The Malik Report

Darren Helm On the Ice

Updates from the morning skate will be posted here as needed.

added 10:36am, via Khan tweets,

Wings skating with these lines: Abdelkader-Legwand-Franzen, Nyquist-Sheahan-Tatar, Bertuzzi-Glendening-Alfredsson, Miller-Emmerton-Pulkkinen

Helm is skating but not taking part in line rushesadded

added 10:44am, More Khan,

Same power play units they practiced with yesterday: Pulkkinen at left point alongside DeKeyser with Legwand, Tatar and Sheahan on 2nd unit.

First power play unit has Franzen, Nyquist and Bertuzzi up front and Kronwall and Alfredsson at points.

Gustavsson skating as third goalie, not ready to dress yet. Mrazek will back-up Howard tonight vs. Oilers.

added 11:23am, via Khan,

Following his first skate with team in more than a week Helm said he's hoping to return next week but hard to put time frame on concussion.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I have no anticipation of Helm playing again this year.

Posted by teldar on 03/14/14 at 10:30 AM ET

gowings's avatar

Posted by teldar on 03/14/14 at 11:30 AM ET

Agreed. Furthermore, I also believe that we won’t see Pav nor Z for the rest of the season (I don’t believe this crap about them possibly coming back for the playoffs. I don’t believe we will make it to the post season…and even if I am wrong, I think its being delusional to think otherwise).

Also, whether or not fans blame Howard…..lets face it….if you really think he is an elite, he should be able to steal us a few games regardless of the defense in front of him. If you do not consider him elite, then I guess some of us can stop complaining and blame management.

Yep, I did not have my coffee this morning and the coffee machine at work is out of order…it’s going to be a long day

Posted by gowings from MTL on 03/14/14 at 10:38 AM ET

I agree on Helm. But I don’t see why we wouldn’t see Pav and Z, especially if the team makes the playoffs.
And oh yeah, Howard is not an elite goalie.

Posted by George0211 on 03/14/14 at 11:15 AM ET

I’d love to see this ratio for Darren Helm: # practices participated in : # games played in

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/14/14 at 11:33 AM ET

I still do not understand this fascination with having a forward at the point especially when we are talking a guy who will play his first NHL game and who has a great shot from a faceoff circle, not from the point.
With Smith on a PP, you get a good shot from the point plus less risk of shortanded goal against. Also you then put Pulk and Tatar at the faceoff circle for one timers.

Posted by VPalmer on 03/14/14 at 12:02 PM ET

Agreed on Smith. Why he isn’t on the powerplay is so beyond my comprehension. Let him do more cheating (he can play the “forward on the point” role). He’s got about as much offensive upside as any defenseman we have. Can’t crack the powerplay while Samuelsson or any other guy with a right handed shot can play it and now even left-shooting forwards get to do it. Not Smith, though…

Posted by VitoLambruski on 03/14/14 at 12:10 PM ET

WingsFanInBeanLand's avatar

I anticipate Helm playing again this year.

Only to get injured on his first shift in his first game back…

Posted by WingsFanInBeanLand from where free agents no longer dare. on 03/14/14 at 01:33 PM ET

I will be attending this game tonight. I suppose the only reason I am excited is to see pulkkinen lmao. Who said it earlier? Is it October yet? OMG, ready for a new season, healthy bodies etc… Maybe a #1 defenseman for…. ANYONE on our team? that’s sounds good.

Posted by Pasha1277 on 03/14/14 at 01:36 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I still do not understand this fascination with having a forward at the point

Well, they prefer to at least have someone with a right-hand shot on the point.  And someone who can hit the net.

I think “good shot” is being generous.  And if Smith is the guy who would be pressing towards the opposing goal, he is not as quick as one of the speedier fowards to get back up ice in case of an odd-man rush.

Plus he has a tendency to take it upon himself to become the risk-taking D-man on most shifts, which is not preferred if you are putting him out there with a Forward.  If he is out there as the 2nd D, then we loose the right handed shot that Alfie or TP provide.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/14/14 at 01:40 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Just came across this, regarding Pulkkinen’s locker arrangement for the night:  http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2014/3/13/5504866/teemu-pulkkinen-red-wings-locker

Talk about accommodating.

Posted by TreKronor on 03/14/14 at 01:43 PM ET

I think “good shot” is being generous

Yes, of course, but his shot is better than any forward we are putting there except for Alfredsson. My main point is our PP is not working. It has not been working when Dats and Z were healthy either. It has not been working since Lidstom retired, but our PP system (if we have one) is still based on as is Lidstrom is still at the point and Holmstrom is in front of the net. On the other hand, we have a lot of forwards who have a great shot from the faceoff circle, but our PP just does not have more than one look. This is coaching imo, no matter how many injuries we have. I guess you cannot teach Kronwall how to keep the puck in the zone, but you can create several different looks on a PP. This is my main problem with Babcock (a coach who I believe is top 5 in the league). He wants to play a certain way without paying any attention who is on his team and how to maximize their potential to help the team more. Babs love this dump and chase heavy style, but we are not the Blues or the Kings, we do not have personnel to play this style. Smith and Kindl have the offensive potential, but both have not been progressing one bit in that department. Q has been Colorado’s PP quarterback, has zero offense going with us. Some of it is on them, but some of it is on coaching. Burying skilled players on the lines with grinders does not make sense to me either. Now with this out of the way, LGRW! Important 2 points tonight.

Posted by VPalmer on 03/14/14 at 02:58 PM ET

perfection's avatar

I hear you about playing Pulkkinen on the point, but I think Babs thinks righty/lefty on the PP blueline greatly increases the chances of goals (whether stats support that I don’t know). it’s why he will STILL put Sammy out there even when he’s hardly playing Sammy ever the rest of the game (and even though Sammy’ never actually does anything from the point).

with all that said, Pulkkinen’s slapshot is pretty incredible (better than Smith I’d say). While he will hopefully one day end up a sniper in the slot like Alfie, assuming he doesn’t hurt us defensively going back up ice, it’ll be interesting to see what he can do at least. those guys rotate so much, guys on the point often start there just so they can make a designed rush to the net for a slot shot anyway. it’s a pretty fluid situation and hopefully Pukkinen’s going to be ripping them from wherever he is.

regarding his status starting on the fourth line… Pulkkinen has not played an NHL game. while he may be in the best position to succeed offensively on a line with other scorers, it’s much more of a concern that he doesn’t hurt us defensively AGAINST the other team’s scoring lines. I think his well roundedness as a player is still an unknown for Babs and he is starting him here until he figures out what he’s got. If Pulkinnen impresses him, he will move up in short order just like the other kids did.

Posted by perfection from LaLaLand on 03/14/14 at 05:30 PM ET