The Malik Report

David Perron picked the wrong Red Wing to mash into the boards face-first

I put this clip in the quick take, but I'm guessing that it probably deserves its own thread. I hope that the NHL doesn't call Red Wings forward Johan Franzen for this, because Franzen was assessed a 5-minute major and a game misconduct for spearing David Perron after Perron absolutely mashed Franzen's head into the glass via a "hit the numbers" check from behind.

Mind you, I'm a biased Wings fan, and this video--from Paul--is narrated by the Blues' announcers, but Perron got 2 minutes, Franzen got 5, and that should be the end of it.

Update: Via RedWingsFeed

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

SK77's avatar

Total dick move by Franzen.

Posted by SK77 on 02/07/13 at 11:04 PM ET

bigdee89's avatar

He’s been frustrated for a long time.  Seems to be more of a bitch than a mule lately.  However, if someone caught my teeth in the glass I’d probably have the same reaction.

Posted by bigdee89 from The Great White North Eh? on 02/07/13 at 11:53 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Still registering almost a point per game…He’s played much better than anyone’s given him credit for playing.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/07/13 at 11:58 PM ET

John W.'s avatar

Total dick move by Franzen.

Posted by some kid on 02/07/13 at 11:04 PM ET

And Perron?  Franzen was just standing there, back to Perron the entire time who comes out of nowhere, straight at Franzen and intentionally rams his head into the glass from behind.  Pretty dick move coming from a guy who was out with a pretty serious concussion not very long ago.

Perron deserved more than the 2 minutes he got, since that was very clearly intent to injure.  If you’re gonna do shit like that you deserve to get speared in the balls.  I’d say lesson learned.

Posted by John W. from a bubble wrap cocoon on 02/08/13 at 12:03 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Things evened out, and the gents can take things up again next Wednesday.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/08/13 at 12:05 AM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/07/13 at 11:58 PM ET

ahem.

than most people have given him credit for*

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/08/13 at 01:27 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Point taken.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/08/13 at 01:36 AM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Total dick move by Franzen

Damnit you beat me to the dick joke.

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 02/08/13 at 01:43 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Franzen is becoming a hot-head, and as a result is muting more and more Red Wings PP chances. I know, that might not be a bad thing, but, still.

I understand it was a shitty play by Perron. But you still have to keep some modicum of cool and control.

I’m becoming less and less a Franzen fan daily.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/08/13 at 08:34 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

“Franzen doesn’t care hard enough; SEND HIM PACKING!”
...
...
...
...
“Franzen cares too much; SEND HIM PACKING!”

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/08/13 at 08:48 AM ET

But you still have to keep some modicum of cool and control.

What BS.

How about someone slams you face first into plexiglass and see how you react.

Posted by Garth on 02/08/13 at 09:16 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Good for Mule.  Gotta stop that face into the glass BS.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/08/13 at 09:20 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

How about someone slams you face first into plexiglass and see how you react.

Posted by Garth on 02/08/13 at 09:16 AM ET

Reacting by throwing a glove in the face is okay, but spearing? That’s for chickenshits.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/08/13 at 10:27 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Remember how Franzen got whacked into the boards and suffered a concussion that involved a subdural hematoma in 2008, and how Gary Roberts welcomed Franzen back by punching him in the face? And remember how many times Franzen’s been punched and/or hit in the face since then?

That might piss somebody off. Especially if they were playing at the World Championships, and were speared and then cross-checked so hard in the face that their nose was broken and dislocated.

He doesn’t like getting hit in the face.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/08/13 at 10:49 AM ET

cainer4wingsglory's avatar

Well said. Nothing wrong with a little ‘street justice’. I mean we’re talking about one of the dirtiest teams in the league, lead by their captain David ‘Intent to Injure’ Backes. Sometimes revenge isn’t a dish best served cold. Good on ya Franzen…

Posted by cainer4wingsglory on 02/08/13 at 10:56 AM ET

Yeah, because he thought out what he was going to do, right?  This wasn’t a kneejerk, in-the-moment reaction at all.

Posted by Garth on 02/08/13 at 12:01 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

He doesn’t like getting hit in the face.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/08/13 at 10:49 AM ET

No one does, George. Does it mean we can spear someone when it happens?

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/08/13 at 01:42 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Posted by Garth on 02/08/13 at 12:01 PM ET

Remember that next time a Red Wing gets speared.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 02/08/13 at 01:43 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Remember that next time a Red Wing gets speared after coming 20 feet to board a guy.

Fixed that for the sake of correct fruit-matching.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 02/08/13 at 02:05 PM ET

Weak hit followed by weak spear.  Nothing to see here.  However, I actually like it when Franzen gets mad; he plays much better.  He’s been good all season, despite the naysayers.  What do you want for $4 million cap hit?  I’ll take 30 goals for that any day.

Posted by jkm2011 on 02/08/13 at 02:22 PM ET

Remember that next time a Red Wing gets speared.

Remember that the next time a Red Wing takes a run at an opponent and hits him from behind, face first, into the boards.

Posted by Garth on 02/08/13 at 02:36 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

It was chickenshit to charge Franzen from behind.  Perron got what was coming to him.  Maybe in the future he’ll play like more of a gentleman.

I’m sick of St Lose playing the Wings with reckless in tent to injure.  What Franzen did is just what the doctor ordered.  I’m so tired of seeing the Wings accept getting pushed around as a fact of life, its time they showed some snarl.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 02/08/13 at 04:54 PM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

Franzen should have just turned and high-sticked Perron in the face. Would’ve only been a double minor, assuming he drew blood.

And I generally like Darren Pang, but “we’ll see the little nudge there from behind” and then acting like Franzen literally stabbed Perron in the stomach… homerism.

I’m fine with Franzen doing this against a dirty St. Louis team while we’re up by 3. I’m all for hard-nosed play, but I’ll echo bezekov’s statement that St. Louis seems to play the Wings with “intent to injure” firmly implanted in their game plan.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 02/08/13 at 05:12 PM ET

perfection's avatar

Perron got up to quickly for my liking… Franzen should have speared him harder. The only two appropriate responses for Franzen is the spear to the balls or a sucker punch to the face. That’s it. I can’t stand the idea that because someone takes a cheap shot trying to INJURE Franzen, that the only way he’s allowed to standup for himself is if he drops the gloves and basically makes himself vulnerable for further injury. If someone cheapshots you, they shouldn’t then have the 50/50 chance of also winning a fight against you. Screw that guy. He should be pissing blood for a week… bitch goon.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 02/08/13 at 05:27 PM ET

perfection's avatar

“got up too quickly” I mean

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 02/08/13 at 05:28 PM ET