The Malik Report

Datsyuk bags first KHL goal

I promise to not go overboard with Pavel Datsyuk stuff, but Datsyuk scored a heck of a goal and has also registered an assist as SKA St. Petersburg leads Salavat Yulaev 2-0. Here's Datsyuk's goal from Nino Tannahill on Twitter:

Also:

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

This is nearly as depressing as seeing his NHL stats page:

Posted by neffernin on 08/25/16 at 01:25 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

I promise to not go overboard with Pavel Datsyuk stuff

Don’t see why not? wink

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/25/16 at 01:25 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Wait, wtf is that goalie doing? Great awareness by Pavs, and got enough lift/accuracy on the backhand, but man, talk about a fish out of water.

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/25/16 at 01:28 PM ET

Colin's avatar

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/25/16 at 01:28 PM ET

Could it be that the goalie was really that bad? Or is it that he was up against a Datsyuk/Kovalchuk combo.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 08/25/16 at 01:31 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Posted by Colin on 08/25/16 at 01:31 PM ET

Lean strongly towards bad goaltending. Pavs is at the top of the circle on his backhand and the goalie is already going down. What a dunce.

Posted by ilovehomers on 08/25/16 at 01:35 PM ET

Hrm, just noticed he is captain

Posted by neffernin on 08/25/16 at 01:39 PM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

This is nearly as depressing as seeing his NHL stats page:

Posted by neffernin on 08/25/16 at 01:25 PM ET

No kidding hmmm

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 08/25/16 at 01:48 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

With that caliber of goaltending, I could see Dats putting up 65 goals this season.

Posted by TreKronor on 08/25/16 at 02:40 PM ET

Bad goalie technique notwithstanding, but I love Kovy’s pass just inside the blue.  He caught the left defenseman going one way and perfectly placed the puck at the right time to create more space for Dangles to skate in for the backhander.  Very pretty play.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/25/16 at 02:48 PM ET

I look pretty good too when I play down one league level smile

Posted by Ventr on 08/25/16 at 02:52 PM ET

Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit's avatar

Me really likey! Thanks George. Keep em coming.

I miss him already. downer

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from PA now in SC-made in Detroit on 08/25/16 at 02:59 PM ET

Yeah, sick backhander, what a joke. But he skated pretty well on that rush.

Posted by VPalmer on 08/25/16 at 03:04 PM ET

SnarkinLarkin's avatar

Wow, that goalie was practically spawning upstream on that one. At first I thought he may have fallen, so I had to rewatch the play. Nope. Just terrible angle flop.

Posted by SnarkinLarkin on 08/25/16 at 03:17 PM ET

Definitely don’t mind seeing what Datsyuk is up to. I’d be bummed if he went to Russia and we stopped hearing about him.

Posted by Jamespqr on 08/25/16 at 04:41 PM ET

gowings's avatar

“Me really likey! Thanks George. Keep em coming.

I miss him already. downer

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!”
Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 08/25/16 at 02:59 PM ET

I totally agree!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by gowings from MTL on 08/25/16 at 06:06 PM ET

So, team Russia will be in mid season form for the World Cup? Did they intentionally move the schedule?

Posted by VPalmer on 08/25/16 at 06:35 PM ET

This is what I was able to find:  English page of CSKA.

Posted by SYF from impossible and oddly communally possessive sluts on 08/25/16 at 06:50 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Not sure how this works but…could Dats “resign” with the Wings after his current contract expires for $1 to retire a Red Wing?

Posted by mrfluffy from the phone, calling Detroit, telling them it's on 08/25/16 at 08:20 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

I miss him already.

He was my favorite. smile

Posted by bigfrog on 08/25/16 at 08:44 PM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

I will never have an issue with anything Pavel here.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 08/25/16 at 09:09 PM ET

? Did they intentionally move the schedule?

The league start has a lot to do with :

1) Break for three European tournaments.

2) The World Championships in early May, which is still a big deal in Russia.

3) The KHL wants to awards the Gagarin Cup as close as possible to the date of his first orbit around the earth, 04/12/1961

4) Travel and recovery, Moscow to Vladivostok is an 8 hour and 30 minute flight. If you are up at 4am east coast time tomorrow, you might be able to stream the Admiral-Lokomotiv game. Try here onhockey.tv

Posted by Cubanpuckstoppr on 08/25/16 at 10:51 PM ET

Hank1974's avatar

I like how the Euro leagues take breaks so teams/players can compete in other tournaments or international matches.

I wish the NHL would do the same.

Posted by Hank1974 on 08/26/16 at 08:28 AM ET

Seeing as I have Datsyuk and 2 Kovalchuk jerseys in my closest, this is both a pain and a pleasure to watch.

Posted by evileye on 08/26/16 at 12:59 PM ET