The Malik Report

Despite Numerous Efforts, Daniel Alfredsson Not Well Enough To Practice

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

More and more signs are pointing to Daniel Alfredsson retiring rather than returning to the Detroit Red Wings.

Afredsson, less than two months shy of his 42nd birthday, is no longer skating at Joe Louis Arena, and last week told general manager Ken Holland that there wasn't much of a chance that that would change.

"He was feeling pretty good but was getting frustrated because he wasn't getting over the hump," Holland told the Free Press today. "He would feel good, push it and have a setback. He was frustrated because he was not able to get to the point where he wants to be at to tell me he wants to practice with us."

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Might be time to move on from him.

Posted by George0211 on 10/15/14 at 02:39 PM ET

In my opinion it’s long past time for the Wings to move on, but now it’s sounding like it’s probably time for Alfredsson to start looking at life beyond hockey.

Posted by Garth on 10/15/14 at 03:01 PM ET

Love Alfie, will give him a standing O whenever the Sens decide to retire his # 11, but very glad Ottawa no longer has to deal with this situation. Sounds like a big head ache.

Feel bad for any athlete who’s body no longer cooperates with their desires. Can be a sad reality I’m sure.

Posted by Chris M on 10/15/14 at 03:19 PM ET

I wish he would continue to work on what ails him. Never know, even if he didnt make an appearance till after January, he could provide another boost as well as leadership down the stretch.

Posted by Bushay on 10/15/14 at 03:28 PM ET

@Bushay: Yeah, I agree. Maybe he’s knows his back’s just not responding and doesn’t want to put himself or the team through much more of this. But this is a situation in which Holland’s patience and loyalty have looked good. If Alfredsson could be healthy by mid-Winter, I don’t see too much harm in adding a smart veteran with that big right shot, while making more cap room and playing time available in the meantime. Obviously he and the Wings would have to really know and test it before committing, especially if signing him affected plans at the deadline.

Posted by Lefty30 on 10/15/14 at 09:14 PM ET

The problem, as I see it, is that if it is taking this long for Alfredsson to “recover” from a relatively healthy season, why is there any reason to assume that if he signs in January or February, he won’t get injured at the drop of a hat when he does come back?

That is, if they sign him around deadline time instead of making a trade they might have made, the Wings are screwed if he gets injured.

Posted by Garth on 10/16/14 at 12:22 PM ET