The Malik Report

Datsyuk’s Russians squeak out 1-0 shootout win over Tatar and Jurco’s Slovaks

Wow. From a hockey fan perspective, never mind a Red Wings fan's perspective, Sunday's Slovakia-Russia game was absolutely fascinating and absolutely enthralling.

Russia ended up winning 1-0 in a shootout (Tomas Tatar did not score on his attempt but he sure made a gorgeous move), but Slovak goalie Jan Laco and company were just astonishingly good defensively, and a team that had lost to both the U.S. and Slovenia made the unstoppable Russians look human.

Pavel Datsyuk looks mostly like himself save attempting to pivot when starting from a stop, and he deked and dangled and tried to key offense despite what was a slightly-less-than-Datsyukian 19:47 of 65-minute ice time, going 16-and-9 on faceoffs; Tomas Tatar made a Datsyukian steal off of Datsyuk very late in regulation, and he was quite solid offensively and superb defensively, taking a shot in 16:28 of ice time on the top line with Hossa and Handzus; Tomas Jurco was much less noticeable but still played a solid 14:18 and occasionally made a slick move.

Here's Tatar's shootout attempt from Pete Blackburn on Twitter:

The game ensures that Russia won't receive a "bye" into the quarterfinals, as the Fan 590's Greg Brady notes:

Jimmy Howard sat on the bench as Ryan Miller and Team USA defeated Slovenia 5-1.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Folks might have missed the fact the US defeated Slovenia 5-1 to win the group including the “unstoppable Russians”.  Might not have seen it buried in the Russan lovefest going on here.

Posted by timbits on 02/16/14 at 11:55 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Uh, Red Wings blog. And the Slovaks were stellar. This is not Kukla’s Korner, this is the Malik Report. And Jimmy Howard sat.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/16/14 at 12:00 PM ET

This is not Kukla’s Korner

You are right, that being said there is nothing on KK about the USA win and there is plenty of love for the Russians via your reports. I think my comment still fits.

Posted by timbits on 02/16/14 at 12:05 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Paul is doing what he’s doin.’ I get the feeling that he’s going to put up an end-of-the-day roundup as he’d rather have the playoff round sorted out.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/16/14 at 12:11 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

I think my comment still fits.

Posted by timbits on 02/16/14 at 12:05 PM ET

Write your own blog if you can’t find things that fit your needs.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 02/16/14 at 12:34 PM ET

von Awesome's avatar

George is usually the first one to make a critical comment about Russia or, better yet Putin, but regardless of that, there is hardly a Russian lovefest going on here when he is simply covering the Russian’s because Datsyuk is on the team and his choice of “unstoppable” as an adjective could be replaced by such words as “beastly” “stacked” “monstrous”, anything. Regardless, your comment is ridiculous and doesn’t fit anything. I don’t see you posting a lot in the Malik Report threads, so it’s safe to assume you really don’t know anything about the blog or the way this website operates. Like mrfluffy said, go make your own blog if George’s superb work is not enough for you. Dude is still working on a concussion and you’re complaining about nothing. Get out of here.

Posted by von Awesome on 02/16/14 at 12:50 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Thank you for your defense. It’s okay, we all have more important things to be upset about. Like me being a horrible American for cheering for Datsyuk yesterday. wink Or the fact that Johnny Weir and Don Cherry have not in fact met in real life. :*(

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/16/14 at 01:00 PM ET

Like me being a horrible American for cheering for Datsyuk yesterday

I don’t think you are a horrible American for cheering for Pavel. You just aren’t a fan of Team USA. I do find it bizaar to root for foreign NHL players against your own country. I have plenty of foreign players on my favorite NHL team, but that doesn’t supercede my allegiance to USA Hockey. I am happy when they do well, except those on Team Canada, but I would never root for them over Team USA ever.

Posted by timbits on 02/16/14 at 01:27 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Might not have seen it buried in the Russan lovefest going on here.

Posted by timbits on 02/16/14 at 11:55 AM ET

Yeah, we’re all a bunch of red lovin’ Communists. Not that there’s anything wrong with that wink (sarcasm)

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/16/14 at 03:45 PM ET

von Awesome's avatar

There’s nothing wrong with cheering for the red lovin’ communists either. If you like a player off their squad, and want to cheer for them because of it, that does’t make you some blasphemer to Team USA. It’s a god damn sports tournament. Have fun.

Posted by von Awesome on 02/16/14 at 04:55 PM ET

I do find it bizaar to root for foreign NHL players against your own country.

I guess if you out it that way it’s odd, but how about if you state it as “George is rooting for his favour player rather than a bunch of guys he doesn’t like who play on teams he doesn’t like”?

I find it bizarre that you give a *#$%@& who George is rooting for.

Or the fact that Johnny Weir and Don Cherry have not in fact met in real life.

I don’t get the feeling that Don Cherry would enjoy Johnny Weir’s company very much…

Posted by Garth on 02/16/14 at 08:03 PM ET

I find it bizarre that you give a *#$%@& who George is rooting for.

Funny how defensive people get if you don’t agree with a blogger. So what is the point of the blog, if everyone has to agree? As for caring about what George says, for the most part I don’t. I used his post as an opportunity to point out how pro Russia the KK blog has been. Other than that I don’t care what he thinks. Finally I find it *#$%@& bizaar you stalk my posts over and over. If you don’t like what I say you can put me on the ignore list, which is what I do for you. Unfortunately, this time I was logged out and saw your latest stalk.

Posted by timbits on 02/16/14 at 08:45 PM ET