The Malik Report

Daniel Alfredsson: the topic that won’t go away for Senators fans, or Red Wings fans

Oh joy. Sportsnet's Chris Johnston spoke with Ottawa Senators GM Bryan Murray and presumptive captain-to-be Jason Spezza at the Leafs' prospect tournament in London, Ontario, and you'll of course be shocked to find out that their topic of discussion involved a certain Red Wings forward named Daniel Alfredsson:

“We have to fill that void,” general manager Bryan Murray told sportsnet.ca on Sunday.“Our business is one of change,” he added. “There’s not a team in this league, whether they win the Stanley Cup or otherwise, that doesn’t have to make a change or two. Sometimes you want to do it; a lot of times you’re forced to do it. In this case, we were somewhat forced to do it.”

Etc. etc.:

“I think I understand his reasons,” said Spezza. “When you get to that point of your career you’re allowed to make your own decisions and he’s obviously thought things through. Do I agree with some of the reasons? Not really. But I really respect that it’s his decision.”

There also isn’t any ambiguity for Murray, who made a few pointed comments about Alfredsson’s agent, J.P. Barry, after the player’s departure.

“Whether it was the debate over finances or the debate over anything else, the bottom line was I think he felt that going to Detroit gave him a legitimate chance to win the Stanley Cup,” said Murray.

With the Red Wings moving into the realigned Atlantic Division alongside Ottawa, it won’t be very difficult to measure whether it was a wise choice or not.It also guarantees that the Senators will continue to be asked about their former captain throughout the season. They are willing to oblige, but only to a point.

“I imagine we’re going to talk about it through the first week of training camp and we’re going to talk about it when we meet Detroit, but I can’t imagine we’re going to want to talk about it too much more after that,” said Spezza.n"We’re not going to have too much time to be talking about a guy that’s on another team.”

What day is it? Guess what day it is! It's talk about Alfie day!

Trust me, this isn't enjoyable for me, either, and it's going to be delightful as marching behind twenty-four horses in a parade to have to deal with sorting through what's pertinent and what's not in news out of Ottawa while covering the Wings up here in Traverse City.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Da lil Guy's avatar

If Nik Lidstrom had left Detroit to play in Colorado for his last season, do you think that would have been news in Detroit for a while?

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 09/08/13 at 08:50 PM ET

wedge56's avatar

As far as I can tell in all this, Alfie took a pay cut on his last contract to help the team.  The team told him they would pay him back for that with next contract (if he didn’t retire).  They freed up cap space and didn’t do what they said they were going to do.  A player like Alfie, who has given his heart and soul to a franchise, doesn’t make this decision unless he felt like he was wronged.

Posted by wedge56 on 09/08/13 at 10:19 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by Da lil Guy from Guelph, Ontario on 09/08/13 at 08:50 PM ET

We’re kinda’ past “a while” now though.

Posted by Primis on 09/08/13 at 11:09 PM ET

We’re kinda’ past “a while” now though.

Really?  He’s had a few informal practices with his new teammates and hasn’t yet played a single gam for the Red Wings, much less played a game against the Sens.

If you think thy’ere unreasonable for still talking about, you might want to avoid hockey sites or another opulent months because its not going to stop any time soon.

Posted by Garth on 09/09/13 at 12:27 AM ET

Posted by wedge56 on 09/08/13 at 10:19 PM ET

To be fair, according to Alfie himself nobody expected him to play last year.  His plan was to retire, so there was no way they expected to “pay him back”.  It sounds, again from what he said, the HE decided he should be paid back if he continued to play.  Which is his prerogative, of course.

Posted by Garth on 09/09/13 at 12:30 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

The topic’s not going to go away and the discussion will remain heated for a while. I hope that after he returns to Ottawa in December, maybe the wounds will start to heal, but I doubt that’s how it’ll go.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/09/13 at 12:34 AM ET

tuxedoTshirt's avatar

Lindstrom isn’t really the same, since he won (anyone like that?)
It’s more like if Igilna left

Posted by tuxedoTshirt from the Home of the 1937 World Champions on 09/09/13 at 12:52 AM ET

tkfergy's avatar

Wings fans are still bitter about what happened with Fedorov and you say that this is long enough? He was the face of their franchise.

Posted by tkfergy on 09/09/13 at 02:41 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

S’okay that people are going to have their “feels” and that they’re going to want to talk their feelings out. All I can ask is that we try to respect each other and understand that the Senators fans’ points of view are valid.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 09/09/13 at 02:43 AM ET

“Oh joy.”

” and you’ll of course be shocked to find out that their topic of discussion involved a certain Red Wings forward named Daniel Alfredsson”

“What day is it? Guess what day it is! It’s talk about Alfie day!”

“Trust me, this isn’t enjoyable for me, either, and it’s going to be delightful as marching behind twenty-four horses in a parade”

Oh, indeed.