The Malik Report

Discussing The Skate To Howard’s Head From Corey Perry

Do you agree or disagree with Art Regner at FoxSports Detroit,

Perry, in trying to avoid Howard, leaped in air and clipped Howard in the face with his skate. Perry received a two-minute goalie-interference penalty, which the Wings squandered.

Howard appeared momentarily dazed but continued to play. After the game, he downplayed the incident.

"His skate just hit me in the face," Howard told reporters. "I was trying to get out of the way. It was nothing. It was harmless."

Thinking about it for the last couple of days, I believe Perry’s skate-scrape of Howard’s face was intentional and warranted a fine, maybe even a suspension.

In typical NHL fashion, the league did nothing because Howard wasn’t injured on the play.

more and if you need to review the play, watch the video below...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Figaro's avatar

I immediately saw it as intentional and am baffled why it didn’t warrant at least call from Shanaban.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/02/13 at 01:43 PM ET

OnlyWings's avatar

Perry the sleaze ball lifted his leg going through the crease to hit Jimmy, obvious to me when I saw it live and replays.  Payback at some point in the future, I hope!

Payback will start tonite with a WIN!  Selanne’s “Easier to play without Lids” should be on the dressing room wall for ALL WINGS D to see!

Posted by OnlyWings on 05/02/13 at 01:49 PM ET

Driving the net as hard as he did was intentional, contact was intentional, I don’t think the skate to the face necessarily was but thankfully they instituted helmets for goalies years ago.

Instead of carrying through a spot that really wasnt open he should have stopped.  That’s the issue.  That being said, I’m not sure if it really needs a suspension.  Howard did try to sell it a fair bit as well, and a penalty was called.

Don’t get me wrong, its borderline, but I think taking him out of what looks to be a competitve series would be a disservice.

Posted by neffernin on 05/02/13 at 01:50 PM ET

Nathan's avatar

Before I watched the reply I didn’t think much of it, but yeah, after watching it a few times it certainly looks like he intentionally bent and lifted his left leg much higher than was even close to being necessary to avoid contact.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 05/02/13 at 01:54 PM ET

Looking at it again I remember, the knee to the face was the scariest looking part of it and really it was due to positioning (he had to jump in order to not crash into Howard).

Again, Perry shouldn’t have crashed the net the way he did and it is his job to not hit Howard even with Kronwall pressuring him.

Posted by neffernin on 05/02/13 at 01:56 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I’m still not sold on it being intentional as Perry did ‘try’ to minimize contact. Even 4 years ago Perry would’ve plowed into Howard as they didn’t call things like this back then. Not that I’m defending that assclown but…Perry could’ve done a few things differently there.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 05/02/13 at 01:57 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

“This is a Corey Perry play that he will do time and time again.”

That pretty much sums it up. Kinda like Matt Cooke…you don’t know if it is intentional, but due to the history of the player you tend to lean towards the intentional side. ESPECIALLY since it’s against the Wings, because he’s a dirty piece of shit who goes out of his way to cheap shot as many Wings as he possibly can.

So…I don’t think it was suspension worthy by any means, but I feel it was intentional and the penalty was handed out.

Corey Perry is a dIck.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 05/02/13 at 01:59 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I agree with the announcers.  Perry only tried to maim Howard, not kill him. cheese

Posted by calquake on 05/02/13 at 02:04 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I was sold on it being intentional the moment it happened.  throwing your back leg up AND off to the side like that is not a natural movement.  he just about kicked himself in the back.

why doesn’t this rule apply?

48.1 Illegal Check to the Head – A hit resulting in contact with an opponent’s head where the head is targeted and the principal point of contact is not permitted.

is it not seen as a “hit to the head” if it’s a goalie?  if not, why not?!

what about this one?

49.3 Match Penalty – A match penalty shall be imposed on any player who kicks or attempts to kick another player.
Whether or not an injury occurs, the Referee will impose a five (5) minute time penalty under this rule.

it’s an AUTOMATIC 5 minutes and game misconduct for kicking someone in the head, according to the rules.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 02:05 PM ET

why doesn’t this rule apply?

Because the head wasn’t targeted.

what about this one?

Because he didn’t kick Howard.

Posted by Garth on 05/02/13 at 02:14 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

he didn’t kick Howard?  what video are you watching?

he deliberately drove to the net and contacted the goalie.  that contact resulted in him kicking the goalie in the head.  last I checked the refs “protect” the goalies…yet Howard doesn’t seem to warrant the same protection in their minds…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 02:17 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

and btw, we both know that since that rule went into place they’ve paid far less attention to “head was targeted” than “head was principal point of contact.”

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 02:17 PM ET

Ass Moses's avatar

Playoff hockey. He drove hard to the net. 2 minutes. Move on.

Posted by Ass Moses on 05/02/13 at 02:18 PM ET

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 03:17 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 05/02/13 at 02:37 PM ET

Ass Moses's avatar

“Who are you trying to fool by pretending you don’t now the difference between jumping and kicking?”

(I just watched it again)

It was a hockey play. Perry took a sharp angle to the net. Kronwall did he best to cut him off - successfully. Perry jumped over Howard’s stick and clipped him in mid air. Howard was in his crease - 2 minute penalty.

I do not want to see a culture of suspensions every time one player makes contact with another player in the heat of the moment of a hockey play. Suspensions should be for flagrant and intentional attempts to injure another player.

