The Malik Report

Do You Have Confidence In The Wings Making The Playoffs?

Allan Muir of Sports Illustrated takes a look at the Western Conference playoff race and writes this about the Wings...

The possibility of their 21-year playoff streak ending became a statistical probability after that loss to Calgary on Wednesday, but the schedule could be the difference-maker for Detroit. With five to go, the Wings face two road games — Saturday in Vancouver and the season finale in Dallas — and have Phoenix, Los Angeles and Nashville coming to the Joe. That’s a finish that puts the team’s fate in its own hands.

But can these Wings be trusted? They’ve struggled this season not so much because of the loss of Nick Lidstrom, but because too many young players have been asked to fill roles they’re just not ready to handle. Is there any reason to think they’ll suddenly answer the call now?

Detroit needs to go at least 3-1-1 over these games, with one of the regulation wins coming against the Stars. Dallas holds the tie-breaker, so that one is imperative. The odds are against them, but it says here the team’s veteran stars step up and get the job done.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

scotts0's avatar

To answer the question in the subject…No. They are lifeless.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/19/13 at 06:11 PM ET

Crater's avatar

They will do it.  They’ve put themselves in a very bad situation, but they will do it. I have no doubts.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 04/19/13 at 06:13 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I won’t lie:  at times I’ve wondered if they even should.

It maybe might be better in the longrun just to end the freaking playoff streak this year, get it out of the way, and on with business then without everyone worrying about a streak that’s nice but overall is quite meaningless.

Posted by Primis on 04/19/13 at 06:51 PM ET

gt500x's avatar

I can say with 100 percent CERTAINTY that the Wings definitely have a chance to make the playoffs!  And you can quote me on that!

Posted by gt500x on 04/19/13 at 06:59 PM ET

I’d like to see all the rookies get a taste of the playoffs.  Brunner, DeKeyser, Nyquist, Smith, Lashoff, Andersson, Tatar.  Let them get that hunger, then they can take that energy through a full training camp.  Hope to set things up right for next season.

Posted by maltby18 on 04/19/13 at 07:23 PM ET

creasemonkey's avatar

Missing the playoffs seems like the only fitting ending for this farce of a season.

Posted by creasemonkey from sweet home san diego on 04/19/13 at 07:36 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Nofa king whey

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/19/13 at 07:38 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

No identity ... no killer instinct ... no ‘physicality’ ... even Tootoo has gone soft the last few games Babs let him play.

No way they make the playoffs nor do they deserve to.

If i’m wrong and they do get in ??  They’ll be the first ones out.  They might win one game at home.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 04/19/13 at 07:55 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Making the playoffs: fairly confident.

Any kind of success in the playoffs: sadly, not confident at all.

Holland saying he “likes our team” when they are just another .500 club: priceless.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 04/19/13 at 08:07 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

i really like your team.

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/19/13 at 08:13 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

our team

L.G.R.W.

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 04/19/13 at 08:14 PM ET

Crow's avatar

No.  But I hope they prove me wrong.

Posted by Crow on 04/19/13 at 08:26 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Love the Wing’s team, don’t like their chances. Sorry I irritated you.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 04/19/13 at 08:30 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Seem to have the easiest schedule out of the contenders. If they can’t win the games at home and in Phoenix, then they don’t deserve to get in the playoffs.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 04/19/13 at 08:52 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

I’m all in. Our chances are as good as anybody’s.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 04/19/13 at 09:03 PM ET

wings9697's avatar

Some of you need to relax…

We all knew this moment was coming. Few teams can reload while playing at a high level. But by starting the rebuild now, the Wings will be in better shape than the 80’s Tigers were when they finally fell apart in the 90’s.

The Wings have successfully renovated the D and only dropped to 14th from 7th last season after losing Lidstrom and Stuart. If we could get Babs to lighten up on the no-hit reflex he puts on guys like Smith and Erriccsson, maybe some of their natural nastiness can come out and we can begin to make it harder to stay in the Wings offensive zone. DeKeyser and Lashoff look to be keepers as well. Either way, the Wings D should only improve over the next few years, especially if Sproul pans out.

Goalie is set with Howard and the Monster or they can call up Mrazek.

At forward, we’re soft because the young guys are afraid to make a play for fear of making a mistake which allows teams to impose a forecheck on them, forcing mistakes. Anderson seems to be the only rook who’s play has improved over the year. Holland has drafted skill guys, but neglected to find some physical forwards to open up space for the skill guys. Every team we play is more than willing to force the Wings to set up on the outside and fire away, because they know there is no willingness outside of Dats and Z to try and make their own shot. Franzen only goes to the net when he can avoid conflict in doing so. In fact, the only time I’ve seen him play with the fire he had in his first couple of seasons was when he got punched in the face in last years playoff series with Nashville. Tootoo can’t be the physical source of the Wings all by himself, especially due to his limited scoring ability, if you scratch him for a better offensive player.

Their biggest need is for a solid physical forward (Shanahan part deux?) and a forward who can finish his own shot. The problem is there are no young options available in UFA, just some 35+ veterans looking for one last payday. And neither Franzen or Fillipula have both proven they can put up a consistent scoring game. And Fillipula thinks he worth 1.5 million more than Franzen per year? That may be Holland’s only mistake, not moving Fillipula somewhere for a scoring forward and a draft pick.

It may be our best option to let Flip move on , or package his rights with a couple of prospects, like say the apparently unwanted F Jan Murzak,  G Thomas McCollum , another lower prospect, and a future #1 for Buffalo’s Thomas Vanek, a forward who’s still got some mileage and has been a proven 35+ goal scorer for the last 6 years.

