The Malik Report

Cory Emmerton On Waivers

from Chuck Pleiness of Red Wings Front,

The Wings have placed Cory Emmerton on waivers Saturday.

He has until noon Sunday to clear or be picked up by another team.

If he’s not picked up he’ll head back to Grand Rapids.

It’s the second time this season Emmerton has been placed on waivers.

“You know, everyone knows what’s going on here,” Emmerton said when he was placed on waivers the first time and wound up staying with the team after Patrick Eaves was placed on injured reserve. “There’s too many players, no cap space, so something’s got to give.”

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Not unexpected.  The Wings are doing really well with Miller/Glendening/Eaves as the fourth line.  It has remarkable chemistry.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/01/14 at 07:17 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

I’m not surprised either, I totally agree with SYF. Miller,Glendening and Eaves have been playing very good and have a nice chemistry. Lets Go Red Wings !!

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 02/01/14 at 07:32 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

will be an interesting problem to solve when Weiss returns and the down shift in centers comes about.

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/01/14 at 07:36 PM ET

bigfrog's avatar

Emmerton drew the short straw. Eaves has played his way back into the lineup,and also has a great wrist shot. Hopefully the 4th line continues to create havoc, and scores goals.

Posted by bigfrog on 02/01/14 at 07:46 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I liked Emmerton a lot, but only when he was playing on a line with Tootoo. But Glendenning has blown past Cory on the depth chart – and with good reason. He embodies all the best agitating qualities of a guy like Kirk Malby but a little more “grit” than Kirk had.

I hope we get to see Glendenning and Callahan on the same line next year (maybe with Miller). That could be a whole lot of fun to watch and absolutely no fun at all for other teams to play against.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 02/01/14 at 07:48 PM ET

We are crossing our fingers he ends up in GR again. We need him back badly.

Posted by griffinsfan on 02/01/14 at 08:03 PM ET

maltby18's avatar

Glendening makes for valuable insurance if Helm were to miss more time.  *knocks on wood*

Honestly I feel sort of bad for Andersson, he’s gotten passed on the depth chart while out injured by Sheahan in my view.  Weiss returning after the Olympics could make the center depth a real problem.

Dats-Z-Weiss-Sheahan-Helm-Glendening.

Any teams looking for a decent third line center who plays strong in his own end and happens to be a Swede?  With a low cap hit?

Posted by maltby18 on 02/01/14 at 08:46 PM ET

maltby18's avatar

To sort of tie that in and be on topic, Emmerton never had a chance either.  Development stalled, or whatever you want to call it.

Posted by maltby18 on 02/01/14 at 08:48 PM ET

Dats-Z-Weiss-Sheahan-Helm-Glendening

If they’re all healthy the Z will play wing.

Trade Andersson, put Sheahan at wing.

Posted by Garth on 02/01/14 at 09:47 PM ET

Posted by MoreShoot on 02/01/14 at 06:36 PM ET
__________________________________________

Dats-Z-Weiss-Sheahan-Helm-Glendening.

Posted by maltby18 on 02/01/14 at 07:46 PM ET

Times like this I’m glad I’m just a Wings fan, but I would presume that Blabcock will want the Euro Twins playing together as a first line (again, presuming that EVERY ONE’s healthy).

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 02/01/14 at 09:51 PM ET

alwaysaurie's avatar

Agreed that Z plays best on Datsyuk’s wing and he’ll be there as soon as we’re not short of centers.

I really like Andersson, but it may be that they decide to move him. I think his play this year has been a little disappointing while Glendening has been better-than-advertised. Sheahan I think is safe from going to GR for the rest of the year(I think that was the decision made when we waived Samuelsson) and will get time as a winger if the centers are all here.

Either one could be moved I guess(likely for picks only)... I’m kinda glad that I don’t have to pull the trigger.

Posted by alwaysaurie on 02/02/14 at 12:02 AM ET

NickLidstrom's avatar

Z plays best no matter where he plays. I think Datsyuk benefits more from having Hank out there than vice versa. Was Andersson playing wing last game? How did he look?

Posted by NickLidstrom from a Higher Ground on 02/02/14 at 12:58 AM ET

Hidden in the general dumpster fire this season has been to date: Andersson’s been pretty bad.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 02/02/14 at 08:17 AM ET

squirrely's avatar

Andersson’s going through the typical sophomore slump.  I’d like to hang on to him and if need be, move him to wing.  It’s always a good problem to have to shift a center to wing, face-off wise, with the amount of times guys get booted from the circle.  Plus, centers tend to be a bit more defensively responsible, so throwing them on the wing is a plus in my mind.

It’s been a rough year for the wings in general, a little adversity will help out in the long term of development.  The young guys have been thrown into tougher situations and while they may not all have succeeded, it helps long-term.

Posted by squirrely from Dirty Jersey on 02/02/14 at 01:54 PM ET