The Malik Report

Datsyuk Skating

Ted Kulfan tweets Datsyuk on the ice for practice.

More updates when available...

added 11:35am, Bill Roose tweet says everyone skating but Franzen.

added 11:39am, Khan tweets,

Based on how they're skating it looks like Datsyuk expecting to play tomorrow. He's on line with Helm and Alfredsson.

Other lines: Nyquist-Zetterberg-Abdelkader; Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco; Andersson-Glendening-Miller.

Eaves, Cleary and Bertuzzi also skating but appear to be the odd men out. On defense, Kindl is only player not skating. Weiss is skating.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I’m glad, but also scared shitless for him.  I’m not confident with our training staff.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 02/05/14 at 12:29 PM ET

Cool.

Odd to see Helm on the wing though…

Posted by Garth on 02/05/14 at 12:48 PM ET

Posted by SYF from the Swedish Ice Mafia on 02/05/14 at 11:29 AM ET

We can take the training staff out of the equation if everyone would sacrifice every live chicken they can get their hands on and keep Jobu appeased.

Posted by Valek from Chicago on 02/05/14 at 12:49 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Cool.

Odd to see Helm on the wing though…

Posted by Garth on 02/05/14 at 11:48 AM ET

Did you see it listed somewhere that Helm will be playing wing to Datsyuk’s center? I’m reading/guessing that Datsyuk gets worked back in as a winger.

Posted by SK77 on 02/05/14 at 12:56 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Odd to see Helm on the wing though…

Are we certain it’s Helm on the Wing?  Would they put Helm at center to lighten the skating load on Pav?

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/05/14 at 12:56 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Odd to see Helm on the wing though…
Posted by Garth on 02/05/14 at 11:48 AM ET

Could be Helm at center.  Pav has played LW before, and it would cut down on some of his defensive responsibilities, maybe to ease him back in.

Posted by Hootinani on 02/05/14 at 12:58 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Odd to see Helm on the wing though…

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/05/14 at 11:56 AM ET

lol, great minds and all that

Posted by Hootinani on 02/05/14 at 12:59 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Based on how they’re skating it looks like Datsyuk expecting to play tomorrow. He’s on line with Helm and Alfredsson.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see Helm taking at least the offensive zone draws in order to take some of the “wear and tear” off of Pavel.

When Weiss comes back, the Wings will have seven legitimate centers on their roster. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen that on a Wings team before.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/05/14 at 01:01 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Looks like three votes for Helm playing center. grin

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/05/14 at 01:03 PM ET

The fact that Datsyuk is going to skate on a line with Helm indicates to me how pleased Babcock is with the Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco line. I am finally convinced (Bert & Cleary still sitting) that the team is sold on these guys.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/05/14 at 01:04 PM ET

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/05/14 at 11:56 AM ET
Posted by Hootinani on 02/05/14 at 11:58 AM ET

Good point.  Hadn’t thought of that.

Posted by Garth on 02/05/14 at 01:08 PM ET

Looks like three votes for Helm playing center.

Admittedly it does make more sense…

Posted by Garth on 02/05/14 at 01:09 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I’d think Pav would take the majority of the draws even with Helm playing center.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 02/05/14 at 01:14 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Khan says Kindl has a lower-body injury.  No mention on how serious.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/05/14 at 01:14 PM ET

Khan says Kindl has a lower-body injury.  No mention on how serious.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/05/14 at 12:14 PM ET

Oh great, so is Smith back in? There is an upgrade confused

Posted by George0211 on 02/05/14 at 01:21 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Any ideas on how the forward corps works out if Weiss & Franzen return?

Andersson and Miller would seem to be the odd men out, but where do you stick all these bodies? Doesn’t seem like the Brain Trust intends on sending any of the kids back to the AHL at this point other than maybe Jurco.

Posted by SK77 on 02/05/14 at 01:27 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I was still kinda.. maybe hoping that Smith was going to be traded. His hype has gone away. I just don’t see him getting that much better. Unless he takes it E52 method of 7 years before you get good. Then again, he was a winger before being made into a D man. Smith has been a D man his entire life..

