The Malik Report

Datsyuk is not perfect. Datsyuk is not a monster.

Pavel Datsyuk could have worded his answer to a question loaded with all but a literal bullet given that he was in a room full of a dozen Russian journalists and a couple dozen fans this morning much, much better than he did. But there are about eight billion ways that he could have said something much worse than leaning upon his status as a Russian Orthodox believer when asked about Russia's anti-homosexuality laws the day before he and the Russian Olympic orientation campers are meeting with none other than Vladimir Putin.

My best pal in the entire damn world is bisexual. I do not support any sort of even head-nodding toward discrimination towards gays, lesbians, bisexuals, transgender folks or any other *#$%@& human being for being any *#$%@& "different." Even people in the United States live in a country where some sexual assaults are borderline acceptable (ask Dr. Phil) and where the, "It's my religious belief and you have to respect that, too" statement is supposed to excuse bigotry against all sorts of "differences."*

But the context in which Datsyuk made his statements, at Sovetsky Sport's offices in Moscow, the day before heading to Sochi to meet Comrade Putin himself, was just as vicious as the reactions to his statements have been--and I'm sure that the Ryan Lamberts of the world have had to change their shorts repeatedly to keep up with their venomous remarks.

We all knew that the first Russian NHL'er who made any sort of statement about the laws that wasn't, "I don't care if this costs me a spot on the Olympic team, I think they're terrible and I support them in no way, shape or form" (and Datsyuk could have at least said "no comment") was going to be witch-hunted, and those who enjoy insisting that "superstars have fallen!" based upon remarks sans context have had a field day today. A Russian Christmas, if you will.

Pavel Datsyuk remains my favorite Red Wings player. What he said today disappoints me, but it does not mean that I'm going to tear up my Datsyuk hockey cards or no longer wear my Datsyuk t-shirt. I do not expect Pavel Datsyuk to be a perfect individual who agrees with everything I do. I expect him to be a man with faults.

I sure as *#$%@& know that context was everything today, and in the middle of a 2-plus-hour Q and A session in front of a packed house, yes, Datsyuk took the "easy way out." But he also did so to shut people up and move the *#$%@& on without stepping on more than one hand grenade.

He's got some 'splainin to do as to whether he really is in lock-step with every tenet of the Russian Orthodox church** when he's on this side of the Atlantic, but I'm not about to put another log on the fire below the stake.

His conduct in terms of actively pursuing literature and films that broaden his horizons, his charitable work and his passion for helping others--especially kids--speak more toward his character than one poorly-attempted deke, dangle and fall into a rut on the ice does.

I want to hear what Datsyuk has to say when he's no longer facing getting kicked off the Olympic team, when his daughter's in school and he's over here taking part in training camp before I even dare to attempt to suggest that he's a horrible person.

Discrimination, bigotry and hatred are wrong. What Datsyuk said today wasn't right by any stretch of the imagination. But it may have been the only acceptable answer, and while it was not courageous, it may have been necessary to save his ass.

Datsyuk's history as a hockey player and human being suggest that he is more than one cannon fodder remark's worth of righteous and self-righteous indignation and vilification.

And that's all I've got to say about that.

*And, for the record, it is entirely possible to respect differing religious faiths AND to respect different political beliefs AND to respect different beliefs about the "differences" that separate us without accepting intolerance, bigotry or hatred.

Just because I'm a non-partisan politically and an existentialist religiously speaking doesn't mean that I'm a wishy-washy who quotes Soren Kierkegaard.

**I know Catholics who--gasp--believe in birth control! Jews and Muslims who love bacon! Dyed-in-the-wool Republicans who support gay marriage and social welfare! Democrats who believe in gun rights! The world is a crazy place where people don't have to believe everything they're told to believe!

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Well, Putin is a lot like a mafia boss, and if Datsyuk ran for President I’d probably vote for him.  cool smile

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 06:01 PM ET

Putin is far more dangerous than any mafia boss, real or fictional.  I wouldn’t want the ex-head of the KGB pissed at me, he has far more resources than any mafioso.

I am not sure I’d vote for Pavel for President.  I mean, I love him as a hockey player, but I’m not sure how he’ pan out as a politician. I think it’s a moot point, though, since I’m pretty sure he’s ineligible.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 08/22/13 at 06:18 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Difference in magnitude?  Yes.

To clarify, I said this in reference to the actions v. thoughts point you made.

I suspect you wouldn’t let that kind of thinking off the hook so easy, just because they hadn’t acted on it yet.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 06:17 PM ET

Ok.  I hope that made that more comprehendible.  It’s probably time for me to walk away lol.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 06:20 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Man, I’ve seen the word Nazi so many times today. Godwin’s law is sure getting a workout.

