The Malik Report

Do You Consider The Red Wings A “Powerhouse” Team?

Steve Ott of the Buffalo Sabres thinks so in a story from Dan Rosen of NHL.com on division and conference realignment.

But are they still considered a powerhouse or does their legacy allow the use of that word to continue?

I instead would use the words "legitimate Stanley Cup contender" or "consistently the best team over the last 20 years".

Your thoughts?

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

topshelf14's avatar

it’s hard to consider the Red Wings a powerhouse team. they only have 2 maybe 3 legitimate All Stars year in and year out I think a lot of what the media sees is the past success of the Red Wings and that is what makes people think that there still power house but they haven’t finished at the top of the league over the past few seasons

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 09/07/13 at 12:26 PM ET

“Perennial contenders,” is how I would describe the Wings of the last 10-11 years.  “Powerhouse team,” IMO, means a sustained level of success to the level of the Wings of the Fifties, the Habs of the Sixties and Seventies, and the Islanders of the early Eighties with those HHOFers on all of those great teams.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 09/07/13 at 12:31 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

If the current crop of prospects (Nyquest, Tatar, Smith, DeKeyser, Mrazek, Sproul, Ouellet, Jarnkrok, Mantha, Frk, etc.) all “pan out,” and the Wings add a couple of solid top-line veterans, they may once again be a “powerhouse.” But right now, I like the “legitimate Stanley Cup contender” label (or maybe “consistent Stanley Cup contender”).

I do know that it’s been a long time since I’ve been as excited as I am right now about what the future holds for the Wings.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 09/07/13 at 12:34 PM ET

Ott is saying the Red Wings are a good team, I think that speaks for itself. How good, or how great is unknown. I don’t think he is talking about the past 10-20 years, I think he talking about today.

Posted by timbits on 09/07/13 at 12:57 PM ET

As an outsider, I still don’t like their 6 defensemen, but their goaltending’s solid, their top two lines are probably the best in their division and the bottom 6 isn’t anything to sneer at. They’ve got a lot of pinch hitters on offense. I also consider Babcock to be the sport’s best coach.

With Boston moving out Seguin, Jagr and Horton for Eriksson and Jarome Iginla’s ghost (and with Chara being a year older), I’d be awful surprised if the Red Wings don’t win their division.

Posted by larry on 09/07/13 at 01:00 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

As an outsider, I still don’t like their 6 defensemen,

As an ‘insider’, I’m not sure I like them either.

The Wings have one top two d-man in Kronwall, but I don’t really consider him a shut-down d-man, more of a offensive d-man with the ability to knock someone into next week.

Ericcson, DeKeyser (yes, even though he’s a rookie) and Kindle are top 4 defensemen, and Q and Smith are bottom six IMO.

I’d like to hope Smith will step his game this year, as honestly there isn’t much room for it to get worse.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 09/07/13 at 01:11 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Powerhouse org, just a playoff team at the moment.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that… just don’t let the Master Chief hear you say it.

Defense is still not good.  It’s still in a state where addition by subtraction may in fact be a real thing.

Posted by Primis on 09/07/13 at 01:14 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Detroit’s defense is still largely run by how good their forwards are at preventing smooth transition.  They don’t have a true lynchpin defenseman, but their D put up impressive numbers last year both in terms of goals against (helped by Howard’s performance) and in terms of shots against per game (again, the forwards have a lot to do with this because they were often too busy shooting at the other teams’ nets to allow shots against their own).

Still, a top ten defensive finish is now the expectation. They did very well last season and have 4 of their seven players in the age range where they’re supposed to still be improving.

If nothing else, the Wings might find success in what mrfluffy says they have: They have one top pairing D-man, five 2nd-pair caliber guys, and one bottom pairing guy (and no, it’s not Quincey or Smith; it’s Lashoff).

They’re also joining a division that’s much better at producing shots on net than the one they just left, so we’ll see what happens. considering that same division isn’t great at preventing shots of their own, I think the Wings’ team makeup and coaching can make them very successful.

Still wouldn’t call them a powerhouse. They should be near the top of the mid-tier contenders with a real shot at gelling late into the season.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 09/07/13 at 01:28 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

In 08-09, yes. In 13-14, maybe not. In 16-17, most definitely.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/08/13 at 11:55 PM ET