadline day.

Sleep in Feb 29th Wings Fans!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 02/22/16 at 09:10 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Trades are hard
Kids aren’t the answer
When Lidstrom retires I’m going to retire
Blah
Blah
Blah

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 02/22/16 at 09:22 PM ET

Because Kronner’s probably gonna be back a few games before the start of the playoff.  Most likely that will be KH’s move:  sit and wait for Kronner to come back and get in game shape.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 02/22/16 at 10:31 PM ET

You guys are acting like a bunch of spoiled brats. This organization has won 4 Stanley Cups (making 6 Finals) in the past 20 years and that’s without a single top 10 pick (Montreal has not made a Cup final since 93 and Toronto since 67). Chicago is the top dog right now, and guess what? Kane and Toews were top 3 overall picks. Sure they made some great FA signings like Hossa, but I remember a lot of people hating the guy when we lost game 7 in 2009. I agree that Holland has done a poor job replacing Lidstrom, but how many top level d-man are out there? If someone has one, they are not trading him. You want someone like Ekman-Larsson? You would need to give up Larkin, Dekeyser and a pick. You won’t get a top pairing d-man for Tatar, Mantha and a pick. I’m also tired of Kindl, Smith and Ericsson, but I also see positives like Mrazek and Larkin. If we can just draft a d-man (that’s one area our scouts have done a poor job) than we have a pretty good core to compete in the future.

And for those that don’t care about the playoff streak and would rather suck to make changes, be careful what you ask for. Oilers and Sabres have sucked for years and it doesn’t look like things will change over night. Just look what happened to the Pistons after they trade Billups and tried to go young. It’s been years since they’ve been relevant and are fighting just to be an 8 seed in a crappy Eastern Conference. I sure hope the Wings never end up like that.

Posted by jrwings on 02/23/16 at 12:01 AM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

whether its now or the off season, there will be a goalie that gets traded.

Most would argue it should be Howard because we can get the most for him ... even though he has a $5.25 mil. cap hit.

Knowing we have Coreau and Paterson in the system for a few more years, I’m thinking McCollum is the odd man out and, with his performance the last couple of years, would fetch a decent player in return. He’s a UFA at seasons end so something has to be done sooner than later.

Based on the loyalty demonstrated by Ken Holland in years past, I don’t see Jimmy Howard being traded ... ever.

Defencively, I just don’t understand why Jensen is still in GR.  With Russo playing so well and Ouellet playing well here, Sproul could be the expendable one here.  It would be mighty nice if someone would take Ericsson and/or Kindl off our hands to make room for Jensen.

So many people seem to be excessively quick to pull the trade trigger on young forwards.  With players like Jurco and Pulkkinen in particular, you have to give them time to figure out how to play in the NHL.  It took Abdelkader the better part of 5 years to find his scoring touch.  So far, Larkin is the only exception to the rule.  He’s way above the typical learning curve.  Others you have to have patience.

Of the forwards we have now, Andersson is the only one that’s been around for a few years that’s just not getting it.  I’m not real impressed with what Brad Richards has left in the tank and Sheahan has shown only glimpses of what he could become in a few years.

Yeah we need size and snarl up front which could come in the form of Mantha, Frk, Bertuzzi, and Callahan.  Unfortunately, cap space has prohibited their promotion so we’ll just have to wait to see them in camp ... again.

Unfortunately, many teams have a self-imposed salary cap well below the league cap which is making it difficult to trade players willy-nilly.  There are rumours of quite a few “good” players being trade available but, I get the feeling we’ll see maybe one “big” trade and a handful of less significant trades.  It’s probably going to be one of if not the most boring trade deadline days ever.

