The Malik Report

Detroit Style Morning Line- Gregg Krupa

Presiding is a young coach who, though not yet improving the standing of his team in his third season, has remained unflappable in the face of frequent frustrating failure.

Coach Jeff Blashill is proving incapable of marshalling the necessary upgrades to put the Wings in the playoffs, and their identity is fleeting.

Under Blashill, some players are developing. His focus might have darkened, but it still seems clear.

-Gregg Krupa of the Detroit News where you can read more on the Wings...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

While Blashill seems fervent as coach his communication skills and game strategy seem to be lacking. One game this team looks really good and the next they’re lost. Jeff has labeled this as compete level, but that excuse is rare, especially from players in their contact years. No, they’re not prepared and look lost not because of compete level but are unsure of what the coach expects of them. A team will come in with some sort of trap and we can’t get through center ice. As Palmer says, bring in two players to forecheck and the wings have problems exiting their defensive zone continually. I know I’m in the minority, but I feel this team does possess the talent to make the playoffs, but we do need talent to getting the cup. To sum it up these players and this team are underachieving under Blashill.

Posted by stateofmifan on 01/29/18 at 09:19 AM ET

Colin's avatar

He’s actually doing this perfectly. What this team needs to make the playoffs is… well… a new team. After Larkin, Athanasiou, and Mantha, we are a team of guys on their way out or that never should have been here in the first place this year or last year. We need good draft picks over the next two seasons much, MUCH more than we need the 2% improvement from everyone Kenny thinks we need to slide backwards and on fire into the postseason.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 01/29/18 at 09:23 AM ET

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland’s new yacht, “Incompetence” on 01/29/18 at 09:23 AM ET

This was going to be my comment.  This TEAM is bad.  That includes the GM, the coaches and the players (save 2 or 3).

Posted by Steve1306 on 01/29/18 at 10:03 AM ET

Primis's avatar

DET has 2nd liners on their top line, 3rd liners on their second, 4th liners and AHLers in the bottom six, 2nd pairing guys as their top pair, etc….

Yeah, the team is simply not good enough.

It’s going to be a very long rebuild now.  It is.  Especially given DET’s drafting and development philosophy.

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 10:22 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

One game this team looks really good and the next they’re lost.
Posted by stateofmifan on 01/29/18 at 09:19 AM ET

What you described is a team driven by younger players, rookies, sophomores and a junior, all of which are carrying a load and in match-up situations they’re not prepared for. Not because of coaching entirely (shares blame in some aspects) but because of their age maturity and professional experience.

Bertuzzi for example, hell even Mantha, it is unrealistic to suggest that these two will show up as a rookie and a 2nd year guy with the same compete level over the 82 game grind.  Nothing in their junior/AHL stints prepared them for it. Yet due to where we are at in the cap cycle, we count on them to drive our bus day in day out. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don’t show up, and that’s what I expected from day 1.

I also don’t think Blash has unrealistic expectations, I think he has no choice. It would be nice if he could count on Tatar and Nyquist to drive this team’s bus, but be can’t so he’s rightfully given the wheel to them. With

I’m not saying Blashill is a great coach, he’s not, but age and roster has more blame than the coach IMO.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/29/18 at 10:51 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I still go back to the draft table. You can’t be perfect, no doubt.

But the team’s failure comes in not having the link between old, chronically injured vets and now our younger up and comers. And the link we do have are Tatar, under-performing winger, and Nyquist who is just a top 6 winger.

Holland’s words have him not going for the cup once Pavel retired. Yet, he still went out and re-signed Helm. I don’t blame him for Daley per se, because hell, look at our d-prospects. However, I can see the other side of that coin.

It takes a bold move or two to re-position yourself in the draft or in a trade to get top talent. Holland didn’t do it. So eventually, yeah, some of this is avoidable and some of it isn’t (Zetterberg’s decline isn’t avoidable, signing Abby for 7 years is).

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/18 at 11:05 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/18 at 11:05 AM ET

I agree.

Question for you, would you have applauded Holland back in 2013 had he traded Pavel and something, for say a prospect projected to be at a 2nd pair Dman with some upside, a 1st round pick, and a 2 conditionals in the 2nd to 3rd and a 4th to 6th?