Yaaaaaay Internet! Goooooooo Internet!!

Good ol’ Godwin.  Good ol’, dependable Godwin.

Posted by Primis on 08/22/13 at 06:20 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

holy shit.

I say, nut up and form your own opinions, be glad you can have them, dont’ begrudge people for theirs.. too easy.

I can’t wait for an American hockey player to get asked about his support for abortion laws.  I mean, we have a RIGHT to know what exactly athletes who play a game for a living’s personal views on personal matters are, right?

This culture of everyone HAS to agree with me has gotten so far out of control it’s insane.  The same line of thinking is why they have laws on it, it’s one side MAKING everyone abide by what THEY want.  Neither side seems to respect the individual anymore, or they’re right for free thought.. at least free thought that disagree’s with their own.

Pavel seems like one of the most genuinely good people, athlete, I’ve seen in a long time.  For you black and white types, good luck figuring out the mind-fuch you’re going through.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/22/13 at 06:21 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 08/22/13 at 06:18 PM ET

It was a joke man.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 06:22 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by Primis on 08/22/13 at 05:57 PM ET

I couldn’t have said it better.

Posted by The Meal on 08/22/13 at 06:13 PM ET

I agree with this also.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 08/22/13 at 06:03 PM ET

This is a validation quote because I caught your sarcasm.

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 08/22/13 at 06:22 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Well, we already saw with Tim Tebow what happens when people get asked their opinions on things.

Some people (media) just want to watch the world burn.

Posted by Primis on 08/22/13 at 06:23 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Difference in magnitude?  Yes.  But in the principle of my argument?  No

Maybe we disagree on that point because we come from different backgrounds.

To me, motive is the reason, plain and simple. Excuse is what you give people when you don’t want to tell them the motive.

So, if the guy has different views and justifies them on his background, that an excuse. If he has different view BECAUSE of his background, it’s a motive, and I’m willing to give him the benefit of the doubt.

Also, some of us in here are not badmouthing Datsyuk, we’re being very tolerant to his comments because we don’t know his reasons. Yet, you’re the intolerant one who keeps bringing nazis to the discussion.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/22/13 at 06:24 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Some people (media) just want to watch the world burn.

Posted by

Primis

on 08/22/13 at 06:23 PM ET

there it is brother

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 08/22/13 at 06:24 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Primis on 08/22/13 at 06:23 PM ET

Crap.

There should be an addendum to Godwin’s Law called “Tebow’s Law”.

Guilty.  I’m very guilty.

Posted by Primis on 08/22/13 at 06:25 PM ET

Forlorn in VA's avatar

Posted by Primis on 08/22/13 at 06:20 PM ET

Ell Oh Ell

It was a joke man.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 06:22 PM ET

Sorry, I knew that, and I still answered overly serious.  Can I blame my response on work related stress?

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 08/22/13 at 06:26 PM ET

Just curious how many people were ranting against Tim Thomas when he decided he wasn’t going to visit the White House because he was using his position as an athlete to make a political statement and how many of those same people are now objecting to the fact that Datsyuk chose NOT to go beyond expressing his own religious beliefs?

Posted by hockey1919 from mid-atlantic on 08/22/13 at 06:29 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

That “yet” makes a load of difference. If you think you’re better than everyone because you’re white? Hang out with other white people.

In that vein, if you’re anti gay marriage, don’t marry a dude. If you’re anti semite, don’t marry a jew. If you’re anti abortion don’t abort, and don’t pull the plug if you’re agains euthanasia.

Mind your own business and let the rest be the rest. The world would be a better place. And from what I’ve seen, Datsyuk’s been minding his business for a long time.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/22/13 at 06:29 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by Forlorn in VA on 08/22/13 at 06:26 PM ET

Absolutely.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 06:32 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

George, I’ll take the over on that.

As far as Pavel’s opinion. I couldn’t give any less of a shit about it either way. How does his opinion effect my life? None. It doesn’t. Even if he comes out and says “Satan tell me hate queer” I still wouldn’t give a shit. It doesn’t concern me. I have no problem with the gay community but If Pavel said he hated gays, my life would go on just fine. He still plays for the Wings, he’s still a badass, and I’m going to root for him either way. I say leave him the hell alone.

Posted by Chris in Hockey Hell from Ann Arbor, MI but LIVING in Columbia, TN on 08/22/13 at 05:20 PM ET

Thank you Chris. Datsyuk’s opinion or his beliefs do not affect my life.  More than likely, it does not affect anyone else’s either.He is an athlete, and, his job is to entertain. Period.

