The Malik Report

Datsyuk And Babcock On Pavel’s Return Tonight

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

“Sooner or later I needed to start,” Datsyuk said after the morning skate. “I’ve been waiting enough.”

It was Datsyuk’s decision. He is the captain of the Russian Olympic team and wanted to play in a couple of games before heading to Sochi, Russia, on Sunday.

“I just hope we’re doing the right thing,” coach Mike Babcock said. “I hope we’re not bringing him back just because it’s the Olympics. I hope he’s actually ready and we’re going to find out tonight. One thing about getting back on the ice, you can’t hide out there.

“It’s in his country, he wants to play bad, but he’s a smart guy, he isn’t going to jeopardize his career over something like this. Makes no sense. So we got to trust him. Same way it happens all the time. You trust them. In the end they make the decision. That’s what injured players do.”

Asked how he feels, Datsyuk said, “It’s hard to say but when game starts, I start to more feel it and then I can say. But now it’s OK.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul,

Do you recall what the injury was? From what I remember it was a knee maybe?

Posted by Dynasty1926 on 02/06/14 at 02:43 PM ET

Paul's avatar

D, it has never been mentioned, just lower-body but most assume it is a knee.

He played the full WC game, scored in the shootout too, but hasn’t played since.

So did he get hurt in practice, did it flare up post game, who knows.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 02/06/14 at 02:45 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

i will be watching

Posted by Rdwings28 on 02/06/14 at 02:46 PM ET

I thought the doctors tell the team and players whether or not they’re fully rehabbed enough to play???

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/06/14 at 02:48 PM ET

I try my best to be an optimist, and I like to think I do a good job. It has been a rough year, but for the 20 years I’ve been a fan, 15 of which I remember, I have been beyond blessed to watch a great team. That being said, if Pavel plays in the Olympics, and then misses time with the Wings after, I will be beyond pissed off.

Posted by letsmakeit12 on 02/06/14 at 03:01 PM ET

Doctors can’t tell Datsyuk if he is in pain or not.

Posted by Garth on 02/06/14 at 03:11 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I don’t think it will come to that.  He’ll know before he gets to Sochi if he can play, I’m guessing.  If he can’t play, he won’t play.

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/06/14 at 03:21 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Now Pav says Helm is centering the line.  Im so confused.

Posted by Hootinani on 02/06/14 at 03:31 PM ET

Down River Dan's avatar

Reason # 1,000,000 why amateurs and NOT Pros should be skating in the Olympics.

Woo Boy !! I’m sure Americans are gonna be glued to their TV sets at 6:00 am to watch NHL players take on Belarus.

Thank god NBC will tape delay the matches and show them in prime time (sarcasm)

shut eye

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/06/14 at 04:03 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I believe that Pavel will take draws, but it will be Helm that does the centering. Unless God bows before Pasha and let him take the Throne. Either way, they will be on the same line to begin with. Later on in the game? Who knows.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/06/14 at 04:08 PM ET

Thank god NBC will tape delay the matches and show them in prime time (sarcasm)

Posted by Down River Dan on 02/06/14 at 03:03 PM ET

With egregiously massive amounts of face time for Bob Costas.

Dear Gord, sometimes, I hate American broadcasts of the Olympics.  Just show the fuching games.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/06/14 at 04:14 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Reason # 1,000,000 why amateurs and NOT Pros should be skating in the Olympics.

I’m in complete agreement.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 02/06/14 at 04:16 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

I do agree that Professionals shouldn’t be allowed to play cause of obligations to their team.. But all the fans want to see those superstars. And for almost all of one team to be of professional players would be pretty sweet to see.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/06/14 at 04:18 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Datsyuk doesn’t have much of a choice as to whether he’s playing. Home ice in Putin’s Russia, as the captain of the team = if he was literally skating on one leg, he’d be going.

Stevie tested the limits of team loyalty in 2002 and the Wings are going to have to cross their fingers about Pavel…I guess you could say that participation in the Olympics is a devil’s bargain in that regard.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/06/14 at 04:20 PM ET

RorSchach's avatar

Good point, G-Money.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/06/14 at 04:24 PM ET

Joe Z.'s avatar

Good point, G-Money.