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/29/18 at 11:43 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I don’t blame him for either Daley or Green.  The defensive pipeline has been so bad, they needed to get good d-men.  And in both cases, both were bound to be good trade deadline chips eventually.  Sign a guy for “free”, have 2 or 3 years of them, then trade them at the deadline to get futures (prospects, picks) back.  That’s a pretty smart way to do business TBH.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/18 at 11:05 AM ET

I don’t know what move there was though, in terms of the draft to move up.  I mean, the teams at those positions are there because they’re bad and they need the same help.  So it’s not always that simple.  I don’t know that criticizing Kenny for not trading UP is fair.  Would if have been worth it for DET to give up and Mantha and/or Athanasiou to get a Top 5 picks?  I don’t know…  those are the kind of prices it might cost to move up a decent amount of spots.

If one wants to criticize Holland’s tendency to trade DOWN for extra picks… that’s maybe fair I suppose.  A lot of medicore prospects is not favorable to one good one.  Is Matt Puempel (yes the one currently in GR) favorable to having XO and Jurco though, as an example?  Because those are the kind of trade-offs DET’s made in trading down.  DET did a similar trade with PHX in 2006 and ended up with Corey Emmerton and Shawn Matthias, instead of Chris Summers and Jordan Bendfield (who you’ve obviously never heard of).

The one big one people will keep coming back to is DET passing on a chance to get Chychrun to rid themselves of Datsyuk’s contract, and ending up with Cholowski instead.  I’m still not sold Chychrun is a top pairing guy eventually though so… if he does develop into that, then es DET missed out.  If not, the fact is Holland probably made the right move.

But at the end of the day… DET’s trade-downs haven’t turned out so bad, by and large.

It’s frustrating.  The more I’ve looked into this, the fact is DET has largely drafted well and smart.  Not a lot they could have done more than tank sooner I guess, to get higher picks the “easy” way.

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 11:44 AM ET

If we drafted Chychrun and just ate Datsyuk’s cap hit for another season, then we don’t have the cap space to write a $31.5M contract offer to Frans Nielsen. Not to mention the $19.25M cheque to Darren Helm. There was no need to create this cap space when you just squander it on unnecessary players that will now haunt us for years to come. Instead of 6 years of Nielsen and 5 years of Helm, you go out that summer, without much cash in your wallet, and you sign a Sam Gagner for less than $1M. You’re just filling a hole for a year on a roster that had a 0% chance to win a Cup anyway.

And even though this was all said in real time, some still claim it’s just using hindsight rolleyes

Posted by fatsavage on 01/29/18 at 11:51 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 11:44 AM ET

I’ve looked into this as well and the failure comes when Jim Nill was in charge of our draft board, now that falls at Holland’s feet, heavy is the head that wears the crown, but the Nill era of drafting albeit with limited and late picks flat out sucked.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/29/18 at 11:54 AM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 11:44 AM ET

Your post explains the sort of thing I don’t blame Kenny for. The signings of Green and Daley represent the sort of signings Holland should have been doing. Short term for valuable players that can be moved for extra rolls of the draft dice. My only issue with the Daley deal comes from the Athanasiou holdout and just how frustrating it is that Holland appears to always try to get as close to the cap as possible.

As for the drafting movements, I don’t really blame him either. Chychrun is still a question mark who got some points his rookie year before the league adjusted to him. Big deal. Cholowski is kinda tearing up the W right now for a defenseman, both players have similar chances of becoming top-4 defensemen in my eyes, and the cap relief from moving Pav’s contract should have been an asset. However…

Posted by fatsavage on 01/29/18 at 11:51 AM ET

THIS is the sort of shit that infuriates me about Kenny. He gets all that cap space which is an asset for a rebuilding team, the sort of thing that allows you to move up the draft board like Phoenix did by taking on dead salary. But what did Kenny do? Hand out extremely unreasonable contracts to players with arguable-at-best value for terms that make them utterly untradeable. That’s Helm and Abdelkader, and to a lesser extent, Nielsen. This is where you see how Kenny doesn’t really have any plan to get this franchise into real contention, because a GM with the goal of a cup and facing a rebuild understands how valuable an asset cap space can be when you are trying to land good talent in the draft, which again I cannot blame Kenny for. In fact, I kinda praise it…

Nill absolutely was bad with the draft. Granted, we rarely had a 1st rounder when he was in charge, but still. Since then, we have drafted Mantha, Larkin, Svechnikov, Cholo and Rasmussen. It looks like 4/5 of those guys have a real chance at being difference makers in the NHL, and all but one of them are mid 1st rounders. 2 of them look like budding stars in the NHL.

Signing Green was good.

Trading Pav’s contract was good. Wasting that cap space on high-risk, low value contracts for older players was bad.

