The Malik Report

Detroit/Nashville Game Recap

Wings lose 6-4 to Nashville.

Real bad start by the Wings tonight but they started to play with some intensity in the last ten minutes of the 2nd period, then some sloppy play in the 3rd cost them.

If I would have told you the Wings were to score four goals against the a team hurting for goals (only Buffalo has fewer than Nashville), you would probably would have put two points in the win column.  But...

Besides the goals below, I will leave it to George to close this one out...

via George Malik tweets,

The Red Wings are playing like their heads and hearts are already in Ann Arbor.

You just can't play this lackadaisical against an opponent that views you as an archrival and compete.

Abdelkader

Datsyuk

Miller

Eaves

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

gowings's avatar

wow…that was ugly….and next week we get the Sharks and LA? In the words of Darren Pang “Holy Jumpin’”.......

Posted by gowings from MTL on 12/31/13 at 12:00 AM ET

Alan's avatar

If we play this crappy in Ann Arbor and out west, we’re gonna be rounding out the bottom of the EC standings by the time the Olympic break gets here.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/31/13 at 12:12 AM ET

I am so angry they played Jimmy Howard. He made some nice saves but it seems everyone else played their hearts out and no matter how many goals they scored Jimmy kept letting them put more goals in. Even Quincey played his heart out. I don’t get it.

Posted by griffinsfan on 12/31/13 at 12:13 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Even Quincey played his heart out. I don’t get it.

Should have strapped Q into the goalie pads, because even he made a better save than Jimmy.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/31/13 at 12:22 AM ET

RedMenace's avatar

The Red Wings are playing like their heads and hearts are already in Ann Arbor.

What the hell did I say in the LB?

Jesus, Wings, you need the points. I get the whole “marathon to the playoffs” mantra, but you can’t do anything in the playoffs if you DON’T GET THERE IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Posted by RedMenace from the Church of Jesus Lashoff on 12/31/13 at 01:08 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by RedMenace from Team Slovaskimo Fighting Snipers on 12/31/13 at 12:08 AM ET

I’m really torn at this point.  Trying to be fair in judgement the Wings need to cut 4-5 bodies and bring up the future so they can develop some chemistry or continue as is and hope to get healthy enough to make a run to and in the playoffs.  I’m beginning to like option A much more.

Posted by calquake on 12/31/13 at 01:45 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

This game made some things pretty obvious.

Jimmy Howard: He’s just not a top-tier goalie. If I was on the U.S. Olympic Committee, I’d be sending that third invite to Ben Bishop.

Brendan Smith: There are no defensemen on the Wings squad that he can be paired with who can make up for his mistakes. I don’t even think St. Nick could cover up for this lunkead’s gaffs.

Kyle Quincey: No defenseman should be as good as he is one minute and then be as bad as he is the next. If Ken Holland offers him anything more than a Griffins contract next spring, he should be fired.

Patrick Eaves: Why this guy has been sitting in the stands while Buckets (of Missing Teeth) has played almost every game is a complete mystery.

Mike Babcock: An absolutely horrible coach of young talent. If I was Jurco, Nyquist, Tatar, Pulkinnen, Jarnkrok, Manta, etc., I’d be looking for the first exit from the Wings organization that I could find.

Babcock was a perfet fit for the Wings when they were buying mature talent. But now that they have to develop it, not just in GR but in Detroit as well, he’s an albatross around the necks of these extremely talented young guys.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/31/13 at 02:20 AM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/31/13 at 01:20 AM ET

Amen.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 12/31/13 at 02:24 AM ET

Alan's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/31/13 at 01:20 AM ET

I disagree on Smith, but only because he’s still young. Hopefully he’s making these mistakes early and working them out of his system, because we’ll need him to be sharp in the playoffs. Smith being a young guy also ties into the Babcock criticism.

Everything else, I’m pretty much in agreement with.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 12/31/13 at 02:32 AM ET

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 12/31/13 at 01:20 AM ET

There it is.  In the meantime, Renney and Petersen have better experiences with young players.

Posted by SYF from Ball's Hill on 12/31/13 at 02:57 AM ET

Re:  Blabcock.  Remember when he said, “When you look at this team, and you say it’s not being coached, it hurts.”

STFU.

Posted by SYF from Ball's Hill on 12/31/13 at 02:58 AM ET

no excuse for Tatar, Nyquist and Jurco being in the bottom 4 of ice time. 8 minutes and change for Jurco? what does babcock see in Bertuzzi and Buckets where he plays them more? Speed? nope. Hands? nope. Heart? nope. Skill? nope. Shot? nope. Passing? nope. Creativity? nope. Play-making ability? Nope.
seriously. no idea what. For the life of me I cant think of any reason. Bertuzzi loses puck in corner or behind net. Bertuzzi meanders through neutral zone at a molases pace. Cleary fires puck at goalie from just over blue line. Cleary makes inaccuracte pass. Cleary loses puck in corner, along boards, in neutral zone. I love hockey, every bit of it, have watched and played my entire life, and I see nothing in these two players (sammuelson as well) that would necessitate giveing them any ice time no matter if its first or fourth line. It isnt personal, its business, and its theb usiness of winning games, and Cleary, Bertuzzi, and Sammuelson do not give the wings the best opportunity to win games and score goals. Nyquist, Tatr, Jurco and even Eaves do. There is no way around it.
I dont know if it is stubborness or not, but Babcock needs to wake up.

Posted by Munnster9 on 12/31/13 at 09:36 AM ET

The team actually didn’t play bad. The current Red Wings team is not the team that can dominate an opponent for the entire 60 minutes, not any more. So we should be accustomed the stretches of “What the *#$%@& is happening here?”

In general I thought the team played well. Outside of Smith’s usual awfulness which are all used to at this point, this was a good game. But you can’t win if your goalie is letting in 3, possibly, 4 soft goals.

I tend to agree with OlderThanChelios, that Howard is not an elite goalie, but I am not sure.
Buckets, I actually don’t mind him on the 4th line. I had a an issue with him getting top 6 minutes over players who are a 100 times better.

Posted by George0211 on 12/31/13 at 09:43 AM ET