The Malik Report

Dan Boyle Would Be A Great Fit In Detroit

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

Boyle, a veteran offensive defenseman who is a vocal leader, is certain to draw considerable interest on the market, which means that unless the Islanders throw a lot of money at Boyle, he’s going to be an unrestricted free agent....

Boyle isn’t as dynamic as the No. 1 defenseman headed for UFA status, Matt Niskanen, but Boyle won’t cost the same, either, in contract length or money. On a two-year deal, he could be a terrific addition, someone to buy the Wings a little breathing room as they wait for prospects Xavier Ouellet, Ryan Sproul and Alexei Marchenko to develop. Boyle could help nurture Danny DeKeyser and Brendan Smith, offensively gifted defensemen who’d benefit from having an experienced partner.

All things considered, Boyle looks to be the ideal candidate for the Wings to upgrade their defense.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Helene, did you file this before Boyle’s rights got traded? Did you notice Tampa also appears to be extremely interested? I’d say, with NY ponying up a pick and TB apparently ready to do so, that Boyle, should he actually hit the open market, has some teams very hot on his trail.

Anyone else suspect the Wings will add a defenseman via trade? I’d absolutely puke if it were By-fug-lien, but I’d be very excited if it were Bogosian….

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/06/14 at 10:14 AM ET

Posted by VitoLambruski on 06/06/14 at 10:14 AM ET

Good luck on Bogosian, would probably take a lot more than Kenny is willing to pay.
I think I would be excited about Buf, if that happened.

Posted by George0211 on 06/06/14 at 10:29 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Neither Bogosian nor Buff are the building block Dman we are looking for, IMO.

Posted by MoreShoot on 06/06/14 at 10:38 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

Did you not read the first paragraph of this post????    \/\/\/\/\/

is certain to draw considerable interest on the market, which means that unless the Islanders throw a lot of money at Boyle, he’s going to be an unrestricted free agent….

Posted by TreKronor on 06/06/14 at 10:52 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

Please see the next entry, folks, for stuff about the Isles on Boyle and Boyle’s agent on the Isles: http://kuklaskorner.com/tmr/comments/red-wings-morning-news-on-boyle-edler-gustavsson-glendening-and-managing-lo

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 06/06/14 at 10:56 AM ET

Any time a team sacrifices a pick for the rights to talk to UFA, I really believe they have some general idea of what this player is looking for (term and money) and I also think they have some sort of a verbal agreement with this player that he will sign with them.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/06/14 at 11:20 AM ET

Posted by VPalmer on 06/06/14 at 11:20 AM ET

As it has been mentioned already, this is Garth Snow we are talking about, so general rules don’t apply. And common sense for that matter grin

Posted by George0211 on 06/06/14 at 11:21 AM ET

topshelf14's avatar

The fact the Isles decided to retain there 2014 pick and concede there 2015 pick to the Sabers leads me to think they are going to make a hard push for the playoffs next season. I could see then throwing stupid money at Boyle that would be very hard to turn down.

Posted by topshelf14 from Detroit, MI on 06/06/14 at 11:40 AM ET

Halak, Boyle, Niskanen and Gaborik and they will be a good team.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/06/14 at 12:28 PM ET

Going after Byfuglien would be asking for a disaster. Yes, he can produce points but he is terrible on defense. I cannot count the number of times I’ve seen a forward blow by him.

Bogosian isn’t likely to happen just because of the price.

I think the Red Wings long-term plan is to build a solid defense from within. That would mean they are seeking a veteran who can bridge them to that time. I’m sure they’ll poke around at what is available though.

If you want to deal with Winnipeg, find a way to get Kane in a Wings uniform. He can already put up 30 goals a year and has plenty of upside left.

Posted by evileye on 06/06/14 at 03:30 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

That would be collusion. To have an agreement before getting the rights to talk would be a huge violation.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 06/06/14 at 03:52 PM ET