Signing Daley was good. Signing Daley AND Witkowski when you had a game-breaking RFA to sign was VERY BAD. Creating such a logjam at defense that Joe Hicketts, who showed every indication of being ready for The Show in preseason got sent down to GR out of necessity was even worse.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 01/29/18 at 12:22 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

In my heart, no. But you know it as well as many others that Pavel is my favorite player at all time. To see him actually play in another jersey would have made me physically ill. This is a personal downfall that I am afforded as a fan. smile

In my head - with hindsight being unavoidable right now - yeah, that sounds great. I can’t say in 2013 whether I thought this team could still win it all, though.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/18 at 12:26 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland’s new yacht, “Incompetence” on 01/29/18 at 12:22 PM ET

I don’t even mind Nielsen.  You’re talking about UFA’s then.

Helm and Abdelkader though…. yes.  This is where Kenny has to take the hits.  I still don’t understand why he overpaid for them.  I don’t understand why he overpaid for Ericsson.  I don’t mind the FA signings (yes even the Weiss, where Kenny as taking a shot and it didn’t pan out).  Vanek was a freaking genius move signing before last season.

It’s the guys already on the roster that for some reason Kenny felt the need to overpay to keep.  And we’ve lost a bit of steam on it but…. my god was Ericsson’s extension signing horrific.

Nill absolutely was bad with the draft.

This is… really interesting.  I had never considered that aspect I guess, I kinda’ forgot.  You’re right.  Nill and the guys he took with him were technically around and still fairly responsible for 2013’s draft   Mantha, Bertuzzi, Janmark (who NIll then happily reacquired)...

Nill leaves for Dallas and took guys with him we though DET might really miss in the scouting dept.

Post-Nill DET then drafts Larkin, and surprisingly hangs onto and uses those bottom-half first rounders they used to trade out of, and gets the guys you mentioned.  We don’t know yet if the guys aside form Mantha and Larkin will “hit” but… there’s some real hope there.

In contrast, since 2014 DAL’s drafts don’t seem as strong.

I know there were some pitchforks out when Nill left but… in the end, Nills departure doesn’t seem like as much of a milestone, does it?

Witkowski is the perfect example of a typical bone-headed Kenny signing.  Witkowski.  Ott.  Toootoo.  Kenny seems to be still living in the 1980’s when he gets these guys.  Your BEST hope is that they don’t embarrass the organization along the line (which Witkowski has already miserably failed at IMO).

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 01:05 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/18 at 12:26 PM ET

I am the exception, I would’ve, and I said so at the time, I would’ve traded him and Kronwall. And if your trading Kronwal, Pavel isn’t coming back so leave that wishful thought of him only off the table.

Had he traded Pavel, 97% of HHHT would have marched to the Joe, tied holland to a rotating hockey stick with an apple in his mouth over an open fire. Therein lies the conundrum. While it would’ve been the best move for the franchise, HHHT nor ownership would have let him do it. Looking at our rosters back then I’m not sure what other bold move he could have accomplished to completely restock the shelves.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/29/18 at 01:22 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 01:05 PM ET
Before this year Ericsson was terrible, he still makes mistakes but DDK is a big disappointment to me. Makes shots from the point that hit a player ten feet in front of him, seems somewhat non-existent on defense. Salary too high, rather have Witkowski in there..

Posted by stateofmifan on 01/29/18 at 01:26 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Witkoski and/or Daley had nothing to do with AA, even though its been explained to you’all repeatedly.

Holland essentially traded Sheehan’s cap hit for Dailey, it had nothing to do with AA or Wit earning league minimum when he can be waived at anytime.

Reality is that AA’s contract was his own, it was set on comparable players, which they did not want to bump outside of as the rest of our young kids come up for contract. I think AA’s holdout set precedent for the rest of them to be honest because the Wings didn’t cave, he lost. And now he’s performed, he should get paid, and I doubt we see any other player test the Wings will over it, whereas if he hadn’t, we could see a Mantha holdout or something/

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/29/18 at 01:28 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by stateofmifan on 01/29/18 at 01:26 PM ET

I think that’s just it though.  We’re disappointed with DeKeyser.  Were we not, his contract wouldn’t seem bad.  There were signs and hope he’d grow into it.  He hasn’t.  I genuinely expected more from DeKeyser.

Ericsson… everyone knew at the time it was terrible and that he wasn’t going to grow into anything else.  So it’s particularly terrible in that it was so from the very moment it was signed.