He is not the moral arbiter for any of us. The only thing that concerns me about Datsyuk is his performance on the ice. Whatever he does off the ice is his business.

This is a Hockey Blog. Lets try to keep it that way.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 08/22/13 at 06:34 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Maybe we disagree on that point because we come from different backgrounds.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/22/13 at 06:24 PM ET

I’m willing to disagree my man.  But I do want to point out; I said right off that I’m going to wait until we here more about Datsyuk before I make an opinion.  There were mitigating circumstances in this situation (IMO they were good enough mitigating circumstances, but putting that aside), so I’m reserving judgement on that front.

The Nazi thing was an unfortunate choice of rhetorical device on my part, but its (generally) the most morally quantifiable example out there, so it makes for an easy point of comparison.  Of course no one related to this discussion comes even close to that, and I hope no one took it that way.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 06:39 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Boy, does this post and the following comments prove more than ever that we need to get some hockey started, ASAP.

Posted by Hootinani on 08/22/13 at 06:42 PM ET

IMOrthodox13's avatar

Quoting statement above:
> “George, I agree that we need to wait before passing judgement on whether or not >Datsyuk harbors any hatred towards gays.  But tough situation or not, at best he ducked a >chance to make stand.”

Datsyuk did make a stand. His statement tells us that he is a man of faith, first and foremost. Saying “No Comment” is not taking a stand. He did not say that he agrees with the law. Yes, it is possible to disagree with the homosexual lifestyle and men parading around in front of children in buttless chaps without hating gay people or wanting to see them beaten or sent to a gulag up in Siberia.

@George - I do not believe Datsyuk has any splainin’ to do about anything that is not hockey related. The journalist that politicized what should have been a proud day for Pav is an idiot. He is the only one who has any splainin’ to do.

Posted by IMOrthodox13 on 08/22/13 at 07:16 PM ET

squirrely's avatar

Take that some people are Blues fans.

Posted by squirrely from Dirty Jersey on 08/22/13 at 07:31 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

It’s also possible to agree with the homosexual lifestyle without agreeing with men parading around in front of children in buttless chaps.

Just like it’s possible to agree with the heterosexual lifestyle without assuming that vinyl-clad S&M pairings are putting on *#$%@&-saw exhibits at public libraries as their norm.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 08/22/13 at 07:31 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by WingnutBP on 08/22/13 at 07:16 PM ET

In the context of this conversation Datsyuk’s comments (like most religious comments) could be taken to mean almost anything.  Insofar as that is concerned, saying “I’m a man of faith” also says nothing its by itself.  That is why I agree with George that Datsyuk was trying to be non-committal.

As for the crass, latter half of your comment, I think JJ nailed it.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 07:54 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

The Mormon Church kept black people of the clergy until the 70’s because it thought that being black was inherently unnatural and wrong.  Did that make them bigots?  I think it did.  Here we have the same excuse but a different minority.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 05:36 PM ET

You have got to be kidding me?!?!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/22/13 at 08:27 PM ET

Red Winger's avatar

you nailed it, brother

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/22/13 at 08:30 PM ET

Why not just require all nhl’ers to complete a survey on all political hot topics then we can hate each player as we see fit.  Why did nobody ask Pav how he felt about George Zimmerman?

Posted by SlimChance on 08/22/13 at 08:52 PM ET

pensfan29's avatar

I think the bigger issue is that he should be afraid of Putin if he says something wrong. What kind of country/leadership is that? We live in a country where anyone can, and does, disagree and bad mouth the president without fear.

A Russian should fear their leader if they speak out of turn?

What century is this?!

Posted by pensfan29 on 08/22/13 at 10:28 PM ET

calquake's avatar

I don’t ask my plumber to comment on legal issues.  I don’t ask my teachers how to fight a fire.  Why should I ask my favorite athletes to take a stand on political issues?  To each his own.  If they wish to espouse their beliefs (like Tim Thomas) I then can make my own decision regarding how I feel about them.  Pav was asked a question he preferred not to answer directly, no big deal.

Posted by calquake on 08/22/13 at 10:34 PM ET

I accidentally put this in the wrong post earlier so I’m just copying and pasting myself:
You preach having respect for everyone and their opinions, yet you basically say that Datsyuk’s clearly anti-gay opinion is basically a character flaw. Personally, I’m in no way anti-gay (I could care less about the topic), but just as homophobics need to realize that being homosexual is perfectly fine, homosexuals and those supporting them need to realize that it’s also perfectly fine to have the opposite opinion on the matter. It’s not a character flaw, it’s the man’s opinion. Today’s uber-liberal world needs to wake up and realize that yes, acceptance of all walks of life is great, but not all humans are hardwired the same way (gays, of all people, should understand this) and we’re not all going to sit around a campfire holding hands and singing koombaya.

