The Malik Report

Custance: Wings angling for Spencer Foo

From the Athletic's Craig Custance:

The Red Wings are looking to collect young talent and may be closing in on a promising college free agent. An NHL source confirmed with The Athletic that top college free-agent forward Spencer Foo has narrowed down his list and the Detroit Red Wings are part of a “small handful” of teams still in the running.

According to a source close to Foo, the Red Wings made an impressive pitch described as “first-class” that put them in the mix to land the free agent, a pitch combined with multiple meetings and conversations with Jiri Fischer, the Red Wings director of player evaluation, that has kept Detroit in the conversation.

Foo (6-0, 180) had a big year in his third season at Union College, putting up 62 points in 38 games and the 23-year-old attracted major interest from NHL teams.

According to the Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson, the Oilers are also one of four teams still in contention to sign Foo, an Edmonton, Alberta native. Vegas and Philadelphia have also been mentioned as potential destinations for Foo.

Continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

The Meal's avatar

Taro Tsujimoto?

Posted by The Meal from Firestone, CO on 06/20/17 at 12:10 AM ET

Custance is burning it up with his new magazine.

Thanks for posting the excerpt and link.

I know nothing about Foo, but that’s a quality jersey name
and Detroit needs a little luck in signing college talent at forward.
They have of course helped supplement the draft by signing some
quality depth with some upside at D and a #3 G with Coreau.

Posted by Lefty30 on 06/20/17 at 01:05 AM ET

This happens fairly regularly. We always seem to miss out on these guys….

Posted by Iamhaljordan on 06/20/17 at 04:51 AM ET

TeamDub's avatar

I wonder if he’s a fighter…

Posted by TeamDub from The gratch. on 06/20/17 at 07:50 AM ET

I’m no scout but I got to watch him play a couple of times last season.  He got a lot of attention for his scoring but he plays a good 2-way game.  The games I saw he was on the PK every time.  He’s quick, a playmaker, and seemed to have a quick shot.
He played a lot with Mike Vecchione who was in the final 3 for the Hobey Baker award (Foo was in the final 10). I didn’t get the impression that either player was boosting the other up.  They both stood out when on separate lines although that wasn’t often in the games I saw.

Posted by Them Bones on 06/20/17 at 10:06 AM ET

Was the pitch real estate brochures for Grand Rapids?  Or things to do innGrand Rapuds for the next 5 years?

Posted by bababooey on 06/20/17 at 10:14 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I wonder if he’s a fighter…

Ohhhh, I see what you did there.

I suppose if he gets a penalty, it’d be “Two for Foo”

Posted by TreKronor on 06/20/17 at 10:16 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

Here are Foo’s stats from EliteProspects.com. In his three years at Union College, more than half of his goals and assists came this past year.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/20/17 at 10:40 AM ET

Mistercristo's avatar

If he’s considering Detroit, I pity the Foo

Posted by Mistercristo from Cameron Frye's garage, circa 1987 on 06/20/17 at 11:14 AM ET

The Swedish Mafia will now be countered by the “Foo Tang Clan”

Posted by bababooey on 06/20/17 at 11:21 AM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I’ll be upset when we miss out on him.  His agent will probably be a real jerk, call up Holland and say, “No Foo for you!”

Posted by TreKronor on 06/20/17 at 11:24 AM ET

Primis's avatar

In all seriousness, has anyone actually seen him play?  I have no idea about the guy, nothing at all.  That makes it difficult for me to care whether DET gets him or not.

If he has first line potential, I’d say go for it.  If not, he’s ultimately redundant far as the org is concerned.

Posted by Primis on 06/20/17 at 11:46 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

In all seriousness, has anyone actually seen him play?

Posted by Primis on 06/20/17 at 11:46 AM ET

I’d say ThemBones gave a pretty good firsthand account.

Posted by Primis on 06/20/17 at 11:46 AM ET

Oh, come on, Primis, you’re not seriously saying you’d pass on the kid if he only had 2nd-line potential, are you?

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 06/20/17 at 07:17 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

The Red Wings need all of the help they get, so sign him if they can and hope he develops quickly.  grin

Posted by bigfrog on 06/20/17 at 08:14 PM ET