The Malik Report

Detroit/Dallas Short Recap

Wings lose to the Stars 4-2.

It has been a 16+ hour day for me so I will catch up in the morning.

Feel free to discuss the game.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

ilovehomers's avatar

Razr with a Samuelsson awful 3rd goal but held on from there. Wings got tired? Couldnt disrupt the Dallas PP.

Still dont understand why Blash wants to break up the line that has now scored 5 of their 6 goals. Luckily he put them back together.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 11:29 PM ET

Ericsson had his best game, looked very solid, but Green had his worst I think.
Still not sure why Howard was not in the net tonight. Overall we were thoroughly outplayed and outmuscled.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/10/17 at 11:45 PM ET

Royal Grand Exalted PooBah's avatar

After a bunch of beers I think I’ll wait till tomorrow too.

Posted by Royal Grand Exalted PooBah from the basement of the Alamo on 10/10/17 at 11:57 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

There you go, folks. Welcome to your 2017-18 Mrazek Wings – a few really nice saves followed by just as many “Ah, where the hell is the puck” misses.

If Blashill plays Mrazek in anything other than back-to-back games this year he should be fired on the spot. The kid lost his “mojo” nine moths ago, and it doesn’t look like it’s ever coming back.

Meanwhile, our “lost asset” Nosek scored his first goal for the Golden Knights as they lead the Yotes 4-1 in the second. Over in Wings Land, Booth sat in the stands while Witkowski played four minutes and laid a big hit on tonight so I guess Holland really is a genius.  rolleyes

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/11/17 at 12:02 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

4 minutes?

A2Y didnt like this penalty, but Dallas went up 3-1 then Witter took an interference call. Sigh.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/11/17 at 12:12 AM ET

Well jeez, what’s he supposed to do, keep them together?

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/11/17 at 12:16 AM ET

So we’re up to 4 even strength goals in 3 games. And another invisible night of Nyquist and Tatar on the same line. Much like last year.

But some people need more evidence before making any adjustments…

Posted by fatsavage on 10/11/17 at 12:19 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Well jeez, what’s he supposed to do, keep them together?

What is yes.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/11/17 at 12:19 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

Howard should have been in goal. No reason to start Mrazek. Howard had two days of rest after two wins…no reason at all.

That third goal on Mrazek was a killer. He look like the same goalie from last season, capable of hot dog saves but in the long run you can’t trust him. To play him was a Blashill mistake, his first of the season.

And to play Sheahn on the PP is another Blashill mistake. A front of the net guy ?? the guy is 6 3 but can’t stand on his feet as soon as he gets wack.

Pathetic to play this guy when we expect a goal..HE CAN’T SCORE !!!

Mantha was floating like an ice capade for two periods, got better in the third, more intense and got reward with a goal. Mantha is not my type of player, he will need to learn to play hard all the time.

We were intense and played hard and probably deserve a better faith, but Dallas was hungry too.

Let’s move on…

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 10/11/17 at 12:25 AM ET

PierreC's avatar

Overall we were thoroughly outplayed and outmuscled.

Posted by

VPalmer

on 10/10/17 at 11:45 PM ET

dont know what game you were watching. Outplayed and outmuscled ? Again all negative…i didnt see anything like that. We worked and played hard.  It was a close battle

Posted by PierreC from Montreal, Canada on 10/11/17 at 12:28 AM ET

So let me get this straight…Blashill should NOT break up Mantha-Larkin-Frk because they are playing well.

In isolation that’s very logical. Don’t break what’s working.

But if the result of that decision means 3 other lines are utterly useless, then you need to look at the broader picture. Breaking up a winning line might be the catalyst for 3 other lines to start contributing.

We have plenty of evidence from last year (not 3 games, but a large sample size) that Nyquist and Tatar are not very effective together. Even Zee can’t make that duo work.