Posted by wings9697 on 04/19/13 at 10:04 PM ET

Primis's avatar

In brighter news, the GR Griffins locked up the division title tonight.

It seems like ages since DET’s farm team has been a contender.

Posted by Primis on 04/19/13 at 10:44 PM ET

igrover's avatar

Zero confidence they will make the playoffs.  Just returned from watching the Avs-Oilers game ($5 tickets) where I watched the Oilers forwards repeatedly cut to the center when entering the offensive zone to take their shots.  Rarely was a shot taken from the boards side of the faceoff dot like the Wings seem to always do.

downer

Posted by igrover on 04/19/13 at 10:54 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

I’m always relaxed; especially on the internet because I’m not looking to offend anyone nor start some pointless argument.

I love the Wings, and they seem to have some current players and many prospects that can turn this team into serious contenders. I’d still love them if they missed the playoffs for the rest of my (hopefully) long life. Not important to me. Love the Wings, wish them all the best, regardless if they have a shot at winning Lord Stanley’s Cup.

Yet, this year, teams like the Kings and Hawks are sadly, simply > Wings. It hurts to type that, but I call it like I see it.

I’m sorry I don’t see the Wings as the perfect team, full of #5’s. I don’t think the Wings proved they are THAT much better than the Stars or the *#$%@& BJs, and the standings show it. I believe Babcock even said they are right where they expected to be (battling for 8th?). I’m sorry if I seem like a douchebag fan because I think they can have just as good a shot as making the playoffs, as they do missing it.

Not sure what teams the Wings have remaining that everyone thinks are pushovers, but if you watched the Preds tonight, they looked damn good. Wings are sadly right there with the other bubble .500 teams.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 04/19/13 at 11:00 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

Also, Anson *#$%@& Carter said that the Wings won’t make the playoffs tonight. He’s a pharmacist, so he knows what’s up.

*Hopefully obvious sarcasm*

(But really, Carter is *#$%@& great. Anyone see “Rooming with Roenick?”)

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 04/19/13 at 11:11 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Since I’ve used the word inconsistent already for the team, here’s my 2 cents:

I don’t think the question is whether we’re confident the Wings will make the playoffs, I’m concerned that the Wings themselves aren’t confident they can make the playoffs. I may have used this word before, and it may be inaccurate, but it keeps coming up when I think about this team up until now:

Fragile.

Anyone agree?

Posted by Bugsy on 04/19/13 at 11:16 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Fragile.

Anyone agree?

A bit. But I see them as being more confused than anything. No one seems to know what their linemates (forwards and defensemen) are doing out there. But when you’ve had a half dozen different linemates in just 43 games, maybe that’s to be expected.

As for making the playoffs? I’m not sure I even care at this point. I just want this clusterf*ck of a season to be over with. Then I want to see the dead weight (cough*Filppula*cough*Quincey*cough) removed from the team. And, finally, I want to see if Tick Tick the Broken Clock can actually function like “the best GM in hockey” by (1) getting Pavel a big-bodied linemate and (2) getting Kronner a legitimate #2 partner.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/19/13 at 11:45 PM ET

wings9697's avatar

Fragile.

Anyone agree?

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/20/13 at 12:45 AM ET

OK… Now that you’ve said that, tell us who Holland should go get, and what you’re willing to give up….

Have you looked at this year’s UFA crop? There is nothing there…. Most of the decent forwards and defense have all been resigned. Jimmy Howard was the best of the UFA goalies until he was resigned. I wish you guys that sit there and say “go get somebody” would start specifying what you want to do. It aint like Holland can just go to a team and say , “give me your defensman”....

Posted by wings9697 on 04/20/13 at 12:21 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I assume you’re referring to my last sentence. And the answer to that is easy. I don’t know. I’m not the “best GM in hockey.” Holland is (or at least he’s been proclaimed to be).

So I simply want to see if he can actually function like that and do something meaningful to improve this team. Who he gets and who/what he gives up to do that is above my “pay grade.”

We’re not paid millions of dollars a year (like Holland is) to do that. That’s his job. Our “job” as fans is to praise him when he does well, and to complain loudly when we feel he hasn’t.

And, right now, I personally feel he hasn’t. So I’m complaining.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/20/13 at 12:45 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

No. Why:

Niklas Kronwall
Jonathan Ericsson
Jakub Kindl plays like a rookie
Danny DeKeyser   rookie
Brendan Smith   rookie
Kyle Quincey limited vision due to having to wear face guard
Carlo Colaiacovo   made of glass
Ian White   Babs doghouse
Brian Lashoff rookie

Basically the Canucks layed down and let the Stars beat the crap out them in their last game imo so they will likely score 10 goals against the Wings on Saturday night.

I love NHL lockouts!

This season I spent no money on game tickets, cable tv center ice nor NHL licensed merchandised proudly.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 04/20/13 at 06:15 AM ET

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 04/20/13 at 01:45 AM ET

This.  All of it.

Posted by Garth on 04/20/13 at 06:42 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Solidarity, Slumpy! I’m right there with you on the closed wallet.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/20/13 at 08:19 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I’d like to see all the rookies get a taste of the playoffs. Brunner, DeKeyser, Nyquist, Smith, Lashoff, Andersson, Tatar. Let them get that hunger, then they can take that energy through a full training camp. Hope to set things up right for next season.

Posted by maltby18 on 04/19/13 at 08:23 PM ET

Me too but even if the Wings get in the Griffins will ne playing later than them

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/20/13 at 08:15 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

I want like hell for the Wings to get in but if it means that it’ll light a fire under Hollands ass if the miss the playoffs I’m all for that

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 04/20/13 at 08:17 PM ET