The Malik Report

Detroit’s Friday Morning Skate

Recapping the tweets of Khan and Pleiness.

Howard on the ice in full geat, working with Bedard, Andersson on the ice after 8 days and Weiss is skating too.

Alfredsson wearing a red jersey, may be playing tonight.

added 10:31am, Khan says...

Howard is facing shots, which obviously is a good sign since he said on Tuesday his knee would be re-assessed in a week.

added 10:41am, More Khan,

Based on how they're skating it looks like Alfredsson is back tonight, on line with Helm and Cleary.

Other lines at the skate: Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader, Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco, Miller-Glendening-Eaves.

Based on how they're skating it looks like Bertuzzi might be scratched. Datsyuk and Franzen are skating but not ready to play.

added 11:05am, MSM report Kindl still skating, looks to be out again.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

It is telling that dudes are coming back and Tommy Jurco is still playing….

That makes me feel warm and fuzzy, even though he has a ways to go, he is taking big strides and Mike (“ties go to veterans”) Babcock is responding in kind. This is not normal Babcockian behavior.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/24/14 at 11:00 AM ET

Paul's avatar

All the beat writers confirm, Alfredsson in tonight.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/14 at 11:01 AM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

The only thing that could make me happier than getting starters back from injury would be to not hear that insipid “ole” chant by the Habs fans tonight.  shut eye

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/24/14 at 11:10 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Down River Dan on 01/24/14 at 11:10 AM ET

They are playing in Detroit, we better not hear that chant.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 01/24/14 at 11:21 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Andersson hoping to return Sunday.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/14 at 11:23 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Howard looking at Tuesday for a return, in Phiily.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/14 at 11:25 AM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

I like scratching Bertuzzi over Cleary… I assum a lot of you disagree with me, tho’.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 01/24/14 at 11:26 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Weiss feels good, skated five times and still looking at returning in the first game after Olympic break.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 01/24/14 at 11:35 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by alwaysaurie on 01/24/14 at 11:26 AM ET

One of ‘em had to be scratched.

Remember the interview Babcock gave ...I think it was sometime around the Winter Classic, about the state of the lineup?Uncle Mike said something about putting players on the ice that put us in the best position to win., regardless of age.

To me, he clearly feels our kids put us in a better position than Bert has. This pleases me. I was afraid I’d get here today to find out Jurco got sent back. Granted, I also feel like Jurco is a little rough around the edges, but I digress. The kids have played their hearts out this season, and I couldn’t be happier to see they’ll all be playing tonight.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/24/14 at 11:40 AM ET

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 01/24/14 at 11:40 AM ET

Yesterday Babcock said that the team is quicker and works harder with the kids in the lineup. So maybe he is finally realizing that the dinosaurs’ time is over.

Posted by George0211 on 01/24/14 at 11:47 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

If Detroit is going to be a middle-of-the-pack hockey club, they need to do all they can to not stay that way. Playing the kids over the graybeards is the best long-term strategy.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 01/24/14 at 11:49 AM ET

Itrusteddrrahmani's avatar

So we should have the full team back for the first game after the olympics?

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/24/14 at 11:54 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I have been very impressed and surprised with Jurco’s size physicality and willingness to use both along the walls, it’s not something I had ever read about, I thought this was just a flashy hands kid, I haven’t been able to make it over to GR to see many games.

He’s playing Bertuzzi out of his spot in the lineup. Bertuzzi provides little aside from some toughness after the whistle, and a big body that’s tough to move around, which based on the roster makeup the last few years, the team had little of.  Jurco though, provides that defense grinding toughness within the whistles, because he has the speed to effectively forecheck.

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 01/24/14 at 12:00 PM ET

alwaysaurie, I know why they scratched Bertuzzi over Cleary - it is because Cleary still has value on the PK

Posted by VitoLambruski on 01/24/14 at 01:25 PM ET

So we should have the full team back for the first game after the olympics?

Posted by Itrusteddrrahmani from Nyc by way of A2 on 01/24/14 at 11:54 AM ET

IF all of our Wings players come back from the Olympics safe and healthy…  I do not wish for more.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 01/24/14 at 02:14 PM ET