Despite being 2-0 I was calling for these lines to be juggled. But I was mocked. Maybe after this ugly performance Blashill will make some adjustments, and perhaps some of those who mocked me will start to understand what I’ve been saying. If only we had another dynamic forward that could score 5-on-5…

Posted by fatsavage on 10/11/17 at 12:33 AM ET

I wouldn’t mind Janmark, Jarnkrok, and Nosek in my bottom 6.

But Abby, Helm, Sheahan, and Glendening are pretty dangerous too. Lots of ties to Michigan and babysitters too.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/11/17 at 12:35 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Do people with different opinions than you hurt your feelings, FS?

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/11/17 at 12:36 AM ET

Didn’t see game, no one mentioned Larkin or Neilsen.

Posted by stateofmifan on 10/11/17 at 01:19 AM ET

Didn’t see game, no one mentioned Larkin or Neilsen.

Posted by stateofmifan on 10/11/17 at 01:19 AM ET

Larkin played OK. Had a couple of scoring chances. Used his speed.

Nielsen was invisible.Lost almost 70% of his faceoffs. But anyone playing with Helm and Abby is set up to fail. He collects a huge paycheque, but probably has wondered why he signed here. Adding AA to his line would obviously be a huge upgrade.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/11/17 at 01:31 AM ET

Can someone thank Blashill for insisting that we REALLY, REALLY needed to sign Witkowski. He was a big difference maker for those 4 minutes. Also a roommate of Dekeyser so that’s super neat. Great talent evaluation.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/11/17 at 01:40 AM ET

Alan's avatar

I really can’t pin the first two on Razer. The third goal should have been stopped. Like I said in the live blog, Razer was about a half-step behind, and the Stars capitalized. There isn’t really anything we can do about it, but to remember this and play better moving forward.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 10/11/17 at 06:59 AM ET

——-dont know what game you were watching
——-same game as you, just without the rose glasses. It was not really as close as the score indicated. Not negative, just a reality. Dallas is a better team, but I agree we played hard. And yes, outmuscled. Tatar and Nyquist looked like mice playing against elephants for most of the game and were not allowed any time and space at all. The positive was Ericsson, I thought he played a solid game. I thought Z had some nice moments as well. And we scored 2 beautiful goals.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/11/17 at 07:54 AM ET

I agree, I don’t get the decision to go with Mrazek against the Stars. Howard has been stellar. With the upcoming back to back games that means that Petr will likely be starting 2 of 3 on this little west coast trip.

Posted by Steve1306 on 10/11/17 at 07:58 AM ET

Razer should have had the third goal but janmark shouldn’t have been able to take it to the net. 2 Dallas player entered the zone with a bouncing puck through 3 or 4 wings with little resistance.
Just like the last few seasons we are unwilling or incapable of picking up loose or 50/50 pucks. Also the passing and receiving sucks as has been the case for a few seasons as well.

Posted by ChillDistiller from Michigan on 10/11/17 at 08:08 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Ericsson had his best game, looked very solid, but Green had his worst I think.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/10/17 at 11:45 PM ET

It never ceases to amaze me how two people can watch the same game and come away with two very different impressions. I’m usually pretty hard on Green because he’s just not that bright, but I thought he hustled his butt off in his own end last night, and Ericsson floated through every shift like he had accidentally found himself on the ice and didnt know where he should be.

He cost them in zone time on several occasions and that limp wrister in the 3rd was the icing on the shit cake that is his career.

But I do agree they were outplayed, out muscled and out coached.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 10/11/17 at 08:25 AM ET

——-It never ceases to amaze me how two people can watch the same game and come away with two very different impressions.
——-that’s very true, lol. I just thought compared to the first 2 games, E was moving the puck well and the expectations for him are so low, I thought if the guy goes through the game without any major blunders, it’s a big accomplishment. And he did not lose many puck battles. And I am not saying Green did not play hard, I just thought his passing and coming out of the zone with the puck was sloppy yesterday. A good example was on a PP in the second period when he turned the puck over and Larkin took a penalty. Also in the final seconds he turned the puck over right in front of his net allowing Stars to score an empty netter. The goal itself did not matter, but that was that kind of night for Green. And my expectations of him are much higher than E.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/11/17 at 08:37 AM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 10/11/17 at 12:02 AM ET

You mean our TERRIBLE defense hanging him out to dry?