Posted by RorSchach from Datsberg on 02/06/14 at 03:24 PM ET

Or just another attempt at making the sport about something else.

Posted by Joe Z. from Austria on 02/06/14 at 04:26 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

The players want to play (that’s an NHLPA issue), the NHL is gaining the kinds of concessions and access to players that no other sport has been able to demand in return for risking their best players (that’s a league issue) for exposure’s sake, and the IIHF is a little more likely to agree to holding a World Cup 2 years in between each Olympic games and a little less likely to totally side with European leagues regarding NHL drafting rights and KHL poaching if the NHL participates (that’s a power issue).

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 02/06/14 at 04:36 PM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

Babcock usually measures his comments, and to say the above, sounds more like comments from a Coach who is not on the same page as the hope of the player.Otherwise why say it? You’re a coach, job is to win, you get 1 of the top 5-6 in the game back, and your not just glad to have him back?

Something smells fishy, and its not al zabvoka’s hands

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 02/06/14 at 04:39 PM ET

alfrules's avatar

If by chance the knee does not hold up, how much cap space is available
if Dats goes on LTIR?

Posted by alfrules on 02/06/14 at 04:49 PM ET

Something smells fishy, and its not al zabvoka’s hands

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 02/06/14 at 03:39 PM ET

Or sounds like a head coach of the Canadian national team whose biggest challenge could possibly be the Russian team and Datsyuk is one of their best players.

Posted by George0211 on 02/06/14 at 04:57 PM ET

YzermanZetterberg's avatar

Posted by MurrayChadwick on 02/06/14 at 03:39 PM ET

As Canada’s coach, Babcock has a completely different reason to hope Datsyuk doesn’t play.

Posted by YzermanZetterberg on 02/06/14 at 04:58 PM ET

As Canada’s coach he has every reason to hope that every team has a bunch guys playing injured.

Posted by Garth on 02/06/14 at 05:41 PM ET

Alan's avatar

Uncle Mike doesn’t sound confident about Datsyuk. This worries me.

I guess we’ll know what’s up tonight, won’t we? L G R W

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 02/06/14 at 06:10 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Posted by SYF from the Swedish Ice Mafia on 02/06/14 at 03:14 PM ET

Absolutely on the money.  USA Olympic coverage makes me stick my finger down my throat, that is, I imagine it is the same or worse than before. I rarely watch anything except hockey anymore.

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/06/14 at 06:43 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

Babcock usually measures his comments,
Posted by MurrayChadwick on 02/06/14 at 03:39 PM ET

That is exactly how I took it, Coach.  Also he gives a way out for Datsyuk “he’s smart, he won’t risk his career, he’ll find out on the ice because you can’t hide out there.”

Posted by RWBill from the open bar on The Hasek. on 02/06/14 at 06:45 PM ET

Datsyuk doesn’t have much of a choice as to whether he’s playing.

Hey, maybe there should be an audit or something.

Anyway, is it just me or can this whole debacle can be seen from about a million miles away?  Datsyuk plays a game or two, is okay, pushes it and aggravates whatever it is, and misses a month or more.

Hell, the way this season is going it might be the full blown 6 monther a player at his age never quite gets all the way back from.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/06/14 at 07:01 PM ET

calquake's avatar

How many of you people would put up with your employer telling you what you can and can’t do outside of work?  Please tell me how many of you would tell the USA to f*ck off because your boss won’t like it.  It is an honor to represent your country.  Most of us can’t even manage our own lives but we feel justified telling others what they should do?

Posted by calquake on 02/06/14 at 07:24 PM ET

Posted by calquake on 02/06/14 at 06:24 PM ET

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Posted by Garth on 02/06/14 at 07:50 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I’ll be up and watching.  Plus, that’s a 4am puck-drop out here.  I remember staying up to watch the 2am games back in ‘98.

USA! USA! USA!