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 01:39 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I would have been one of the 97% though, Murray.

that would have been more using my heart than brain, but still. smile

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/18 at 01:53 PM ET

In 2012 the Blues thought they had a roster to compete for a Cup. There were rumours of wanting to add Datsyuk to take them over the top. Young Tarasenko, who was still ripening in the KHL was rumoured to be the asset dangled to add Datsyuk. Jadsen Schwartz was another potential trading chip. I recall being called every single name in the book for suggesting Datsyuk straight up for Tarasenko. That would destroy our chance to win a Cup. The other veterans would probably fall into depression as a move like that would signal we don’t believe they can win a Cup.

Oh well, it was fun losing to Nashvill in 5 games that year. 9 goals in 5 games. Super exciting stuff. I mean, who could have possibly seen that coming right?

Posted by fatsavage on 01/29/18 at 01:56 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 01:39 PM ET

That’s simply not true. Ericsson was coming into his own, consistently playing over 20 minutes a night being very good defensively and was looking more and more like a perfect partner for Kronwall.
And don’t forget Babcock was practically in love with him. Remember the “you can’t teach size” comments?
Red Wings simply could not afford to lose the only big D-man they had. They may have over-paid slightly, but not by much. So to say everyone knew back then he was terrible and wasn’t going to grow into anything is just not true.

Posted by George0211 on 01/29/18 at 02:13 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 01:39 PM ET

For S&Gs; I found TMR’s announcement on Ericson’s deal, and guess what, all posts were positive.  A few Monday mornings later, “everyone” knew it was terrible the day it was signed? HAHAHA HEY HEY Holland Hate Hyperbole Town!

Time for HHHT on 52

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 01/29/18 at 02:50 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Great find.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/18 at 02:57 PM ET

Nice, great find.

Posted by George0211 on 01/29/18 at 02:57 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by George0211 on 01/29/18 at 02:13 PM ET

No, you are…. misremembering or something.  That simply is not the reality.  There wasn’t much positive or good to be said about it at the time even.

That is is from 2011 withthe $3.25m, 3 year deal, the one BEFORE the even worse current $4.25m with a NTC one, which was publicly derided and mocked even moreso.

Well, I guess we can just pretend that we signed him and Ericsson for 3 yrs each @ $2.35m.  Much easier to accept the latter contract this way.

Posted by dumbasrocks on 07/01/11 at 11:59 AM ET

Eaves’ contract balances out Ericsson’s…

Posted by RedMenace from *#$%@& Cancer on 07/01/11 at 12:26 PM ET

Boo the E-52 deal;

Posted by Jeff OKWingnut from Quest for 12 on 07/01/11 at 12:54 PM ET

Fuch, do I hate the Errorson deal.  Hate it.  Makes me want to punch myself in the face.

Posted by ITDeuce from The Sunny High Desert on 07/01/11 at 01:26 PM ET

In Kenny We Trust.

Definitely looks like too much for Big E, but in reality contracts should pay guys based on what they are expected to do during the contract, not what they’ve done in the past. So, let’s give Big E half a season under the tutelage of someone not named Brad McCrimmon and see how we feel about the contract then.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/01/11 at 01:31 PM ET

This was, in fairness, an attempt to be positive about it.  It was basically “He’s not worth it, but let’s hope he can become so”.  Which…. ugh.  So much ugh…  not that it’s Nathan’s fault.  But that really does seem to be Holland’s MO—let’s hope he grows into it”.

I think I can give E52 some bonus points for that, but I still don’t like him much and think he’s being paid more than he’s worth.  I guess only time will tell.

Posted by puppydogbones from Muskegon, currently stuck in Sabresland on 07/01/11 at 03:46 PM ET

It’s worth noting in that thread there was much more to be said about Eaves re-signing than Ericsson even.

Also, skip the parts of that thread that are about Brendan Smith,  Just…. trust me.  NO seriously, don’t read them.

Kenny has this habit of signing guys to contracts and hoping they “grow into” them.  It usually backfires when you operate that way.

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 03:31 PM ET

Colin's avatar

I wasn’t on KK at the time, but I have NEVER liked Ericsson. Had I been on here at that time, you would have seen comment’s like “Great, Kenny hands out a 6 year extension to an utterly replaceable and aphysical big D-man”. This extension was also signed with full knowledge of Ericsson’s degenerative hip condition by the front office.