Does Ken Holland WANT to make a trade at the deadline ??  Yes
Will he find another GM willing to make a trade ??  No

Be prepared for ‘Snoozefest 2016’.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 02/23/16 at 12:27 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

Trades are hard
Kids aren’t the answer
When Lidstrom retires I’m going to retire
Blah
Blah
Blah

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 02/22/16 at 08:22 PM ET

Don’t forget:

“Getting Injured-Player-X back is just like a trade deadline deal” & “I like our team”.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 02/23/16 at 12:45 AM ET

Irony thy name is jrwings.  That’s been the situation for the last three seasons, and the only reason it isn’t four is that we were still in the West in 2013.

Posted by captaineclectic on 02/23/16 at 07:45 AM ET

There were no top ten picks on the 1997, 1998 and 2002 rosters?

I could’ve sworn there were…  I know there was that one guy, Stefan something?  Stefan Ysebaert?

It will come to me.  Right on the tip of my tongue…

I sure hope the Wings never end up like that.

I see, you’re about a half-dozen seasons behind.  That’s fine.  There’s a lot of good TV nowadays so you can be excused for being a little behind the times in hockey.  Well, as you get caught up you’ll see that, starting around the 2012-13 season, that is exactly what the Wings are.

Posted by Garth on 02/23/16 at 10:28 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

There were no top ten picks on the 1997, 1998 and 2002 rosters?

It will come to me.  Right on the tip of my tongue…

You’re thinking of that Shanahan fellow…or the other, hot dog eating Irishman…  Yeah, they weren’t our picks, but…  And dude, Paul Yserbeart reference.  20 points to Griffendor!

I know the point he’s trying to make, we didn’t get any Top 10 picks DURING those years, despite the Hall of Fame caliber line-up we threw out there every night during those years.  Man, I miss those teams…  Any chance we can convince Cheli to suit up for our D?  He’s still in shape…

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 02/23/16 at 10:59 AM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Q: Do you think the Red Wings upgrade their secondary scoring at all? Gustav Nyquist and Tomas Tatar both have 12 points each in their past 30 games.

Friedman- They will try.

I really really hope we don’t try.

I’ve no interest in trades.

We have more than enough skill and talent.

Our difficulty right now is trying to find players with chemistry for each other in order to fill out the LINES and PAIRS & I have the patience to watch and wait.

If we get a new player we’ll have the same problem we have now; “who has chemistry with this guy?”  Let’s answer that question for Green & the forwards.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 02/23/16 at 11:07 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Be prepared for ‘Snoozefest 2016’.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 02/22/16 at 11:27 PM ET

I hope your right, I wouldn’t trade to upgrade this team if I was in his seat, unfortunately Mr. I won’t let him sell either.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Window Seat on the Captain's Ship on 02/23/16 at 11:08 AM ET

And I guess you haven’t watched any Pistons games in a long time because they have missed the playoffs in 6 straight seasons, finishing 12th, 11th, 10th, 11th, 11th and 12th in an Eastern Conference that has had below .500 teams making the playoffs. That’s not the case in the NHL, where you might need at least 95 points to make it in the East. I’m a fan of both teams and follow them closely, trust me you do not want the Wings to fall on such hard times. It gets to a point where the team is unwatchable. Just last year we had a 3-1 series lead on the Lightning (who made the final) and were close to eliminating them. Until this past losing streak, the team was only 3 points behind the division leading Panthers. I guess that’s not a team worth watching to you.

Posted by jrwings on 02/23/16 at 11:10 AM ET

Sell what? You think someone will give you more than a fourth round pick for an UFA to be Darren Helm? Maybe you get a 2nd round pick for Quincey, but he’s been one of our better d-man and I would rather keep him and trade Smith or Ericsson in the offseason.

Posted by jrwings on 02/23/16 at 11:15 AM ET

I’d respond, but you’d just change your argument again.

Ah *#$%@& it.  The Wings are not relevant.  They are fighting for the bottom playoff seeds, which is what you said you don’t want happening.

Posted by Garth on 02/23/16 at 11:30 AM ET

Who cares what they get?  Helm is (or at least should be) gone in the offseason, so a fourth is better than nothing.

Not to mention that the Leafs got a second rounder for Nick Spaling, why couldn’t Detroit get that for Helm?  Helm’s a better Nick Spaling who could help a contending team.

