The Malik Report

‘Dorkish’ defined: moron assaults Deaborn councilman for aiding and abetting Blackhawks fans

According to the Denver Post’s Adrian Dater, anyone who cheers for a sports team other than the sports team which represents their geographical locale is a “dorkish” person who is a “bandwagoneer.” Well what’s a person that makes the injury-laden Red Wings’ players, their fans, the organization and the entire Metro Detroit area look as terrible as the person he beat up? According to WDIV Local 4 (via RedWingsFeed), Dearborn City Councilman Bob Abraham was assaulted after Sunday’s Wings-Hawks game because Abraham’s son’s pals came to town from Chicago to cheer their Blackhawks on, and dared to wear Hawks jerseys to the game:

“We ran into a gentleman who was just not happy to see Blackhawks fans in Detroit,” Abraham said.

The man was driving a blue Chevrolet sports utility vehicle out of a parking lot west of the arena. He got out of the SUV to confront the Chicago fans with Abraham.

“I remember telling the guy, ‘Just please, go back to your car. They’re just kids. They’re not bothering anyone,” Abraham said. “Before I knew it, I was on the ground.”

His wife, Mary Ann Abraham, was just a few feet away. She was driving near the Joe to pick up her husband and the others.

“He hit Bob several times,” she said. “Blood all over the place. I didn’t know if this guy was going to pull a knife or a gun.”

If you click on the link, you’ll see that Mr. Abraham’s left eye is swollen shut, and WDIV reports that there was no description of the man given, but if you saw anything happen while you were heading home from Sunday’s game, I might suggest that it’s your duty as a Red Wings fan, a Blackhawks fan, whatever, to call the cops and make sure the bully who committed this crime is caught and prosecuted. This goes so far out of bounds in terms of “acceptable fan behavior” that it’s insane. Shame on that person.

Update: the Arab-American News has more about the incident.

Update #2: Despite the fact that the crime occurred in the City of Detroit, the Detroit News’s Josh Katzenstein reports that the Dearborn Police are also interested in your report if you have one:

Detroit Police Sgt. Eren Stephens said officers are looking for witnesses of the incident and hoping surveillance video footage can uncover some clues.

“It’s still being investigating,” Stephens said. “We’re still looking into it.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Jesus, that pic.  I hope they catch whoever did that.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 03/05/12 at 09:14 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Probably wasn’t even a Wings fan.  Was just a dude looking for trouble.

Posted by Primis on 03/05/12 at 10:45 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

I love sports as much as the next person, but what could possibly possess any fan to behave this way is well beyond me.  I hope the pig who did this is arrested in short order.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 03/05/12 at 11:07 PM ET

42jeff's avatar

Posted by bezukov from South of Detroit on 03/05/12 at 09:07 PM ET

No kidding

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 03/05/12 at 11:34 PM ET

UMFan's avatar

This is messed up. What in the world posses a guy to actually get out of his car and display that kind of anger. Hopefully he gets ID’ed and a judge throws his sorry ass in jail for awhile.

Posted by UMFan from Denver, Colorado on 03/06/12 at 12:23 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Probably wasn’t even a Wings fan.

I know right.  It couldn’t possibly be.  Best team, best fans, best city, best state, best country.  Hoo-rah.  There is no possible way.  None.  Total coincidence that the guys were Hawk fans.  When you’re perfect, you are just perfect.

Posted by 42jeff from Minot, North Dakota on 03/05/12 at 09:34 PM ET

Those poor cop cars.  You may not realize this, but the Vancouver police have literally gotten away with murder several times recently.  They act with total impunity and the courts are clogged, so not only can they not be persecuted, but they also dole out a lot of justice on the side.  Kind of an LAPD mid-90’s situation.  That riot was 1% hockey related (everyone wears a jersey here - we don’t beat up guest fans though).

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/06/12 at 03:50 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

It was a yutz, and it doesn’t matter what he *was* because he’s been kicked out of the Red Wings’ family. He’s a criminal and he should be prosecuted for assaulting someone simply because his kids’ friends were from Chicago. It’s disgusting.

And bringing up the Vancouver riot…That has nothing to do with nothing. There are fans of every sports team in the world who will find whatever excuse they can to act like boors and pick fights, and that’s just reality regardless of where one lives or which team one roots for.

That’s why it’s so important that fans turn the so-called “fan” in.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/06/12 at 05:15 AM ET

pilgrim's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/06/12 at 03:15 AM ET

Posted by pilgrim from the ice at the bottom of the world on 03/06/12 at 10:11 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Despicable.  I really, really hope they catch this *#$%@&.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 03/06/12 at 10:18 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 03/06/12 at 01:50 AM ET

Your act is getting tiring.  I know it was irrelivent and pointless bringing the vancouver riot into it, but that is beside the point.  Someone who does this is not a fan.  Some jackass looking for a fight is not a fan.  I recall the exact same argument being thrown around about the riot last spring, how those people were not truly fans.  Hey, news flash, we think our team is the best.  Maybe you would be happier over at some canuks blog.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 03/06/12 at 11:08 AM ET

pilgrim's avatar

I’m disappointed by the infighting here.

Whether or not this idiot was really a ‘fan’, it’s not good for the city of Detroit, the Red Wings, the league or hockey when stuff like this happens.

