The Malik Report

Datsyuk Today

Ansar Khan of Mlive with a report on Datsyuk and Ericsson today after practice,

“Looks like everybody fast, ice is so small, goalie so big, net so small,” Datsyuk said after practice Friday. “I hope everybody slow down and be careful with my age.”

Datsyuk played on the wing with Darren Helm and Daniel Alfredsson. He might move back to center on Saturday.

“We played him on the wall because he wanted to,” Babcock said. “He practiced in the middle today, but I think he’s going to play on the wall again tomorrow. We’ll just see how he does.”

Said Datsyuk: “It’s first game I played in one month, it’s a little easier to play on the wing. But I’m hoping I play tomorrow at center.”

Asked if he thinks he can handle more minutes, Datsyuk said, “That’s coach priority. If he trusts me more I’ll play more minutes.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

OlderThanChelios's avatar

This guy is just hilarious.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/07/14 at 05:15 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

This guy is just hilarious.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/07/14 at 04:15 PM ET

Totally. Datsyuk, to me, is the “real deal”. Without guile.

The best part is, he’s on OUR Team, we are the most fortunate fan base. Ever! I believe we will see him win at least one more Cup.

Datsyuk is my all time favorite player/personality from any sport.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/07/14 at 06:01 PM ET

Like seeing a fuzzy kitten, somehow every russianglish phrase Datsyuk makes always brings joy to my heart

Posted by neffernin on 02/07/14 at 06:59 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

His banner will hang from the rafters one day, but I also think there’s another Cup in his future.

I watched the HBO-show hoping to see some Datsyuk humour like this… he’s a joy.

Proud we have him!

Posted by alwaysaurie on 02/07/14 at 09:53 PM ET

He looked like he was still on one leg. Definitely playing hurt still. DOH.

Posted by brians neck on 02/07/14 at 10:24 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

I thought he was tentative but these games really are warm-ups for Sochi, and I’m pretty sure that he’s testing what was a moderately-sprained left MCL.

As many have noted, Datsyuk has been very loyal to the Wings over the past twelve years, and now he’s asking the Wings for a LOT of faith in him. I only hope that he’s in *better* form when he’ comes back from Sochi.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/07/14 at 10:35 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I love Pav too, and I believe he deserves to make his own decision about Sochi but geez, I hope he doesn’t come back with an aggravated injury.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 02/08/14 at 09:42 AM ET

ckrila's avatar

Yzerman played with an injured knee in 2002 and we won the Cup. He also played in the Olympics and won the gold. I hope the same happens with Datsyuk.

Posted by ckrila on 02/08/14 at 02:05 PM ET

Posted by ckrila on 02/08/14 at 01:05 PM ET

Right, but it still didn’t alleviate the fingernail-gnashing nervousness and diamonds shat throughout the whole tournament.

I’m sacrificing neighborhood animals, lighting candles, and chanting Kumbaya for all of our Wings players healthy returns.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/08/14 at 02:32 PM ET