Quincey’s gone too, what’s wrong with getting a 2nd for him?

Oh and hey, you can trade Quincey for a pick AND try to trade Smith and/or Ericsson in the off season.  One thing has nothing whatsoever to do with the other two.

Hell, you can trade Quincey for a pick and then try to re-sign him in the off season if you really want him back.

Posted by Garth on 02/23/16 at 11:34 AM ET

Shanny_Fan's avatar

Wow a lot of negativity here. The wings aren’t a cup favorite by any means but I wouldn’t be surprised to see them make a run this year. This is a team that was a bounce off a shin pad away from beating a blackhawks team in OT of game 7 that went on to win the cup and didn’t go more than 6 games against anyone else 2 years ago and this is a team that outplayed a Tampa team in game 7 last year that went to the final. On paper the wings are also a team that when fully healthy started Brad Richards on our 4th line this year.

There really isn’t much drop off between our line 1 and line 3 when they are rolling which not many teams can say and our goaltending is all world these days. If we could up upgrade our D a bit I dont think we are as far away as a lot of you guys seem to be implying. If we get on a roll and a bounce or two to goes our way for once in a game 7 we have as good a chance as any in a league with as much parody as the NHL has. Washington is really good, but are you guys really scared of the Tampas, Floridas and Bostons out there? Im not.

You aren’t likely going to get a true #1 d-man anywhere but I’d be searching for a deal similar to the Yandle, Myers, or Boychuck type deals that have happened in the past year to plug a guy into a 2/3 type slot and displace Big E. If the right deal exists of coarse.

Posted by Shanny_Fan on 02/23/16 at 11:47 AM ET

Friedman- They will try.

I really really hope we don’t try.

I’ve no interest in trades.

We have more than enough skill and talent.

I could see where you might make that observation with the offense although the lack of goal scoring makes me feel different and I don’t think the problem is solved from within in the next couple of years.

But I see no way to say this team has enough talent on defense. Where is this skill and talent capable of playing first line minues. Perhaps DeKeyser is one (although debatable) but who is the second. It’s not Kronwall, he is well past his prime.

I like Tatar and Nyquist but if trading one of them could net a different type of forward, one with more physical presence (not a fighter!) and some scoring touch I’d certainly consider it because a forward like that is a couple years away in the system.

I do agree that the price will probably be too high to make a deal. They shouldn’t be making a deal just with this season in mind.

Posted by evileye on 02/23/16 at 11:48 AM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

But I see no way to say this team has enough talent on defense.

— I say it about the defense as well as the offense. a lot of skill and talent

Where is this skill and talent capable of playing first line minues.

There are no first line minutes for D.  There’s top-4 minute.

DeKeyser, Quincey, Kronwall, Ericsson, & Smith all played top-4 minutes the last 2 seasons for the Red Wings & they’ve done well.

Green and Marchenko can both play good D as well.

The problem isn’t the skill and the talent, the problem is finding which defenseman has chemistry with Green. Smith has been playing with Green since Christmas and there’s reason to hope ...

We have enough talent to compete in the Stanley Cup Playoffs & we’ll have success if our PAIRs and LINEs have some chemistry going.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 02/24/16 at 02:30 PM ET

There are no first line minutes for D.  There’s top-4 minute.

Green and Marchenko can both play good D as well.

We obviously see it quite differently. If you match that defensive group against any of the best groups in the league I think you’ll see they fall far short. To say Ericsson and Smith have played well the last 2 seasons is simply ignoring the huge number of mistakes each makes on almost a nightly basis.

None of these defensemen is doing much to contribute offensively. Many are far too slow moving the puck out of their own zone. I like Green but he’s been a disappointment when you consider what he was brought here to do, generate offense.

The reality is the Wings have a bunch of second or third tier defensemen at this point. Winning in the playoffs almost always requires more than that.

Posted by evileye on 02/24/16 at 03:17 PM ET