The Malik Report

David Booth Clears Waivers, Mrazek Starting?

per Elliotte Friedman tweet, David Booth has cleared waivers.

And there is this too...

added 12:12pm,

added 12:15pm,

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

ilovehomers's avatar

Whoa. What’s with the sudden change? Howie injured, trade imminent, Mrazek being the hot goalie?

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/23/18 at 01:14 PM ET

Back-to-back with the second night being against the second hottest team in the league.

Good luck Petr, you’re going to need it.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/23/18 at 01:15 PM ET

Howie injured, trade imminent, Mrazek being the hot goalie?

Mrazek looked good last night against the least hot team in the entire league so Blashill’s logic is that he can definitely carry that over and get a shutout against the second hottest team in the entire league.

I hope he does well, maybe he can raise his trade value up to two bags of pucks.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/23/18 at 01:19 PM ET

Interesting development. And as to Booth, maybe if he scores a hat trick next time he is waived, he will be picked up?
And Glendening taking Turgeon place I guess? Or Witkovski?

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 01:19 PM ET

I hope he does well

Sure Char, sure…

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 01:21 PM ET

Maybe he isn’t hoping for a shutout, but just a really solid performance like Mrazek gave yesterday.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 01/23/18 at 01:24 PM ET

Amazing that they signed Glendening to 4 year contract.  It’s mind-boggling.  It costs them an additional 1.2 million against the cap for a player that can be replaced by any number of younger, cheaper players already in the system.

Posted by jb61973 on 01/23/18 at 01:28 PM ET

Or maybe going with the goalie who is in Blashill’s mind giving the team the best chance to win the game. Wasn’t this the logic everybody applied for starting Howard 90% of the games?

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 01:29 PM ET

Blashill sucks for not playing Mrazek.
Blashill sucks for playing Mrazek too much.

Oy

In all seriousness though, Mrazek played well, he deserves another start.
Good for him.

Posted by George0211 on 01/23/18 at 01:31 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

And Glendening taking Turgeon place I guess? Or Witkovski?

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 12:19 PM ET

Honestly, not Witter if you Philly is going to ice Gudas.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/23/18 at 01:31 PM ET

This logic cannot apply to the red-headed stepchild of the team. Cannot happen. He has to forever be the outcast.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 01/23/18 at 01:32 PM ET

Honestly, not Witter if you Philly is going to ice Gudas.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/23/18 at 12:31 PM ET

Agreed, Witt needs to play.

Posted by George0211 on 01/23/18 at 01:33 PM ET

Sure Char, sure…

Yeah, you’ve sure got my number. I’m definitely going to be cheering against the Red Wings tonight, which is something I’ve ever done in my life.

Newsflash, genius: just because I believe one goalie is better than the other, doesn’t mean I want the other to fail.

But hey, it’s probably really nice living in your black and white world!

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 12:29 PM ET

What is it you think you’re arguing against here?

Wasn’t this the logic everybody applied for starting Howard 90% of the games?

The logic was that Detroit decided that Howard is the starter and starters start 70-80% of their team’s games. That’s why it isn’t crazy that Howard has started 76% of Detroit’s games.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/23/18 at 01:36 PM ET

hockeyfreak13's avatar

So why do we have to rely on the Philly beat writer to reveal this to us?

Posted by hockeyfreak13 from Grand Rapids on 01/23/18 at 01:36 PM ET

So why do we have to rely on the Philly beat writer to reveal this to us?

I wonder how the Philly writer has this information. Is it just his assumption, that it’s expected Mrazek will play, or was he told this? Since there is no morning skate for the Wings, how could he know this?

Posted by Ilovekermit on 01/23/18 at 01:46 PM ET

SnarkinLarkin's avatar

It’s been common for as long as I can remember that if a goalie pitches a shutout he plays the next game. Not sure if it is more superstition or riding the hot hand or just a reward for a job well done.  My first reaction is not to play a goalie on back to back nights, but then again when I was young I used to play hockey for hours, work out, and play beach volleyball, so I’m sure he can handle it…

Posted by SnarkinLarkin on 01/23/18 at 02:05 PM ET

SnarkinLarkin's avatar

Another thing I just thought of is maybe it’s psychology - a way to get into the other team’s head…

Posted by SnarkinLarkin on 01/23/18 at 02:06 PM ET

Newsflash, genius:

Mature comment

doesn’t mean I want the other to fail.

