The Malik Report

Detroit isn’t first in line for a Winter Classic, but I suppose we can hope

DetroitRedWings.com’s Jake Duhaime and Yahoo Sports’ Sean Leahy offer some thoughts about the NFL’s 2012 schedule as it relates to possible Winter Classics in Detroit and elsewhere:

Though a small news item that flew under the hockey radar yesterday may have a big role in next season’s buzz. The Wings may have cleared a key hurdle in hosting the 2012 Winter Classic. Sean Leahy of Yahoo’s Puck Daddy blog has the breakdown of the NFL schedule that nobody else has, specifically, who will be using a stadium on New Year’s Day and who won’t be.

New Meadowlands Stadium and Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia, long seen as future Winter Classic destinations, will be hosting NFL games on January 1st. Yankee Stadium, also seen as a potential site, will be in the second year of a bowl game agreement. And after the Metrodome roof collapse last season, TCF Bank Stadium may have an emergency plan, but it might not have the cache of other locations and matchups.

With Pittsburgh and Washington having played in the game in 2011, one must imagine that Heinz Field, FedEx Field, and Beaver Stadium in Happy Valley would be out of the mix. Chicago’s Soldier Field is not being used, but with Wrigley Field hosting the game in 2009, it would be hard to expect such a quick return.

Of course, we’re simply speculating, but between Michigan Stadium, Comerica Park, an original six club, and a strong DMA TV market, the idea of spending the start of 2012 outdoors isn’t too far fetched, like say, my New Year’s resolutions.

The Wings simply aren’t first on the runway here—the Rangers are, complications included, and it’s entirely possible, if not probable, that the NHL may have to give Canadian franchises an olive branch by bringing them into the Winter Classic mix, with the Heritage Classic being played on U.S. soil instead. It’s a wonderful thought, but I get the feeling that the Wings won’t host a Winter Classic any earlier than 2014.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Personally I would love a Winter Classic at Michigan Stadium.

Why wouldn’t the NHL look at breaking the NCAA world record?  Bring in Toronto or the Habs for that olive branch game.  Has Original 6 all over it as well for a selling point.

Posted by Monica McAlister from Michigan on 04/20/11 at 04:27 PM ET

Cliff's avatar

If we can reasonably rule out Boston, Philly, Pitt, Chicago, the New York market, and DC as hosts (as well as all of Canada), then who else besides Detroit?

Detroit hosting either LA Kings or Tampa is my early guess.  They use the Wings to open up the Winter Classic to a southern team that wouldn’t otherwise host one.  Both teams are youngish and on the rise.  LA is the bigger market, but Tamp is in the true south and has the obvious Yzerman connection.

Posted by Cliff on 04/20/11 at 04:34 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

It won’t be the WIngs until we get a new Commish.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 04/20/11 at 04:35 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’d love to see Wings/Leafs in Michigan Stadium.

NBC doesn’t want a Canadian team in the Winter Classic, but I think that’s a mistake on their part.  They’ve done a good job in the last seasons of getting fans that aren’t from the markets of either team to watch, I think that draw would be huge.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 04/20/11 at 04:38 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Have it in Columbus.

HAHAHAHHAHAhahah

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/20/11 at 04:55 PM ET

Have it in Columbus.

HAHAHAHHAHAhahah

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 04/20/11 at 02:55 PM ET

Oh jeebus…

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 04/20/11 at 05:01 PM ET

Cliff's avatar

JJ - I agree.  Wings taking on Toronto or Montreal at Michigan Stadium would be absolutely ridiculous.  But I don’t see it happening.

The only possible way that I might see a Canadian team is if there was a double header that involved two US-Canada matchups.  Maybe Toronto-Detroit in the afternoon and then something like San Jose at Vancouver in the evening.

Posted by Cliff on 04/20/11 at 05:37 PM ET

calquake's avatar

And this is a surprise to anyone because?

Posted by calquake on 04/20/11 at 07:09 PM ET