Posted by Diggler from Marquette, MI on 08/22/13 at 10:56 PM ET

Stevis's avatar

Pretty much every century in Russian history, pensfan29, sad to say.

Posted by Stevis on 08/22/13 at 10:57 PM ET

I’m just happy the man actually stated his opinion (sort of). However, shame on him if he only said it to keep his spot on the national team. I think it would now disappoint me more if he comes out with the opposite opinion. If this is the way he feels, he shouldn’t be afraid to state it.

Posted by Diggler from Marquette, MI on 08/22/13 at 10:59 PM ET

Primis's avatar

A Russian should fear their leader if they speak out of turn?

What century is this?!

Posted by pensfan29 on 08/22/13 at 10:28 PM ET

As I’ve said numerous times, former Soviet leaders are somewhere smiling and nodding approvingly at the charade Putin is so effectively playing.  In many ways he is EVERYTHING those Soviet leaders wanted and tried to be.  Putin is charismatic, and able to deflect your attention away from the atrocities he’s committing.  And he’s able to use, leverage, and lean on the Orthodox Church in ways the Communists couldn’t ever.

Russia is very scary.  Just ask the Chechens how far Putin is willing to go, what lengths he’ll carry out.  There’s a reason many Chechens have gone batsh*t crazy themselves.

Posted by Primis on 08/22/13 at 11:10 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

You have got to be kidding me?!?!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 08/22/13 at 08:27 PM ET

I know I’m blown away.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/22/13 at 11:35 PM ET

There’s a line between abhorrent and hatred to the point of endorsing discriminatory behavior or violence toward a group whose “isms,” behaviors or beliefs we don’t agree with or find distasteful.

Which is, of course, exactly what Datsyuk did.  He merely expressed that he agreed with the conventions of his particular faith.

Because he did, people have called him a homophobe.  Those people are bigots because they are intolerantly spewing venom at someone who thinks differently than they do.

And, really, that’s fine.  What’s a bit less fine is when their just-spewed venom still drips from their lower lip those very same people demand ‘equality’.

Herm, with all due respect, that reasoning can excuse anything.

That’s what the word ‘tolerance’ is suppose to mean, goofball.  It implies some degree of comprehension that people have differing opinions and to accept them rather than lash out in an attempt to silence someone merely speaking a divergent thought aloud.

Speech is speech.  We’re supposed to be able to have it.  When speech evolves into action, that is the point at which contravention may be required.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/22/13 at 11:41 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Thanks for clearing that up, Squirt.

Thanks too, for suggesting that I am trying to “silence people,” even though I haven’t once attacked a person’s right to their opinion.  It’s a whole lot easier than actually addressing what I’m saying, isn’t it, Bud?

Posted by HockeyinHD on 08/22/13 at 11:41 PM ET

You have a right a right to speech and I never questioned that, Junior.  Do me a favor, while you’re using that right, don’t question my right to tell you that what’s coming out of your mouth is a bunch of empty headed bullshit.

Thanks Sport.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 08/23/13 at 12:11 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

I realize I am opening myself up big time to rants, ridicule, and taunting (not to mention criticsm for how long this will be). Maybe even to the point of being run out of this forum,... but here goes.

I am a minority Protestant single heterosexual virgin older male. My religious beliefs are conservative, but I don’t belong to a political party nor ever wish to. As a Christian, I believe sex was meant for heterosexual marriage and creating children, but it’s easily understandable why almost everyone has sex regardless of marital status, including Christians. This puts me WAY out of the mainstream. However, in being consistent with this, not only are I/single Christians called to the difficult task to remain celibate (regardless of sexual attraction type), but if I think heterosexual marriage is what God thinks is best/as part of Christian worldview, I should be able to put this forth as a valid opinion among opinions formed with other belief foundations (well beyond discussion here, and I’m weary as is). However, in a pluralistic society, I understand how defining marriage and its purpose is in flux as I write.

I think Datsyuk tried to duck the question of the Russian law by saying that his beliefs are in the Orthodox religion’s principles. HE DID NOT SAY THAT HE ENDORSED THE CHURCH’S ACTIONS REGARDING THIS LAW, but the problem is (as many have noted) he certainly left that implication as a possiblity. Similarly, I hold firm to Protestant doctrine, but doesn’t mean I endorse everything a church does.