There is absolutely nothing in any of your “Mrazek” posts that suggests that you do not wish him to fail miserably to prove your point that he is not good.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 02:18 PM ET

In fact, CDMD said in a post weeks ago that he wants Mrazek do terribly so he can be gone and he doesn’t have to hear about him anymore. Maybe it was said in a moment of anger or frustration, but I clearly remember it.

Posted by Ilovekermit on 01/23/18 at 02:20 PM ET

Posted by Ilovekermit on 01/23/18 at 01:20 PM ET

I also remember somebody asking CDMD if Mrazek ran over his dog or something. It’s hard to understand personal hate towards a player on your favourite team when you do not know him personally and it’s equally hard to understand the denial of it.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 02:31 PM ET

Claiming David Booth means a team has to create a roster spot for him, either by waiving someone else or demoting a player to the minors. And then David Booth must remain on your roster for 30 days, something that could complicate trade deadline activity.

So I’m not surprised nobody wanted to do that today.

But I do think that David Booth can be TRADED closer to the deadline when roster limits expand. I think if we gave him a little more ice-time, some occasional shifts with more talented linemates, maybe the odd look on the PP then I think he would likely get attention from a number of teams. If I’m a contender and my 13th and 14th forwards are a couple of inexperienced kids from the AHL, then having the option to insert David Booth into a Game 7 sure sounds a lot better. Steve Ott garnered a 6th rounder if I recall correctly. Booth should easily do the same. But only if you play him between now and the deadline. Send Turgeon back to Grand Rapids and give Booth more time. After the deadline, you can bring guys like Turgeon back to play out the stretch.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/23/18 at 03:04 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I sort of felt bad for Booth, but when he scored I REALLY felt bad for Booth.

Posted by TreKronor on 01/23/18 at 03:16 PM ET

Blashill sucks for not playing Mrazek.
Blashill sucks for playing Mrazek too much.

Seriously, I need to know who to blame/credit if…

-Mrazek plays well: Blashill for going back to him or Petr because he’s finally “back”?

-Mrazek plays like poop: Blashill for going back to him or Petr because that’s kind of been Petr the past 1-1/2+ yrs?

Thanks in advance!

This site would have been a blast during the 90-91 season with those goalies!

Posted by Steve1306 on 01/23/18 at 03:28 PM ET

Posted by fatsavage on 01/23/18 at 02:04 PM ET

I’ll say this FS: a hell of a lot of the time I write off the things you say, but from time to time you do put out a decently solid suggestion.

Posted by BarryKlob on 01/23/18 at 04:07 PM ET

Posted by BarryKlob on 01/23/18 at 03:07 PM ET

Haha. Last night pretty much everything came up roses for me:

-I’ve been lobbying to play Mrazek more
-I had been lobbying to stop giving AA 10 minutes as a 4th line center and play him 18+ as a first line winger
-I kept saying David Booth has actually had decent production given his very limited minutes (ie he’s now tied with Helm at 4 goals, despite playing 1/5th the time)
-also cautioned that Hicketts was too small and didn’t have the skating skills to compensate for that

Pretty sure several people weren’t happy how that game unfolded…

Posted by fatsavage on 01/23/18 at 04:14 PM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by fatsavage on 01/23/18 at 02:04 PM ET

Agreed 100% FS. Good post.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 01/23/18 at 12:19 PM ET

Enter this thread expecting some classic CDMD shit-talking and THERE IT IS!

Last 5 games:

Mrazek:  3-2 | .913 | 2.60 | Streak: 2W
Howard: 2-3 | .914 | 2.80 | Streak: 3L

Howard has also trended downward over his last 5 while Mrazek’s numbers are skewed heavily from the Tampa Bay and Montreal brow beatings.

