The Malik Report

Detroit’s Skate In Dallas

via Dana Wakiji tweets,

morning skate:
Tatar-Zetterberg-Nyquist
Mantha-Larkin-Frk
Abdelkader-Nielsen-Helm (Booth works in)
Witkowski-Glendening-Sheahan

Kronwall Is skating today.

added 12:50pm, Wakiji...

Mrazek first off the ice.

added 1:39pm,

Below, the expected lineup fot the Stars...

via Mike Heika tweets,

Ben bishop looks like your starting Stars goalie Tuesday.

Benn-Seguin-Radulov
Elie-Spezza-Ritchie
Janmark-Hanzal-Shore
Roussel-Faksa-Pitlick

Lindell-Klingberg
Methot-Johns
Oleksiak-Honka

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I wonder how long Tatar and Nyquist will play together before the coach realizes this isn’t very effective?

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 01:11 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 01:11 PM ET

Thank you, they are getting over 21-22 mins Ice Time in the 1st 2 games, 1st unit PP time and playing with Z which is a bonus.

This was a problem last year. They have been invisible and Z is playing as best he can.

Anyway, time to trade one, my pick is Nyquist although the return might be disappointing.  Hopefully they do not take this into 2018. The 2nd line (assuming Mantha can get out of Blashill’s dog house) is doing quite well.

IF?? AA can be resigned he might be a candidate for some 1st line time. That will never happen after a prolonged contract dispute.

In the meantime, maybe promote Nielsen from the 3rd line but that messes up the Centers.

IMO, Sheahan and Goose need to be traded.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/10/17 at 01:25 PM ET

Nyquist has a NTC now I believe.

But yeah, I think the issue at this point is that the FML line has good chemistry, so breaking up Z’s line to try getting those 2 going potentially disrupts that. And it would be nice if just for awhile, Blashill would resist the urge to throw the lines in a blender every game and let them start developing more consistency.

Posted by RyanVM on 10/10/17 at 01:41 PM ET

Yeah too late to trade Nyquist. We had an opportunity but didn’t execute. Trades are hard.

While I like the idea of patience to develop chemistry…Tatar and Nyquist should have never played on the same line through camp, preseason, and the first 2 games. There seemed to be enough evidence from the past that they just aren’t that effective together.

I would have rather let Mantha play with Zetterberg and learn what it’s like to play with a truly elite centreman. Larkin could then benefit from a veteran presence on his line.

Mantha-Zee-Nyquist
Tatar-Larkin-Frk

Swap Nyquist and Tatar if you like.

I get the comeback…we want Larkin to develop chemistry with Mantha. Meh. That can come later. If Larkin and Mantha develop into elite players then it won’t take long to develop chemistry with each other in future years.

At least one positive is that Abby is nowhere near these lines. Finally. I’d frankly rather insert Sheahan into that mix than Abby.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 01:53 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Nyquist has a NTC now I believe.

How could I forget that??

Thinking this mess is probably better left as it is.  Sheahan on the PP is totally ridiculous. He has a good skill set but struggling to use it. I am not even sure a change in teams would help him.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/10/17 at 01:54 PM ET

Nyquist has a NTC now I believe.

Because a player or 2 don’t waive those almost on a yearly basis?

Posted by benzanato on 10/10/17 at 02:22 PM ET

duhduhduh's avatar

STFU.  People might get ideas.

Posted by duhduhduh on 10/10/17 at 02:23 PM ET

Nyquist has a NTC now I believe.

Because a player or 2 don’t waive those almost on a yearly basis?

Posted by benzanato on 10/10/17 at 02:22 PM ET

Yes sometimes that happens. But this is Kenny.

He clearly can’t even trade a roster player, let alone ask someone to waive an NTC that he doled out.

Save me the examples of Smith, Jurco, Vanek, Ott. Basically any GM in a similar position would do the same thing…sell off some pending UFAs at the deadline when you are a million miles away from a playoff spot. That was doing the bare minimum.

If he had successfully traded a Nyquist, Tatar, Abby, Howard, Mrazek, etc…then I might have taken notice. So just seriously ask yourself…on a scale of 1 to 10, how likely would it be for Kenny to ask Nyquist to waive his NTC and accept a trade to another franchise? 2 out of 10?

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 02:32 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Kenny fleeced Chicago on Jurco and got a decent return on Smith…

WHO WAS A HEALTHY SCRATCH ON SUNDAY. LOOOOOOOOOOL

Smith is -2, 2 shots, averaging 15:39, and is a terrible 40% corsi player.

WOW. Kenny gets another huge W in my book.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 02:42 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

And he is sitting again tonight - which may be more attributable to a winning lineup, but still.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 02:46 PM ET

WHO WAS A HEALTHY SCRATCH ON SUNDAY. LOOOOOOOOOOL
Smith is -2, 2 shots, averaging 15:39, and is a terrible 40% corsi player.
WOW. Kenny gets another huge W in my book.
Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 02:42 PM ET

The NYR media and fans were in LOVE with Smitty heading into the season, I guess that’s over.

Posted by Steve1306 on 10/10/17 at 02:51 PM ET

Why play Mrazek now while Howard has the hot hand. Instead let Mrazek play the back half of the back to back coming up.

Posted by evileye on 10/10/17 at 03:01 PM ET

Posted by Steve1306 on 10/10/17 at 02:51 PM ET

It seems to be Smith’s MO at this point, sucks in regular season and turns into a completely different player in the playoffs.

Posted by George0211 on 10/10/17 at 03:10 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Steve1306 on 10/10/17 at 02:51 PM ET

He sure has fallen since he started with McDonagh. His top linemates were Skej (so he’s been bottom pair) Zucc, JT, and Nash.  All four of them have much better corsi numbers WITHOUT Smith.

