The Malik Report

Dreger: Brad Stuart signs 3-year deal with Sharks

Updated 5x at 4:10 PM: the deal isn’t “official,” but it’s done. 3 years, $3.6 million per season: This was probably coming, per TSN’s Darren Dreger:

Expect San Jose Sharks to announce an agreement with veteran D-man, Brad Stuart today or tomorrow. 3 year term.

Here’s hoping that he gets a sweet deal and experiences all sorts of success…Except when he’s playing Detroit, both in the regular season and playoffs wink

Update: TSN’s story about the probable signing doesn’t add much to the mix.

Update #2: It’s official, per Dreger again:

Stuart agrees to 3 year contract with Sharks at $3.6 per. Takes less to sign with a team that’s a good fit.

Update #3: The Macomb Daily’s Chuck Pleiness is confirming, and TSN has changed its story:

The San Jose Sharks have signed defenceman Brad Stuart to a three-year,  $10.8 million contract.

The Detroit Red Wings traded Stuart - who was a potential unrestricted free agent - to San Jose last week in exchange for forward Andrew Murray and a conditional seventh-round draft pick in 2014.

Stuart played more short-handed minutes than any other Red Wings defender this past season. San Jose had the second-worst penalty-kill unit this season.

Stuart, 32, was drafted third overall by San Jose in 1998 before being traded to Boston on Nov. 30, 2005, along with Marco Sturm and Wayne Primeau for current Sharks captain Joe Thornton.

He had six goals and 15 assists in 81 games last season. He had a plus-16 rating and led the Red Wings in hits with 177 and was second in blocked shots with 115. Stuart has played in 876 career games in 13 seasons with San Jose, Boston, Calgary, Los Angeles and Detroit, recording 74 goals, 231 assists and 489 penalty minutes. He’s also added nine goals and 28 assists in 124 career playoff games.

Update #4: Comcast Sportsnet Bay Area’s Brodie Brazil suggests that there won’t be a press release from the Sharks today:

#sjsharks won’t say Stuart deal is complete, but confident that it will get done.

Update #5: MLive’s Brendan Savage believes that the deal is legit, too.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Well now we know Kenny doesn’t need to see if Stuart who I imagine was their preference after Suter, will come back around after July 1.  Shit just got real nucka

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/18/12 at 03:57 PM ET

Leo_Racicot's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/18/12 at 01:57 PM ET

Yeps.

Sounds like we can expect Kenny to counter this with a Kyle Quincey signing in the next few days and the tagline of “Stuart replacement” going along for the 3m cap hit ride.

Posted by Leo_Racicot on 06/18/12 at 05:32 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Report from Dreger is 3 years, $3.6M per year.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 06/18/12 at 05:38 PM ET

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/18/12 at 01:57 PM ET

You didn’t think there was any real chance Stuart was coming back, did you?

Posted by Garth on 06/18/12 at 05:39 PM ET

detroitredwings's avatar

Three out of four top 4 D’s gone in 13 months span.. That’s tough.

Posted by detroitredwings on 06/18/12 at 06:13 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by Garth on 06/18/12 at 03:39 PM ET

No but not to say Kenny n Co. weren’t thinking those happy thoughts.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 06/18/12 at 06:29 PM ET

perfection's avatar

booooooooooooooo…. fuch his stupid family. he chose them over us and while that’s fine and I respect it, I do not support him nor do I wish him the best. I actually hope he lives to regret the decision dearly. I would like to destroy him for 3 consecutive years in the playoffs.

I realize I’m totally being an immature baby about this but it’s precisely because I loved this dude so much. He was totally the unsung hero of our team the last few years. God I hate the Sharks. Stuie, you’re going to look like a total bitch in teal… just saying.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 06/18/12 at 06:42 PM ET

jimathor's avatar

Good on him, you can’t fault the guy really, although I won’t say it’s not a shame, just a really really understandable shame.

Seems terrifying to think that Killer Kronwall and Johnny “Failballs” Errorsson are now our two longest serving defensemen.

Posted by jimathor from The land of Sir Humblepatch of Bumblehound on 06/18/12 at 06:55 PM ET

Somebody thought he was coming back. They argued with me about the Wings being his 2nd choice. And kept at it when I said SJ wasn’t run by Brian Burke.

So good news is the Wings get the 7th round pick and get another benchmark of value to be able to resign Quincey.

Again this makes the Quincey move at the deadline for a relatively low draft pick (though the Wings probably thought it would be lower at the time of the trade)—in one scout’s estimate the worst draft in 12 years—all the more brilliant.

Posted by dca from in Mich on 06/18/12 at 07:03 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Stuie, you’re going to look like a total bitch in teal… just saying.
Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 06/18/12 at 04:42 PM ET

Doesn’t pretty much anybody?

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 06/18/12 at 07:18 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

I just puked.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 06/18/12 at 07:47 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

i can’t wait till this ridiculous episode is in our rearview mirror.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 06/18/12 at 08:10 PM ET

I’m not worried.

There are plenty of options available.  Most of them are pretty young and inexperienced (aside from Suter).

Plus I also like Babchuk from Calgary for one of the plethora of young prospects if necessary (Andersson?)

Posted by BobaFett from Las Vegas on 06/18/12 at 08:13 PM ET

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

Good for Stu and his family.  Sucks for us.  We knew he wasn’t coming back, but still leaves another big hole in the D.  Here’s hoping that Holland can work some magic this off season.

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 06/18/12 at 08:49 PM ET

I would like to destroy him for 3 consecutive years in the playoffs.

Make sure you actually get into the playoffs first, before you do any destruction there.

Posted by Alex on 06/18/12 at 11:46 PM ET

Yes, I think that in order for the Wings to destroy the Sharks three consecutive years in the playoffs one has to assume that perfection wants the Wings to make the playoffs.

Good one.

Posted by Garth on 06/19/12 at 12:01 AM ET

Somebody thought he was coming back.

I’m sure Stuart was being genuine when he said he would like to return to Detroit if he couldn’t sign with one of the Cali teams, but the second he was traded to the Sharks it was pretty much a moot point because we knew definitively that there was a team in Cali who wanted him and wanted him enough to give up a pick for him, no matter how late in the draft it was.

Posted by Garth on 06/19/12 at 12:17 AM ET

shanetx's avatar

I’m just glad we won’t have to see him in a ducks uniform like Lilja.  That was brutal.  Sharks are detestable but they aren’t the ducks, yet.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 06/19/12 at 12:33 AM ET