The law itself is intentionally vague and can use fines/jailtime to keep people quiet. I’ve already said that I oppose this because of limiting freedom of speech, regardless of what one feels about homosexuality.

To shift gears, I had been bullied and taunted for years in schools. I know the pain of being hurt physically and emotionally too many times. I don’t want anyone (homosexual, atheist, Muslim, whatever) to be taunted, be slurred, threatened, beaten up, looked down upon, etc., and as a society, we should help those not looking to harm others in the first place from such abuse.

On the flip side, George, it is possible to oppose (homosexual) behavior and still love the person. Examples include what a pastor did years ago at my church in inviting homosexuals (while as a guest on a local homosexual talk show) to the church. People came given his sincere effort for the church to have them come without being scorned/shunned. The Pope is trying to break down defenses and walls without compromising doctrine, to actually live out their written doctrine to love and accept homosexuals, and not judge because of their particular sin (vs. other sins).

Practically everyone though has noted Datsyuk’s life, agree or disagree with what he said/believes, how his life’s actions and words speak to who he is as a caring human being. Honestly, when’s the last time someone has found something bad to say about him in his actions (I know today is for criticizing him about his words, but as George noted, look at the whole picture)? We’ll see if he says more later, meets w/Z, etc.

I realize y’all may want to run me out of TMR for this, (especially if you think I’m endorsing discrimination) so if I’m going down in flames, thank you everyone regardless. I hope we can respect our differences more and more civilly regardless of topic. More importantly, I hope that there are no more social discussions for a long time, since I’d been coming here to ESCAPE these types of discussions.

Posted by Bugsy on 08/23/13 at 03:24 AM ET

Hawk's avatar

Malik, you really got issues. It’s already the third post in less then 24 hours related to what Datsyuk has said about his religious preferences (even though it was in context of LGBT)!

Posted by Hawk from Moscow, Russia on 08/23/13 at 04:37 AM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

Meant for this to go here not in the newest Malik post.

I’m no expert in Orthodox religion or of any religion for that matter.

I do know it’s common among Christian religions that no man can judge another man and only God can do that at their time of reckoning.

Maybe it’s possible that Pav’s was referring to himself in that respect.  That he, as a man, cannot judge someone for being born homosexual but he leaves that up to his God.

Of course we don’t know that.  Just as we cannot say, with only what he was quoted as saying, that he endorses what the Russian government has passed as law.

I hope Malkin and Ovechkin will not have to deal with this bullshight.

Let’s play some fuching hockey.

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 08/23/13 at 08:19 AM ET

Bent's avatar

Bugsy, your post shows exactly what a fine line this discussion is.  I thank you for putting into words how I feel, far better than I could have worded it.

What bothers me the most about this is why these journalists ask these questions.  Basically there is only one “correct” answer that won’t blow up in your face.  They don’t really want to know what he thinks, they want to know who to direct their wrath against.  I am so tired of this being the dominating discussion in the news, and I hate the name calling that comes from BOTH sides.

Let’s play some fuching hockey.

Something we ALL can agree on.

Posted by Bent from The U.P. on 08/23/13 at 10:16 AM ET

I hate you a little less today, Malik.  Only a little.

Posted by WingsBlow on 08/23/13 at 02:35 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Dude came from halfway around the world, raised on a different country, on a different religion, even on a different politic landscape. He’s gonna have different opinions, what’s the problem with that?

Take that, by what most Russians, we are the weirdos. Take that, in India, the 1,24 million residents treat hamburgers as sacred. Take that some Koreans eat dogs, and some people think you’ll come back next life as a grasshopper. Take that some people are Blues fans.

People are different, have different backgrounds which lead to different ways of viewing the world. It’s rather strange that when it comes to a nation accepting homossexuality, some won’t accept one man’s opinion.

(and he only told us what his religion is!)

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 08/22/13 at 05:39 PM ET

Amen .......  I don’t live my life or adjust my beliefs based on a sports hero opinion and sure hope most everyone else doesn’t either

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 08/23/13 at 06:20 PM ET

MsRedWingFan's avatar

Not being pro-gay does not make you anti-gay.

Supporting laws that make homosexuality illegal does.

Posted by Garth on 08/22/13 at 05:54 PM ET

and where did Datsyuk say he supported those laws??? he didn’t he only said his religion doesn’t mean he agrees with everything the religion believes ... I consider myself Christian and certainly DO NOT believe EVERYTHING that Christiandom promotes.

Posted by MsRedWingFan from West Michigan hometown of Abdelkader on 08/23/13 at 06:26 PM ET

« Previous        < 1 2 3 >       Next »