Holland stuck to his guns, wouldnt give in to Smith’s contract demands, shipped him off for a decent return, and now he is someone else’s problem.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 03:16 PM ET

Yes Kenny did well on getting good value for Smith and Jurco.

That isn’t the point. Selling pending UFAs when you are way out of the playoff race is a fairly basic, routine task by a GM. This doesn’t indicate that he is suddenly an astute trader that is bettering the franchise.

He should have recognized the cap hell he has put the franchise in and done something in the offseason to address this. A trade of Nyquist, even just for say a 2nd round pick, would have alleviated some of the cap constraints this season, and down the road. Using the expansion draft to entice Vegas to claim a Helm or Abby would have been a smart, proactive move for a rebuilding franchise. Oh wait, nevermind, we protected Abby, because I guess we were terrified Vegas might claim him.

Sorry, getting good value for a couple of UFAs who were spare parts on your roster (Smith and Jurco) does not negate all of the other stupid mistakes over the years. Doesn’t even come close.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 03:35 PM ET

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 01:11 PM ET

response: FS’s small sample size gambit.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 03:36 PM ET

I was surprised to hear Mrazek is starting tonight. However, the Wings have a really long stretch of games coming up. They play tonight, the back-to-back Thursday/Friday, two days off, then a game every other day for 13 days. It’s going to take two goalies to get through that. I have no problem with this decision.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 10/10/17 at 03:36 PM ET

I don’t understand…..

two wins. now we are discussing blowing up the lines? huh? I thought people hated it when Blashill put the lines in a blender….

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 03:38 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I just can’t believe Kenny got over on two GMs - totally exploiting their desperation. Those are smart, savvy moves from a veteran GM. Combined with Tatar’s good contract, signing Witkowski for needed flexibility in the lineup and grit to keep the flies away, and telling AA to shove it.

Kenny is actually keeping his word by letting young guys take spots - Frk,Jensen, Lil Bert. Good for him and good for the team, as Babs would say.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 04:00 PM ET

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 04:00 PM ET

I’m curious when you stopped having serious discussion and just became a parody account.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/10/17 at 04:06 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Iff it’s true that Glendening will replace Sheahan as the center of the 4th Line, I’ll be happy with that ... but it’ll come down to our top-9

I’m glad to see the obvious improvements from Larkin, if he keeps it up we’ll have something here.

LGRW.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 10/10/17 at 04:12 PM ET

I don’t understand…..

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 03:38 PM ET

In 2 games, we have 5 goals, and just 3 at even-strength. 4 of our goals are courtesy of Mantha-Larkin-Frk.  The rest of the roster has just 1 goal. Nyquist and Tatar have never looked that great when playing on the same line, and they look pretty invisible thus far.

So it was merely an observation that this line was not clicking, and was frankly poorly thought up from the beginning.

But I get it if you want to wait for a couple of losses to pile up before addressing something that clearly isn’t working. That’s probably what Blashill and most other coaches would do. But some might look beyond the final score and proactively make adjustments. Babcock tweeked his lines despite winning each game so far. But I get it. We’re 2-0. Don’t mess with it.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 04:14 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/10/17 at 04:06 PM ET

Ken Holland: Master Negotiator
Unofficial Detroit Red Wings

Both great facebook pages smile

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 04:21 PM ET

Proactive?.... did you make that word up?

/sarcasm

Posted by ThatGuy on 10/10/17 at 04:34 PM ET

we protected Abby, because I guess we were terrified Vegas might claim him.

there was absolutely no way Abby would have been claimed, so exposing him was just making feel non respected. And more importantly a lot of us always forget that KH wants to make the playoffs THIS year and does not care much about next year. And to achieve that goal he thinks that Abby is more important than Nosek and Nyquist is more important than a second round pick and he is probably right about that if again, the goal is to make the playoffs and not to become a cup contender 3-5 years from now.

I am very surprised Mrazek is starting tonight. With back to back coming up, the plan is to start Mrazek twice in 3 games? Surprising.

I never liked Tatar and Nyquist together, but last 30 games of last season showed that the line with Z as their center is very potent. Considering they are playing against the best opposition has to offer, I think they are doing fine so far.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/10/17 at 04:40 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Lol, right on! that’s why I block his inane comments.

Posted by damndog from The Eastside of Detroit on 10/10/17 at 05:27 PM ET

Damn, dog. :(

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 05:41 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Hilarious to watch MSG network make excuses for Brendan Smith. Glad its someone else’s job now.

This time its because he got married and came into camp out of shape. Apparently that’s what you get for 17 mil from Smith.

But he’ll be just fine, they say. Of course he will.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 10/10/17 at 06:24 PM ET

before addressing something that clearly isn’t working….

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 04:14 PM ET

Again, my response: FS’s small sample size gambit.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 07:12 PM ET

I don’t get the trade Nyquist thing? He’s a bonafide top 6 player. Why trade for a 2nd just to free space. If your selling low to free space, why not ship Abby to anyone for a 7th or a 6th and retain a 3rd of the salary? Why not ship out Helm for a 5th or some other low round pick? Why Nyquist? Because he has value? I’m sure if you put Abby on the block regardless of salary for a measly 7th round pick, someone would picl him up. Why trade a good player for cheap when you can sell a shìtty player for cheap?

Posted by benzanato on 10/10/17 at 07:31 PM ET

Which teams would give up a 7th round pick for the privilege of having Abby’s $4.25M on the books for 6 more years? Teams don’t do that. Look at the price paid just to get rid of 1 year of Bickell.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 08:05 PM ET