The Malik Report

Daniel Alfredsson Wants To Play Another Year, But…

added 2:27pm, And as we have heard before...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Paul's avatar

IMO, if there is any ‘but’, the Wings should go with another youngster.

The Wings don’t need the status of Alfredsson hanging over the team on a game-by-game basis.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/05/14 at 02:23 PM ET

I’d take Alfredsson with a ‘but’ over Cleary with both knees, though I’d also be more comfortable with them bringing him to camp on a ‘try out’ to see if he can compete before committing to signing him.

Posted by Garth on 08/05/14 at 02:44 PM ET

Sans Cleary we’d have the option of both youngsters and hoping Alfie’s 41 yr old back will hold up another 18/49 campaign. Le sigh…

Posted by geoffreypelkey on 08/05/14 at 02:47 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

IMO, if there is any ‘but’, the Wings should go with another youngster.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/05/14 at 02:23 PM ET

I agree. We know what ALF brings, and, it’s all good. But, it’s a young man’s game.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 08/05/14 at 03:32 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Szemberg also tweeted stating Alfredsson is going to skate next week, to test his back.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 08/05/14 at 04:41 PM ET

Posted by geoffreypelkey on 08/05/14 at 02:47 PM ET

Exactly.  It would be nice to give more time to a youngster, but at the same time you don’t want to simply write off the leading scorer for a team that wasn’t exactly a goal-scoring juggernaut.

Who knows, maybe the brass will be true to their word and Cleary won’t make the team leading the way for them to bring back Alfie on a bonus-laden contract (assuming he is healthy).

Posted by Garth on 08/05/14 at 05:06 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Alfredsson will probably be in camp on a pro try-out like Cleary should’ve been. If he can go, he earned his spot.

—George on vacation.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/05/14 at 05:46 PM ET

The Meal's avatar

Paul: IMO, if there is any ‘but’, the Wings should go with another youngster.

That was my gut reaction as well, but upon thinking about it, maybe he’s still thinking “captain-wise” and trying to absolutely minimize any distraction he’d hold to the DRW.  “I’d play for you guys, but I refuse to become a distraction in the case we can’t make a contract work.”  For 95% of professional athletes I’d not offer up this sort of benefit-of-the-doubt, but for Alfie?  I could see this being his line of thought.

Posted by The Meal on 08/05/14 at 05:50 PM ET

topshelf14's avatar

Zetterberg - Datsyuk - Nyquist
Franzen - Weiss - Alfredsson
Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco
Abdelkader - Helm - Miller

Call Ups
Glendening
Andersson
Cleary

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 08/05/14 at 07:25 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

This does make sense. I also believe some of the younger defensemen will get a “look” during the Pre Season and early regular season.

Posted by bigfrog on 08/05/14 at 07:36 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

—George on vacation.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 08/05/14 at 05:46 PM ET

All work and no play makes George. tongue wink

We all miss you.

Chill, George. At least try to.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 08/05/14 at 08:42 PM ET

I like Alfy more than about half of our roster, young or old, and would not mind having him back. But I still think the risk is just too much. Alfy will start skating next week and let’s say he feels great. KH signs him for $1 mil dollars with $4 mil of easily obtained bonuses. His back can flare up at any moment, he is 41 after all.

Posted by VPalmer on 08/07/14 at 11:37 AM ET