The Malik Report

Dangerous dithering

From my phone, from lovely Community Mental Health of Oakland County (for a routine appointment)...As Paul posted below, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo is reporting that Ryan Suter may not entertain offers on Sunday at all, and I can’t help but think that such a plan is incredibly foolhardy at best.

Yes, Suter is the premier defenseman available, but especially if he l’s planning on circling back to the Predators to give them a chance to match offers, as the Tennessean’s Josh Cooper has suggested…

Teams like Detroit, Pittsburgh, Minnesota, etc. cannot simply sit and wait as Matt Carle or Jason Garrison sign elsewhere and prospective bidders face the prospect of losing the Suter sweepstakes AND finding themselves having lost out on the few remaining marquee free agents out there as well.

At best, Suter and possibly Parise’s lines of thought will whittle down the number of bidders significantly, and it is incredibly likely that such delays will also ensure smaller paydays for any free agent, no matter how talented or in demand he might be if he chooses to wait hours or even days to entertain offers and be wines and dined.

On July 1st, negotiating periods even for the Sutersand Parises of the world must take minutes or at most a few hours so that the “losers” can avail themselves of other personnel options. If Suter thinks that he can simply field offers on his own time and still land a “lifetime contract” at an incredibly high cap figure on July 2nd, 3rd or 4th, he’s sorely mistaken.

That’s crazy thinking, and I’m sitting just outside an office of professionals who know what “crazy” really is.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

George…I hope Oakland County CMH is more on task than the one here in Genesee County. The simplest (seemingly, at least) scheduling turns into 4-5 phone calls after numerous cancellations and none of the “help” can have more than a 9th grade education. I once had a physician’s assistant (who the rest of the staff senselessly referred to as “doctor”...pretty sure actual medical doctors would have a problem with that) tell me, “well, maybe YOU should be a doctor” when I asked a couple of basic questions about a medication he wanted to prescribe to me. He also had his dog?! in the office with him and made me sit and wait in there while he took a call. Professional, yes?

Posted by godblender on 06/29/12 at 06:22 PM ET

RWBill's avatar

They should have some good idea which final teams are being considered before noon Sunday.  I don’t know how long it would take to sort out the Rangers, Detroit, Pittsburgh and Wild if you keep phoning around in circles bidding until the gavel strikes three times.

Some articles are guessing on contract offers at $6-7M.  “Criminy”, the Wings ought to be ready to offer 1-2 M higher than that for each Suter and Parise.  Parise is already at $6+ isn’t he?  Wouldn’t shock me at all that he got something near $10 M, and the Wings should be one of those offering.

41 hours and counting down.

Posted by RWBill from cruising Brush Street with creepy Rob Lowe. on 06/29/12 at 06:46 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

CMH of Oakland County is thankfully funded as well as one would hope for from the wealthiest county in the state. I still have to fight to get my meds refilled on time (despite a fantastic case manager, and boy howdy, are they overworked and expected to be therapists/psychiatrists/psychologists/social workers/etc.) and only see a very disinterested shrink every three months. I get the most I can from it by being a savvy consumer.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/29/12 at 07:43 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

I would think that Suter and Parise would go before any other teams could use the B plans.  I hope this is his agent not him.  Pretty stupid move.  So teams either wait and miss out on other UFAs or go B plan and have to trade someone to accommodate Plan A.

Suter has played with Headcase Weber too long???

GMs must be going crazy!!!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 06/29/12 at 07:51 PM ET

If Russo’s report is indeed acurate, Suter has already made his decision, and he’s just
“waiting for the paperwork to go through.”  A couple of years ago I knew exactly, precisely what car I wanted to buy. I called a dealership, asked if they had the exact car I wanted and they did.  I already had the financing.  The following day dealer delivers my car, signed the paperwork, thank you very much. Myself and the car dealer can be thought of as Suter and his agent. Obviously, I’v got no idea what team he signs with.

Posted by beelza on 06/29/12 at 08:56 PM ET

I doubt if any players are going to reveal anything to Russo or Poile’s bitch Cooper prior to tomorrow, same goes for the agents..  I agree with the statement that they have an idea where they are going, just haven’t made it known yet in the public eye.

Posted by @TheJimPl9 from Nashville on 06/30/12 at 10:13 AM ET