Goal 1 saw DeKeyser let a guy muscle past him in front of the net, setting up the most timely screen I’ve seen in a while. Mrazek had NO chance.

Goal 2 couldn’t have been saved by Carey Price.

Goal 3 saw Mattias Janmark scythe through 3 Red Wings defenders on his way to the net.

But some people need more evidence before making any adjustments…

Posted by fatsavage on 10/11/17 at 12:19 AM ET

Well jeez, what’s he supposed to do, keep them together?

What is yes.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/11/17 at 12:19 AM ET

So here is where we need to break up that FML line. As great as they’ve been, this last game in particular has shown that Mantha needs to be playing with Zetterberg to show him how to be 100% on again like last year, and Nyquist just can’t handle the head of first line duty.

So I propose we switch those two.

Mantha-Zetterberg-Tatar: Was by far and away our best line last season, why Blash refuses to ice them still boggles the mind.

Nyquist-Larkin-Frk: Larkin and Frk show some ability and drive to battle on the boards so it won’t matter if Nyquist hides from contact on this line as much. It would also help to have at least a marginally better defensive forward on this line in Nyquist.

As for our defense, I wish we could throw those lines in an actual blender after the game. We have no hope on D, and I’m not surprised at all by it. Ericsson had his best game, but that being his best game means that his ceiling is a replacement-level 6D. Should have let him walk in 2012 when we had the opportunity to find literally a warm body to replace him. Green was atrocious, DeKeyser got manhandled, Ouellet and Jensen were made to look like pylons by Alex Radulov and Mattias Janmark. Daley was meh. He made a couple good plays, but his acquisition is starting to look more and more like a complete non-factor not because he is bad, but because our defense is a whole is so bad that any acquisition short of landing Drew Doughty in free agency won’t do shit to plug the holes in the sieve.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 10/11/17 at 10:31 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

At the beginning of the year, I believe we agreed, Colin, to move Mantha up for size.

However, Blash made the Frk/Abby switch in game yesterday and it did…nothing. Which is why he went back.

And here we are stuck in this conundrum of - people hate that Blashill puts his lines in a blender, but now he should be changing them up. I know that’s not a strong argument (the idea of the blender is in-game lines) - but I think I’d first tell these lines to friggin figure it out or else.

Put their feet to the fire before making changes. And can’t we make changes without disrupting FML? Well, we don’t have many options, but put Nyquist on the 3rd line to give them a scorer (HAHAHAHAHA) and Abby on the 1st to pull the Piano and dig for pucks (not my personal assessment, but coach speak).

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/11/17 at 11:04 AM ET

I am totally in agreement to have Mantha with Z and Tatar, It worked before. But that would mean Abby playing with Larkin and Frk? I don’t like that. I do not like Nyquist with Larkin and Frk either.
Maybe Mantha-Nyquist-Z and Larkin-Frk-Tatar?
Of course, AA in top 9 would have made things a lot easier.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/11/17 at 11:11 AM ET

To be clear, I am not a fan of putting lines in a blender. I never said that. Guys need time to be comfortable.

My point is…very simple in fact…the lines he started the season with are very poorly constructed and doomed to fail anyways. I said that despite being 2-0. There is enough evidence from previous seasons that Nyquist with Tatar is not effective. There is evidence that Mantha looked great with Zee.

Construct sensible line combos. Then stick with them for awhile.

