The Malik Report

DeKeyser Reacts To Being Invited To USA Orientation Camp

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

“My head is spinning a bit still,'' DeKeyser said. “I’m just trying to stay focused, keep my head on straight and keep working hard. Everything that’s been going on over the past few months has been great. I know that I need to keep working hard to keep those opportunities coming.''

After taking a couple of weeks off, he has resumed working out in preparation for his first full pro season. His objective is to bulk up his 6-foot-3, 190-pound frame.

“They just keep telling me to get stronger,'' DeKeyser said. “I need to be as strong as I can to play against some of the bigger players in the league. There are some big guys in the NHL that you have to handle out there. They want me to continue working on my strength and maybe gain a few pounds.''

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Hootinani's avatar

Glad to see him get the honor for his hard work, but I would hate to see him get picked this time around.  It will be hard enough for him to keep up coming from a 28 game season to an 82 game season (plus playoffs hopefully), but then to cram in another bunch of games in a 2 week span on top of it, seems like it could be overkill for his first full season.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/23/13 at 10:38 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Posted by Hootinani on 07/23/13 at 11:38 AM ET

I agree. As a Wings fan, I don’t want to see him get run into the ground too hard in his first full season, and as a Team USA fan, I don’t think he’s one of the six or seven best (yet) anyhow. Maybe in 2018 if they play he will be. But now, I think you got all these guys ahead of him easily:

- Bogosian
- Byfuglien
- E. Johnson
- J. Johnson
- Martin
- Orpik
- Shattenkirk
- Suter
- Yandle

Really, and I say this as no disrespect to DeKeyser, he’s probably the last guy on the list here. Some guys might not be as “ready” as he is, but have more top-end talent (Jones, Trouba, Faulk), and some guys probably are just about as good as him (or as good as he projects to be, but have experience on him (Leddy, Carlson, McDonagh).

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 07/23/13 at 12:23 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

He’s got a weird natural talent.  It’s VERY Lidstromesque in the sense that he doesn’t wow you, but shit happens when he’s on the ice.  His hockey IQ is top tier, even amoung the “favorites”, in my limited opinion.  Give me him over Shat, Orp, Martin, E. J., shit even Bogosian.  There’s a lot of “potential” talent on that list but as far as the eye test goes, DDK’s in my top 6.  Just my opinion, and only based on the eye-test.

Also, in 4 years, when he’s just coming into his prime, with loads of NHL experience under his belt with the greatest team in the league, I’d rather he be an Olympic veteran as well.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/23/13 at 01:30 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Kid has had an incredible amount of success and good things happening to him over the last 3 or 4 months.  Joined the Wings, was a stand-out on their D, won the Calder Cup, then invited to Olympic Orientation Camp.  Hope he stays humble, but man, he can have an incredibly bright future.

Posted by TreKronor on 07/23/13 at 02:11 PM ET

cementslinger's avatar

Just to make sure that I have this right: Chris Chelios is NOT going to play for team USA this year?

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/23/13 at 07:15 PM ET

Posted by cementslinger from Midland MI on 07/23/13 at 08:15 PM ET

I…I can’t verify that neither.  Sorry…

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/23/13 at 07:29 PM ET