It would appear that the goalie who ran over your dog (it was me VPalmer), is closing the gap on Howard right now.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 01/23/18 at 04:39 PM ET

Pretty sure several people weren’t happy how that game unfolded

Why??? We won and the team played a great overall game. Why would any fan be unhappy about that?

Posted by benzanato on 01/23/18 at 04:41 PM ET

David Booth can be TRADED closer to the deadline.

And become 30 goal scorer like Eaves maybe?

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 04:58 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Not sure who would be unhappy about the Wings’ win last night or the form/fashion that it happened in, other than the crowd that wants them to lose and tank no matter what.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/23/18 at 04:59 PM ET

Because I am positive some people coming to this forum want nothing more than to prove their point (about a certain player or coach or a goalie) rather then to see a team succeed.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 05:00 PM ET

Posted by benzanato on 01/23/18 at 03:41 PM ET

Because no matter how nice an abuser seems to be once in a while he is still always abuser. Being nice occasionally is a manipulation technique, nothing more.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/23/18 at 05:04 PM ET

And become 30 goal scorer like Eaves maybe?
Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 03:58 PM ET

oh man. This is about to open a can of worms…....If this,

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 04:00 PM ET

doesn’t.

Eaves was a one time 30 goal scorer last season riding a career high shooting % who now seems out of the league due to a rare illness. A sad risk for Anaheim.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/23/18 at 05:09 PM ET

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/23/18 at 03:59 PM ET

Anyone in the “fallin’ for Dahlin” camp (BTW Dahlin does not rhyme with fallin’).

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/23/18 at 05:10 PM ET

There WAS a morning skate this morning. Optional though, not too many were on ice. Glen and Abby were on ice. Howard was in starter’s net. But who knows what Blash is gonna do

Posted by SauceBoss on 01/23/18 at 05:15 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 01/23/18 at 04:10 PM ET

I am guilty of that! Haha

It’s the heart vs. the brain thing. I want to see this team win Cups, but in my head, the best way to do it is by tanking. Probably.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 04:00 PM ET

QFT

No one needs to pleasure themselves because a player failed or succeeded, especially in a small sample.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/23/18 at 05:19 PM ET

If Hicketts played a fantastic game yesterday…like say he scored a goal, had an assist, some nice hits, named first star…I can guarantee some of you guys would have spent all day telling me how stupid I was. FS was wrong. FS knows nothing. Blah, blah. And if Mrazek let in 5 goals on 9 shots…some people would be telling me that this is why Howard plays 80% of the time. Mrazek sucks. He’s sucked since his birthday 2 years ago. Blah, blah.

You can pretend otherwise, but we all know exactly how this would have gone down. But instead…Mrazek gets another shutout, AA plays great once again, Booth scores another goal, Hicketts is already headed back to the AHL after looking “small”...and suddenly everyone just wants to see us win.

Got it.

Posted by fatsavage on 01/23/18 at 06:03 PM ET

And if Mrazek let in 5 goals on 9 shots…

Might happen tonight, so be ready FS:)

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 06:21 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

While I wait at the auto shop, I may as well throw this out here:

I honestly think it’s time for all of us to hit the reset button on each other and start clean. Erase all the BS from the past and start over.

But we should all be accountable for ourselves and to eachother about what we post moving forward. Admit mistakes, take constructive criticism, stop being such assholes with sarcastic and mocking replies, actually have decent conversations without insulting each other.

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/23/18 at 06:48 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

?resize=625:352

Posted by ilovehomers on 01/23/18 at 06:48 PM ET

Hicketts is already headed back to the AHL after looking “small”

He was sent down to clear cap space for Glenny’s return plain and simple, not due to his play. Which really wasn’t bad in the least bit.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/23/18 at 04:00 PM

Which is why I’m rarely around anymore. That and dead horses and beatings and I’m just not that sadistic. Forgot to mention snark comments/disrespect when you disagree with some for 3 days following a disagreed comment made.

Posted by benzanato on 01/23/18 at 06:49 PM ET