But instead some call me a hypocrite for criticisizing Blashill regardless.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/11/17 at 11:16 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

But instead some call me a hypocrite for criticisizing Blashill regardless.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/11/17 at 11:16 AM ET

We understand that you are upset that other people have different opinions. You make solid points, just relax a little on the superiority complex. lol

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/11/17 at 11:19 AM ET

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/11/17 at 11:19 AM ET

I don’t get upset when people have different viewpoints. It’s sometimes frustrating when people put words in your mouth though. Here is what you just wrote:

So again, that suggests some of us are just spoiled silly little fans that get upset when Blashill mixes up his lines and then gets upset when he doesn’t.

That isn’t the problem. That isn’t what I’ve said. That isn’t what others have said. The problem is the lines that he constructed from Day 1 are not optimal. They are terrible. They were when we were 2-0. And they are now as well.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/11/17 at 11:32 AM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Just relax and stop taking things so personally. Calm. Down.

You were the one who was supposed to be boycotting the team anyway, so I am not sure why you get so upset when counter points are made. lol.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/11/17 at 11:42 AM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Sit Nyquist then give him 7 mins of ice time on the 4th line, no PP time..  I think he might waive his NTC. Trade him!

Tatar and Nyquist have Zero points, Z is carrying that line. Only 3 Games but only one player with points on our 1st line that gets over 20 mins every game, so far.

Nyquist , the Horse , would be better!  Tatar , I don’t know what is going on with him.  Hope Tats changes soon, if not he will be squeezing his stick.

Is there another team with a Top line that is as bad as the Wings, can’t be many. Poor Z!

Blashill does not appear to be the right coach for this group, not sure if there is a right coach.

Blash probably thought giving Howard Vegas would be nice, chances are that will backfire

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/11/17 at 01:33 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

What percent blame do we put on Coaching. vs. Management for the team’s performance last year? (Too early to say this year).

60/40, 50/50, 20/80?

Just curious.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/11/17 at 01:41 PM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/11/17 at 11:04 AM ET

Yes I believe we did. Clearly Blash didn’t, so here we are.

I am saying that using these lines in the first place was a bad idea. Yes, I don’t like the blender, but in this case it is pretty clear that something needs to be done. Consider it more a tweak of the recipe to balance the flavors than a full blend-job. To avoid what you say: having Abdelkader waste a top-6 spot, the best way is to draw a clear line and say 21,40,14,39,71, and 42 are our top 6 guys. It isn’t just about putting a big guy out there, it’s about seeking balance. A 2-way playmaker (Z & Larkin), a good-sized power forward type (Mantha & Frk) and a floaty triggerman (Tatar & Nyquist) on each line. Z’s line doesn’t work because there is no balance. An older 2-way playmaker with 2 floaty triggermen will not work. Nyquist and Tatar can be expected to produce more points, but we’re lying to ourselves if we think either one can reasonably be expected to become an effective board/utility player like Mantha and Frk are. They don’t have the size and/or the toughness to do it. IMO, if you’re under 6’ & 200lbs, you’re not going to find much success on the boards unless you are a superstar. I think the lines I put forward are the best way to balance these lines and fill their gaps without getting crap talent like Abdelkader put in the rotation.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 10/11/17 at 03:29 PM ET

Colin's avatar

60/40, 50/50, 20/80?

Just curious.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/11/17 at 01:41 PM ET

20/80 for me, as a coach has to play the hand he is dealt. Even Babcock struggled to do anything with this team after Lidstrom left and we lost the Suter lottery.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 10/11/17 at 03:30 PM ET

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland’s new yacht, “Incompetence” on 10/11/17 at 03:30 PM ET

Agree with this. Kenny is more to blame. One might even argue this is 100% on the GM…since he’s the one and only person who should be able to recognize his coach is a clown and do something about it. The buck stops with him. You can’t blame a terrible restaurant on the chef, when ultimately the owner is the one who:

1) Hired him (without doing any other interviews)
2) Refuses to fire him