The Malik Report

Dylan Larkin addresses McDavid’s lap at the All-Star Skills Competition

Connor McDavid's 13.310 second full-rink lap of the rink during the NHL's Fastest Skater competition did not best Dylan Larkin's 13.172-second lap from last season, but the fact that McDavid had to start from a full stop at the red line had Oilers fans pissed off--and McDavid irked--because Larkin's lap was recorded from a moving start at the blueline:

So Larkin himself addressed what is almost always a moving target at the NHL's Skills Competition--the ever-changing rules of engagement from year to year--and Larkin did so quite gracefully:

The ways in which the NHL measures its events really do change almost every year at the All-Star Game's Skills Competition, and it's not Larkin's fault that the league's methodology is inconsistent.

Kudos to Larkin for being a gracious winner.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

I was watching all the griping. Poor sports.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/28/17 at 11:08 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I guess they take it seriously? Hard to tell if it’s being competitive or a poor sport!

Posted by TreKronor on 01/28/17 at 11:42 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Don’t get all high and mighty hockey town, I am sure if we go back a year, most of you would be defending Larkin breaking the record.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/17 at 12:23 AM ET

From a dead stop, looks like we’ll need to send AA and Larkin back.

Posted by stateofmifan on 01/29/17 at 01:46 AM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

It’s a bit of both. And, I’m referring to the panel that was having the discussion aboot the record. The rules for some of the skills competition change often enough. Most likely to keep the fans interest and enjoyment levels up there.

Maybe next season all players will get the preferred start.  wink

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 01/29/17 at 11:58 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Who gives two *#$%@&?

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 01/29/17 at 12:21 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I am sick of hearing about this BS, especially in Canada. I think McDavid is whining and spoiled.  He went public with being intentionally hurt when checked into the end board last year. I am sure there are others who may be faster in the NHL , running start or not.

Do you think Webers 102.XX is really his hardest shot, I think not.

Skills competition was supposed to be fun, I thought. I even had to cheer for Kesler’s son!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 01/29/17 at 03:03 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

The ways in which the NHL measures its events really do change almost every year at the All-Star Game’s Skills Competition, and it’s not Larkin’s fault that the league’s methodology is inconsistent.

Kudos to Larkin for being a gracious winner.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 01/29/17 at 03:06 PM ET