The Malik Report

Daniel Cleary Back With The Wings

DETROIT – The Detroit Red Wings today announced that they have re-signed left wing Daniel Cleary to a one-year contract. In accordance with club policy, additional details will not be disclosed.

added 4:39pm,

added 4:42pm,

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

Hootinani's avatar

Well, I’ve got the torches, who’s bringing the pitchforks?

Posted by Hootinani on 07/10/14 at 03:31 PM ET

Hi-*#$%@&-larious
and
un-*#$%@&-believable

I sure hope it’s a 2 way deal

Posted by George0211 on 07/10/14 at 03:31 PM ET

CRoy's avatar

You have got to be kidding me.. This better be a two way deal.

Posted by CRoy from Redford MI on 07/10/14 at 03:32 PM ET

IMOrthodox13's avatar

Please, George. For the love of humanity, tell us this is a 2-way deal!!!

Posted by IMOrthodox13 on 07/10/14 at 03:34 PM ET

Paul's avatar

IMO, I would but then again I am not George.  He is on his way back from Traverse City as we speak.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/10/14 at 03:37 PM ET

:sadrofl:

Posted by SYF from The Revenge of Johnny E on 07/10/14 at 03:37 PM ET

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

Bringing the band back together, yeeeehaaawww!!!!

It’s still 2009 right?

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 07/10/14 at 03:40 PM ET

Riviera's avatar

Bloody hell. If he takes a roster spot from one of the young guys without severely outplaying them in the preseason, I’m going to flip out.

Posted by Riviera from Phoenix on 07/10/14 at 03:40 PM ET

Tony Perkis's avatar

The Detroit Red Wings are now your 2014-2015 Stanley Cup champions. Dan Cleary Conn Smythe er no?

Posted by Tony Perkis from Drinking at Robert's Lounge with Billy Batts on 07/10/14 at 03:40 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added $$$ per Dreger in the post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 07/10/14 at 03:40 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

This day just got worse. Aw how sweet. A promise made good between Kenny and Danny. Vomit. I don’t even care if it’s a two way deal. He shouldn’t be on the team or near the team or anything anymore. So dumb.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 07/10/14 at 03:40 PM ET

So I surmise a trade is coming for Green or Myers?

Posted by redwingshomersLOL on 07/10/14 at 03:41 PM ET

WingFanFormerlyInLA's avatar

Concur….I don’t care if it’s a two way or not.

Posted by WingFanFormerlyInLA on 07/10/14 at 03:42 PM ET

About two weeks before free agency I was in a room with my girlfriend and two friends. I bet them $100 each that the wings would not resign quincey and if they did I would not watch a single game. I made this bet because I was very confident that Kenneth Holland could not possibly be that bad.

The Red Wings resigned quincey. This move alone had me confident I would probably be able to resist the temptation and hey who knows maybe I can sneak a game or two in and feel morally upright.

That moral dilemma will not be an issue anynore.

Posted by Robert on 07/10/14 at 03:43 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Dan Cleary is a beast!

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 07/10/14 at 03:45 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

So I surmise a trade is coming for Green or Myers?
Posted by redwingshomersLOL on 07/10/14 at 04:41 PM ET

Yep, and if this is any indicator, it will be Mantha, Nyquist and a 1st in 2015, and Holland will promise that Detroit will come in last place next season to make that 1st worth while.  Holland’s all about doing people favors, apparently.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/10/14 at 03:45 PM ET

somebody please Nancy Kerrigan this guy. or better yet run him over with the equipment truck

Posted by jkm2011 on 07/10/14 at 03:49 PM ET

Who cares? At this point the only “move” I’ll be interested in is Holland stepping down…in about 10 more years.

Posted by godblender on 07/10/14 at 03:50 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by jkm2011 on 07/10/14 at 04:49 PM ET

Doesn’t he come pre-Kerrigan’d?  It sure looks like it when he’s trying to drag his sorry butt up the ice.

Posted by Hootinani on 07/10/14 at 03:51 PM ET

Can someone please repost that photoshop of Ken Holland and Dan Cleary as Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger from Brokeback Mountain?

I need to laugh.

Posted by VitoLambruski on 07/10/14 at 03:53 PM ET

There is absolutely nothing surprising here. Now I think it’s official that Jurco is starting in GR and it’s official KH has seriously lost it (as was pretty clear after Q signing). Mr.Ilitch has to get rid of the guy FAST before he does not make any more moves. For the love of this team, please somebody stop KH.
I am pretty sure it’s a one way contract (it’s too early signing for a 2 way contract), but even if it is not, no way Cleary will be sent to GR no matter how poorly he looks.
I am waiting for HockeyinHD to put a spin on this signing and defend KH.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/10/14 at 03:53 PM ET

Holland ’ contract hasn’t been renewed correct?

The illitcges cannot really be tgat oblivious to the state of their franchise can they? The Wings are an organization that stands for respect and I get that but… They are business people and there has to be a line in the sand somewhere right?

I don’t know how this team plans to be better when it has been showing up in October almost exactly the same.

Posted by Robert on 07/10/14 at 03:57 PM ET

——Trying to find room to fit its overflowing stock of young forwards, DET signs 35-year-old coming off a terrible

—-Well, we are quickly becoming the laughing stock of NHL thanks to KH. Another couple of moves and we are talking Garth Snow territory. Our future: Nyquist, Tatar, Sheahan and Jurco must be loving this.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/10/14 at 03:58 PM ET

Holland ’ contract hasn’t been renewed correct?