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/05/14 at 01:46 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I think Andy stays. Cause he has some size. He can be the 4th line center. I do think that Glenny should stay. Might be a permanent fixture next year. Can be like Miller but faster and more energy. Though I have no idea how any of it will play out.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/05/14 at 01:54 PM ET

Chip4Pips's avatar

Long-term mgmt has stated they want Glenny on the wing, not center, so it seems Miller being the odd man out becomes an increasing possibility. Especially so, given that Glendening’s waiver exemption runs out after 29 more NHL games. If he finishes out the year in Detroit uninjured and the Wings make the playoffs, then he will have to stay up next year.

Posted by Chip4Pips on 02/05/14 at 02:03 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Howard starting tomorrow and Babcock says it is up to Datsyuk if he is playing, Datsyuk says he feels good, will wait until after skate tomorrow morning to decide.

Kindl is out tomorrow.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/05/14 at 02:05 PM ET

Any ideas on how the forward corps works out if Weiss & Franzen return?

It’s an interesting question.

Assuming (just because) that they send down Glendening, Sheahan and Jurco and assuming that nobody else gets hurt (again, just because) they would be at the 23-man roster limit but over the cap by $1.1M (according to capgeek).  In theory they could waive Eaves and Cleary, send them down and keep Glendening up, but that would leave them with only 22 guys on the roster (which is doable, but not optimal).  Of course, having Samuelsson, Tootoo, Eaves and Cleary in GR would mean the Wings would have $4.975M in cap space being eaten up by players in Grand Rapids.

Imagine if Tootoo or Samuelsson or Bertuzzi or Eaves or Cleary had any kind of trade value…

Posted by Garth on 02/05/14 at 02:05 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by Garth on 02/05/14 at 01:05 PM ET

Unfortunately my imagination isn’t that good.

Posted by SK77 on 02/05/14 at 02:32 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Just not sure how you pull Miller out of the lineup.  Hes been so versatile, and is great defensively.  Andersson hasnt impressed me much this season, but has been necessary with so many centers out at times.  He’d be my first choice to bench.

Posted by Hootinani on 02/05/14 at 02:35 PM ET

Ror
I read recently that Smith was a forward until he was 16. So quite similar to Big E.

Posted by teldar on 02/05/14 at 02:39 PM ET

Paul's avatar

via Khan tweet,

If Datsyuk is cleared for tomorrow, Kindl will go on short-term IR, opening a roster spot. No other move needed.

Holland says Kindl won’t play before the break.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/05/14 at 02:39 PM ET

Hoot, I like your thoughts. I would go as far as to say I like Glendening better as he’s faster and more tenacious. I don’t know if Glendening has any offensive capability, but he’s also always out against top lines, as a center. Andersson is not. I would not be upset to see Andersson traded to make more space. Not that I think he is valueless, but that he does have decent value as a young center.
I would also be completely being the wings trading multiple#1’s to move up in a single year

Posted by teldar on 02/05/14 at 02:48 PM ET

Regarding Miller, I think he has proven to be the team’s best penalty killer and has been pretty good in his role. Even though he isn’t flashy, I really think he’s a guy who has a solid spot. Big, skates well, good defensively, chips in goals. I think Babcock likes him - he’s never been benched or considered for waivers - I think his spot is unquestioned.

Andersson - I also think he’s earned some significant benefit of the doubt in Babcock’s eyes. I think Glendening for sure goes before Andrersson - even though Babcock likes Glendening.

I would have thought the answer to this question would be simple - that Bertuzzi and Cleary play when the team is healthy. But I believe the Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco line plays until they stumble. I think Babcock has really been impressed.

Assuming 100% health (and a playoff berth), my guess is, unless a significant stumble, that they play the Sheahan line in the playoffs. The roster restrictions are gone, to my understanding, and I think there’s a significant possibility that Bertuzzi and Cleary sit for these guys.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 02/05/14 at 02:49 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I think Anderson is your Miller replacement at the very least.  He may not wow you with speed or scoring, but he’s very smart, knows where to be, and has some size.  Add to that his versatility at either center or wing.

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/05/14 at 03:26 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Thanks, Tel. I appreciate that.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/05/14 at 03:52 PM ET