I was also furious about his first extension for the very same reasons. I always viewed him as a big player with poor skating and terrible puck skills who was nowhere near as physical as his frame would suggest. An utterly replaceable player. I never understood his allure to this team.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 01/29/18 at 04:22 PM ET

That’s what I call a Truthbomb. Nice find! I love it when things blow up in peoples face. Like when I said Jurco was supposedly the next Hossa…and people accused me of making that up, nobody ever said that, blah, blah…then I find an article where both Kenny and Jim Nill were on the draft floor saying that Jurco reminded them of Hossa and that Jurco had as much talent as anyone in the draft. Haha. That was classic.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/29/18 at 04:35 PM ET

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperb

Ahhh….the “good old days” with JJ and Garth.

Nice find Murray.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/29/18 at 04:37 PM ET

Primis's avatar

I had to leave mid-research to get kids from school.  Here’s another TMR article focusing on Ericsson’s re-upping that I found while trying to find The Chief’s reaction to it.

It got 113 comments and they are…. well…

Garbage. The hell?

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 06/30/11 at 10:59 PM ET

Just terrible

Posted by Wingfan191 from Bothell, WA (originally from Troy, MI) on 06/30/11 at 10:51 PM ET

Wow, this is just plain ridiculous. Please just be a bad dream. Please, it has to be. We have the best front office, who in their right mind could possibly believe that this guy is worth a 3.25 mil cap hit? This just can’t be true.

Posted by Michiru Kaioh on 06/30/11 at 10:48 PM ET

Jesus F’ing Christ.

Posted by godblender on 06/30/11 at 10:34 PM ET

WTF???? He had 15 pts last season and 13 the season before! Kenny you drunk?
Paying him more than Kronwall season salary!

Posted by Slumpy from Under My Wheels on 06/30/11 at 11:23 PM ET

Hell, watching him play this season, I think many nights he definitely looked like a No.2….the steaming, stinkin’ kind.

Posted by dougie on 06/30/11 at 11:28 PM ET

For the first time as a Red Wings fan under the tutelage of Tick Tock’s reign, I question his sanity.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie, MI on 06/30/11 at 11:44 PM ET

*#$%@& Ericsson. What a waste. Sign and trade pleeeeze.

Posted by awould on 06/30/11 at 11:54 PM ET

Anyhow, you get the idea.

This was in 2011.  God… we’ve been tolerating Ericsson’s crappy contracts for almost 8 years now.

Let’s not rewrite history and try to make it seem like the Ericsson signing was *anything* but a complete a total catastrophe the FIRST time, let alone the more-expensive contract with the NTC.  It was known as one at the time.  My comment that it was known to be a joke the second it was signed stands.

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 04:39 PM ET

Posted by fatsavage on 01/29/18 at 04:35 PM ET

This is the difference between FS and Murray. FS demands respect, Murray doesn’t. This is a huge lesson folks.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/29/18 at 04:39 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Seven years.  My maths and tying are bad with the Dayquil going still.  My bad.

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 04:41 PM ET

I also recall some people feeling good about the Frans Nielsen signing…

-he’s no Datsyuk, but he’s a solid 2C, he’s great in shootouts, he’s a good playmaker, maybe it’s a bit long but that’s the price to pay for a “top” UFA, blah, blah

-there were a couple of people like me that tried to point out that his point totals were inflated by his PP opportunities alongside Tavares, and that he enjoyed sheltered even-strength minutes while Tavares attracted the toughest assignments, and that his game would rapidly deteriorate given that he was already 32.

But we were just haters.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/29/18 at 04:42 PM ET

Posted by fatsavage on 01/29/18 at 04:42 PM ET

You’re so smart and intellectual man, why ESPN, TSN, CBC haven’t picked you up as an analyst is beyond me. I’m so wowed by your amazingness right now. Please, please, please tell us more, we could all learn so much from you.

Posted by benzanato on 01/29/18 at 04:56 PM ET

Ask me a question and I’ll be happy to answer. Stick to hockey though. Stay on topic right smile

Posted by fatsavage on 01/29/18 at 05:18 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Never change, FS. Never change. Lol.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/29/18 at 05:33 PM ET

Islanders shouldn’t have drafted dipietro and signed him to a long term contract
Senators shouldn’t have traded chara

Etc etc

Look at me guys I’m so smart

Posted by refsproblem02 on 01/29/18 at 06:10 PM ET

Posted by Primis on 01/29/18 at 04:39 PM ET

We’re going to have to disagree. I remember a generally positive reception of his contract from both fans and media.

Posted by George0211 on 01/29/18 at 06:47 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

True for the forwards. Tatar and Nyquist were hopefully going to take the places of Datsyuk and Zetterberg, but of course it didn’t materialize. Add the disaster on the defense, and you have the current version of the Detroit Red Wimgs. confused

Posted by bigfrog on 01/29/18 at 10:02 PM ET