That’s the question I have been asking for the last 6 months. Who is KH’s boss? He seems to be operating in his own world and does whatever he wants (usually whatever is the easiest path not to rough any feathers with the veteran crybabies like Cleary). There is a point in time when his actions are becoming dangerous to the team.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/10/14 at 04:01 PM ET

silversailer's avatar

“I don’t know why they’re not coming here” - Ken Holland

This is why, Ken. This is why.

When you refuse to make the team competitive, that is why they won’t come here.

Posted by silversailer on 07/10/14 at 04:01 PM ET

I like Scott Cullen. He usually finds an effective, informative way of calling a bafflingly awful deal what it is, without getting hyperbolic or personal. It’s doubly devastating for being measured.

Posted by Lefty30 on 07/10/14 at 04:04 PM ET

I think it is exactly the time to lump Kenny in with Garth Snow. Garth hasn’t done a lot of things right, but at least he has Tavares locked up to a pretty nice contract?

Posted by Robert on 07/10/14 at 04:05 PM ET

Holland needs to go.

Posted by Lidstromfan on 07/10/14 at 04:11 PM ET

“Loyal to a fault” doesn’t even begin to capture (both Holland and the people above him) what is wrong here. This is how empires crumble (ok maybe that is hyperbolic in terms of hockey; but we’re all hockey and Wings obsessives here). The braintrust is gone. The owner is ailing and maybe desires a World Series most of all. Devellano is aging and seems less involved. Who is there to really check Holland and provide a dissenting view? The host of former Wings (all good people who contribute much to their jobs, I’m sure) who are his buddies and underlings and part of his clique? What, Kris Draper is going to tell Kenny he’s misguided and loyalty doesn’t demand sabotaging the whole team to sign a guy who physically can’t play anymore? Um, I doubt it. Organizations don’t thrive this way.

Maybe Yzerman needed to prove himself in a non-traditional market first. But they never should have let Nill move on. Holland said that when Lidstrom retired he was gone. Well, maybe it shouldn’t have been a joke. Another time, Holland sounded horrified at the prospect of losing Nill (“He’s my eyes!”) But the stubborn GM had to keep the top job and let rest leave, and the league and game have passed him by.
I am starting to feel contempt and disgust toward the remaining management of the team I love.

Posted by Lefty30 on 07/10/14 at 04:12 PM ET

Emotions aside, can somebody on this planet explain this signing and tell me that KH is acting in the best interests of the team we all love? He just signed by far the worst forward on this team (including GR guys) to $1.5 mil dollars when we already have how many forwards under contract?
I will say it again, somebody has to stop this guy before Mantha, Nyquist and Jurco are not traded for Mike Green. The man, who was a very good GM for a long time, reached an absolute insanity level.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/10/14 at 04:13 PM ET

hockeychic's avatar

depressing…that’s all I have to say.

Posted by hockeychic from Denver, CO on 07/10/14 at 04:23 PM ET

“He’s worked hard in the gym, done things to get himself back,” general manager Ken Holland said. Unfortunately he had a tough year,” Holland said. “He’s a guy the coaching staff likes, his teammates like. He’s a leader in the room. He can play left wing/right wing, can go on the power play.”

25 years rooting for this team, I never was so mad. No, KH, Cleary CANNOT play left wing, he cannot play right wing, he cannot play on a PP. He just cannot play anymore.
He is not the player to lose Callahan and Ferraro on waivers and put Jurco in GR.
I also can work hard in the gym, it does not mean I can play in NHL.
I blame Cleary too. The guy cries his way to the roster for the second year in row. He knows KH is a wuss. He know we will be losing young players for him and there is no room for Alfy who can still play this game.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/10/14 at 04:24 PM ET

Inexplicable, outrageous, and, at the end of the day, just plain sad.

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/10/14 at 04:26 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

He still has value.  He proved that in the 2013 playoffs.  He was injured for most of last year and was not effective.  But he has proven to be a playoff performer, a leader in the locker room and has stood up for teammates (sometimes to a fault).

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 07/10/14 at 04:26 PM ET

He still has value.

Do you believe that a single one of the other 29 teams offered him even a league-minimum contract?

Do you believe his value is greater than that of Dustin Penner or even Danny Heatley?  To say nothing of Anthony Mantha or any other prospect?

Posted by captaineclectic on 07/10/14 at 04:28 PM ET

has stood up for teammates (sometimes to a fault).

I am not sure how he stood up for his teammates when he cannot stand on the skates anymore and falls on pretty much every shift. Yes, we are missing “stood up” for his teammates element, so sign Ott (too late) or give Callahan a chance or resign Bert for god’s sake, but not this…

Posted by VPalmer on 07/10/14 at 04:30 PM ET

He still has value.

As a forth liner in AHL maybe. Cleary gave all to this team and spent a nice career here, but for god’s sake somebody tell him and KH that time has come.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/10/14 at 04:32 PM ET

d ca's avatar

if this is a 2-way contract i could care less. they kept their word and put it in his hands to make the team or ride the bus for money.

Posted by d ca on 07/10/14 at 04:33 PM ET

TeamDub's avatar

No words.

Maybe Sammy’s next!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 07/10/14 at 04:36 PM ET

if this is a 2-way contract i could care less

2 way contracts are not given so early in summer usually and even if it is, there is no way they are sending Cleary to GR riding the bus to the games.

Posted by VPalmer on 07/10/14 at 04:38 PM ET