Posted by Ass Moses on 05/02/13 at 02:45 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

The only “automatic” penalty is delay of game. The rest is all circumstantial. Good thing Jimmah is tough.

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 05/02/13 at 02:47 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

kicking is hitting someone with your foot, Garth.  sheesh.

last time I checked, you’re not supposed to drive into the goalie.  seems to me driving into the goalie AND making contact with his head should be more than your standard “goalie interference” penalty.

but that’s just me.  I thought the league was trying to eliminate hits to the head, and protect goalies.  guess I was wrong.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 02:56 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

In all my years watching hockey I’ve seen plenty of player/goalie collisions.  I’ve never seen a guy extend his leg like that.  It doesn’t make any sense to stick your leg out like that if you’re trying to miss a guy either, especially considering how much distance there was between the players.  The only benefit of the doubt I can give Perry is maybe he was trying to lift his skate over Howard’s head.

Usually you do your to jump over a goalie or out of the way, or grab the net.  At best Perry made a cryptic decision in his effort to avoid contact.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/02/13 at 02:58 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 03:56 PM ET

If that was true contact to the head, like high sticking, would be an automatic two minutes and upwards according to severity.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/02/13 at 03:02 PM ET

Surfer Ken's avatar

He even jumps like a little bitch, leg flare and all.

Posted by Surfer Ken from San Clemente on 05/02/13 at 03:07 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

This is a perfect example of where we need a DMac on the roster. Beat his ass the old fashioned way, face to face.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 05/02/13 at 03:11 PM ET

Surfer Ken's avatar

Come next year we really a DMac on the roaster.  The East seems a little rougher.

Posted by Surfer Ken from San Clemente on 05/02/13 at 03:13 PM ET

I don’t think it was intentional,  When you jump while in stride one leg ends up in front of the other.

I also don’t think Howard over-reacted/sold the contact either.  When something hits your mask and your not expecting it, it startles you, he was following the puck not Perry.

I think 2 minutes was the right call.

And I agree with Moses

Posted by wingsnut25 from Cheboygan, MI on 05/02/13 at 03:52 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

He even jumps like a little bitch, leg flare and all.

I immediately thought of this LOL…

George: One of those kids called me a “Mary.”
Elaine: A what?
George: I was jumping over a puddle and for some reason I went like this. They called me a “Mary.” So I chased them, and I tripped and I fell.

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 03:53 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

I thought immediately it was intentional, and I agree with bezukov. I’ve never seen contact like that. Regardless of intention, Perry deserved to get knocked on his ass. What would the Ducks do if Tootoo did that to Hiller?

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/02/13 at 04:03 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

It looks incidental only if you consider someone with my athletic prowess attempting to get out of Howard’s way. Perry is a pro-athlete and has some serious agility the average person lacks.

It was intentional. There’s no way he doesn’t know where his skate is. Add this to Weber bashing Zetterberg’s head as an example of “Rules that are never ever allowed to be broken against anyone unless they’re playing for Detroit”

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 05/02/13 at 04:04 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

^ redxblack

Agree. It’s because no one really does anything about it when our star players or goalies take a beating. People take liberties against Detroit because Tootoo only plays 8 minutes a game.

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 05/02/13 at 04:10 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Perry is a dirty player. Perry needs to receive a dose of his own medicine. The Wings need someone to deliver a dirty cheap shot to Perry and take a suspension for the team; to do unto Perry as he has done unto others. Unfortunately, the Wings best candidate for such a job (Toots) is a black ace tonight. Missing out on a playoff run because of a dirty cheap shot play might just knock some sense into that idiot.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 05/02/13 at 04:15 PM ET

awould's avatar

I’ve never seen a player kick outward towards the goalie while jumping through the crease. I’ve seen many players pull their leg inward to avoid the goalie. I don’t need to know who the player was to know it was intentional. Knowing it was Corey Perry just supports that conclusion.

Posted by awould on 05/02/13 at 04:17 PM ET

I don’t think it was intentional no matter how dirty Perry tends to be. Perry was aggressively going for a playoff goal and clipped mid-air.  It’s not easy to control flailing limbs when falling at a high speed. If it were, people would deliberately avoid breaking their fall with their dominant hand. Yet that happens all the time because there’s not time to think, only react. The most telling fact to me is that Howard downplayed the incident in interviews. If he truly believed Perry intended to hurt him, using a deadly skate blade, he would have made that point very loudly and clearly. Instead he said “it was nothing”.

Posted by Frosty on 05/02/13 at 05:36 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Well, Paul, it’s a “natural” movement if the intent of the movement is to hit the goalie in the head. smile

If Fairy had wanted to avoid Howard, he would have turned his body to face him as he went through the crease. Like others, I immediately thought it should have been a five-minute major, a game misconduct, and at least a three-game suspension (since he’s already been suspended once this year).

Anyone think for a second that if it had been Tootoo doing that to Hiller that he would have gotten anything less than that?

It’s stuff like this that makes people pull out the tin foil hats – and reminds us all what a fricking joke this Bettmn-run league is.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/02/13 at 05:39 PM ET

I’m AMAZED by how many people think it was intentional.

Perry’s left leg was closer to Howard. He lifted it higher to try to get it over him without making contact. He failed.

Judging the guy because he’s a dick or because you think you can quantify his athletic ability is ridiculous. Look at what happens - he drives the net, still attempts to avoid contact, and gets bumped a bit by Kronwall. And he barely touched Howard.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 05/02/13 at 05:50 PM ET