The Malik Report

Detroit Signs Nick Jensen To Entry-Level Contract

Detroit, MI...The Detroit Red Wings today announced that defenseman Nick Jensen has signed a two-year entry-level deal with the club.  In accordance with team policy, additional terms of the deal will not be disclosed.

Jensen, 22, was Detroit’s fifth-round selection in the 2009 National Hockey League Entry Draft.  The 6-1, 195-lb. rearguard spent the past three seasons with the St. Cloud State Huskies of the Western Collegiate Hockey Association, appearing in 119 career games and posting 86 points (15G-71A-86P).  The Rogers, Minn., native skated in 42 games for St. Cloud State in 2012-13, collecting 31 points (4G-27A-31P) and 14 PIM.  Jensen earned First Team All WCHA honors and was named a First Team NCAA (West) All-American this season.  He was also named the 2012-13 WCHA Defensive Player of the Year.

He looks mean!

Watch as Jensen talks after losing to Quinnipiac in the Froze Four semi-finals.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

MoreShoot's avatar

I watched him in the Frozen Four. In the first few minutes, I thought, hmmm, not bad, but not that special ... could use another year or two.  But then, as the game went on, I saw the smooth, elite skating, and I would see a shift where he is up ice and there is a turnover, a rush going the other way ... and there he is, checking the rush.  How did he do that?  The more I saw of that, the more I thought: ok, this guy could be ready after all.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/02/13 at 11:34 AM ET

One of the things I really like about these guys (DeKeyser, Jensen, even Smith and Nedomlel) is that they were vocal leaders and very competitive on their respective teams.  I really think that is a trait you can’t teach, that and toughness, so while I am excited about their talent, it’s the intangibles that make me more confident they will have success in this league.

Posted by bababooey on 05/02/13 at 11:51 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

For more about Jensen, take a look at his profile and this story on Red Wings Central.

This is a great quote from Jiri Fischer about Jebsen: “Every game I’ve seen him, he was the hardest competitive guy (on the ice) and he’s got the heart of a lion,” said Red Wings director of player development Jiri Fischer. “He’s in people’s faces, he’s taking people’s space away thanks to his skating, and he makes great outlet passes. He’s had a great year and we’re really happy with his development.”

He kind of sounds like DeKeyser with a bit of an “edge” to him.

There also are links in that story to the profiles on the Wings other top defense prospects Ryan Sproul, Xavier Ouellet, Mattias Backman and Alexei Marchenko.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/02/13 at 12:29 PM ET

Exactly my point OTC, these guys all have the intangibles that translates very well to the next level.  Ouellet has that as well, guys that are leaders and very competitive.

Posted by bababooey on 05/02/13 at 12:35 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Sounds good!

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 05/02/13 at 01:24 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

holy crap this guy is an assist machine!

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 01:27 PM ET

i bonrd.

And I can’t wait to see Ben Marshall as well.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/02/13 at 01:31 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

so how soon can they insert Jensen into the lineup?  how’s about tonight?

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 01:36 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I’d like to commend Nick and his fellow Seniors at SCS for their tradition of Locks of Love donations.  That’s a pretty cool thing and another example of why hockey players are the best people.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/02/13 at 01:41 PM ET

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 05/02/13 at 01:41 PM ET

+19, Figaro.  I’ve seen it at the ECHL level here in Vegas and they’re far more accessible, friendly, and caring than any other athlete at any level.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/02/13 at 01:48 PM ET

More Nick Jensen, his SCS teammates, and Locks of Love.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 05/02/13 at 01:57 PM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

I have a feeling it’s racist to point out that the NBA players don’t contribute to Locks of Love.  just sayin’....

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/02/13 at 02:28 PM ET

Good as he may be, I wish they had left him for his senior year. They’re going to have too many people signed to contracts.

Posted by teldar on 05/02/13 at 04:19 PM ET