The Malik Report

Datsyuk Wants To Play This Week

from Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front,

Pavel Datsyuk took part in the optional skate and still hopes to return for a game or two before the Olympics.

“Hoping, looking to,” Datsyuk said when asked if he was still going to play in the Olympics. “I don’t know. I’m just trying to make sure I play one or two games (before). That’s my goal now.

“I’m not thinking about over there now,” Datsyuk added. “I’m thinking about coming back to our team and helping our team.”...

Asked about what some fans are saying that if players can’t play for their NHL team that pays them then they shouldn’t play in the Olympics, Datsyuk said, “No comment. Everybody has own mine. Everybody has own decision. It’s my decision.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Mandingo's avatar

I favor “trapped in a box.”

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 02/03/14 at 03:17 PM ET

Mandingo's avatar

That…does not say “mime.” Strike that last post from the record.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 02/03/14 at 03:18 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Although, you could excuse him a moment for being apprehensive as the captain of a team with several immensely talented forwards with a reputation for being nowhere nearly as consistent as he is.

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/03/14 at 03:40 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Good on him.  I agree.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 02/03/14 at 04:15 PM ET

Alan's avatar

The NBC broadcast yesterday kept harping on and on about how much pressure Ovechkin has from the homeland to perform. One has to wonder how much more pressure Datsyuk has, being the captain of that team, and if that’s part of why he hasn’t formally bowed out of the Olympics.

He says he *wants* to play in a game or two before heading off for Russia, but will he be well enough to do so? In my mind, that’s the one question that requires an answer above all else.

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 02/03/14 at 04:19 PM ET

awould's avatar

Frankly, if he’s not well enough to play in a game before the Olympics, he should skip them and use the time off to recover so he can help the Wings make the playoffs. Datsyuk is one of my favorite players all-time, but I couldn’t care less if he plays for Team Russia. I’d much rather he be healthy for the Red Wings. I mean, all things equal, I’d be happy to see him succeed there and lose in the medal round the USA, but all things aren’t equal… he’s injured and has been injured a lot this season.

Posted by awould on 02/03/14 at 04:27 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

It’s easy to say these things as a fan of the Wings but not be in the player’s positions. I can’t blame Pav for wanting to play in his…probable last Olympics.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 02/03/14 at 04:42 PM ET

alfrules's avatar

If his knee is not 100% should he play in the Olympics?

Posted by alfrules on 02/03/14 at 04:52 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

but I couldn’t care less if he plays for Team Russia

Many of us don’t care about the Russian team, but I’d just as soon see Pavel be able to have the opportunity he’s worked very hard for most of his life to earn. If he says he’s good enough to play, I’m fine with it.
Nobody wanted to lynch Stevie in ‘02 for playing in the Olympics when she should have been resting up.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/03/14 at 05:34 PM ET

I agree that he shouldn’t play in the Olympics, but realistically? Named the Captain of your home country’s olympic team? The Wings are job. The olympics are about representing Holy Mother Russia to the rest of the world. Of course he’s going to play. Even if it means he’s not able to finish the season with the Wings.

Posted by teldar on 02/03/14 at 06:05 PM ET