As George said, it’s important that anyone with information goes to the proper authorities so this can be dealt with. The Red Wing’s community should not be too preoccupied with petty bullshit to come to together to uniformly condemn this.

Posted by pilgrim from the ice at the bottom of the world on 03/06/12 at 11:31 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 03/06/12 at 09:08 AM ET

Fair enough.  But don’t you think that it was a little over the top to claim it couldn’t be a Wings fan?

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/06/12 at 02:02 PM ET

@Bent: You should (re-)read Bruce Arthur’s piece from right after the Vancouver riot. He had it right, and it applies here too.

Posted by dzuunmod on 03/06/12 at 02:36 PM ET

Bent's avatar

Posted by dzuunmod on 03/06/12 at 12:36 PM ET

I see the guys’ point, but it is still an opinion piece, nonetheless.  You can say he is a moronic wings fan blinded by his passion for the wings, and I can say he is a dumbass looking for a fight.  Someone acting as a fan for a team is not violent on behalf of the team, no matter what he says.  Obviously, he knows enough about hockey to know he hates the blackhawks.  I say that doesn’t make him a fan.

We can sit here and debate semantics about what makes a fan all day.  All that matters is I hope this guy is arrested.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from home of the 1925 Stanley Cup Champs on 03/06/12 at 12:02 PM ET

See above.  Also, I don’t understand why you come on A2Y, or to a lesser extent TMR, and expect to hear fair, unbiased, balanced coverage.  No one has ever made that claim for these sites.  Admittedly, you caught me on a bad morning before I had my coffee, and I got a little defensive.  But your statements always strike me as common trolling, which you then back off of as soon as someone calls you on it.  If you like the wings, can’t you come just to discuss the wings?  Despite what you say, you don’t really seem to like them.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 03/06/12 at 03:28 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 03/06/12 at 01:28 PM ET

I totally understand your feeling and I have tried to keep myself in check on A2Y (I am admittedly emotional).  The Rah-Rah over-the-top bravado is what I expect and, you’re right, I wouldn’t be here if I didn’t love it.  And I used to be as Red as the rest of you, so I can dig it.  I love Primis’ comments in general.
But….
this is not a LG or GDT, this is a real-life piece and Primis’ comments are outright delusional (I’m going to assume that they were heat of the moment).....and sometimes I am too appalled to hold my tongue.  The sense of supreme entitlement was suddenly just too powerful.  The fact that other people have used an ugly incident at their arena to troll my city is also irksome.

But look, to all the 19, I am a fellow-traveller, but also a natural troll, and I try not to cross the line too too much.  If I piss you off, it’s hopefully surface-level, and I don’t mind getting slammed a little.  Think of me as a foil.
Anyway, I may have taken it a little bit too far there.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/06/12 at 03:53 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Despite what you say, you don’t really seem to like them.

Got me.  In the last two years, Modano was the thing that got me most pumped.  This incarnation of the Wings is just kinda boring.  I was really expecting an addition to the top 6 this year.

Can’t deny this.  Still trying to work out some kinks in my voice.

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/06/12 at 04:00 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

SIGH…A gentleman minding his own business got the shit beat of of him because his son’s friends dared to wear Hawks jerseys because they were from Chicago, and we’re talking about “trolling” instead. :(

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 03/06/12 at 04:10 PM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Sorry.  I often dominate conversations.
The occasion for the thread is sad and upsetting.  What makes it worse is that the guy could have just run for it, but he was trying to be reasonable and upstanding.  The fabric of our society is woven in every interaction; but like Vancouver, when the silent majority comes out, you can see how small the miscreant minority is.
(A friend of mine was beaten to death outside of a hockey game - in the sticks, obviously - and I still tremble with sickened rage at the thought.  So I am very sorry for taking away from the seriousness of this post.)

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 03/06/12 at 04:27 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

By whom?

Did we have a family meeting of which I wasn’t aware? Did we finally elect a patriarch who gets to make this decision?

Yeah, the guy’s a yutz, a criminal, a *#$%@&, a terrible human being, and whatever else you want to call him. I hope he gets caught and faces the toughest punishment the law provides for the kind of shitty bravado this immature cockwit showed in assaulting somebody over a *#$%@& hockey game.

But even with the zero respect I have for him as a person, only he gets to call himself a fan of whatever he wants.

I’m not embarrassed as a Red Wings fan that there’s another Red Wings fan out there with the mental capacity of a ShamWOW who thinks the best way to express himself is at the expense of another fan.  I’m embarrassed as a person.  I think the concept of switching around definitions so that we can say we’re the least like the monster who did this is at best an exercise in mental masturbation.  At worst, it gives far too much value to an individual’s sports leanings and how far those go into defining what makes a person’s character.

I’m not a better person than this jerk because I’m a Red Wings fan and Red Wings fans don’t do things like this. I’m a better person than this jerk because I’m a person who doesn’t ascribe so much value to another person’s sports leanings as to make it worth assaulting him.

Because when you start talking about dehumanizing a person by referring to him as an “other”, who isn’t like you in any way, then you’re just laying the exact same mental groundwork that this embarrassment to the species laid for himself when he actually DID assault another person. Sure, you take a better path from that groundwork; but you make yourself more like him than you realize.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 03/06/12 at 04:34 PM ET

Bent's avatar

At least I think we can all agree that we hope this individual is caught and brought to justice for his actions.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 03/06/12 at 05:19 PM ET