The Malik Report

Contract Offers Made To Drew Miller And Darren Helm By Ken Holland

from Ansar Khan of Mlive,

The Detroit Red Wings are trying to re-sign two of their impending unrestricted free agents, having made offers to forwards Darren Helm and Drew Miller.

A deal with Miller could be completed soon but the Red Wings likely will be waiting a few weeks before Helm decides.

Miller, 32, was limited to 28 games due a broken jaw on Dec. 3 and a season-ending knee injury on Jan. 10. The club likes what he brings to the fourth line, the penalty killing unit and the dressing room.

He is coming off a three-year deal with a $1.35 million cap hit. Because he spent more than 100 days on injured reserve, the Red Wings can sign him to a contract that includes games played bonuses.

"We're working away, hopefully find a solution," general manager Ken Holland said. "He's a good penalty killer, he's a good leader in the room. He doesn't wear a letter but he's well-respected by the younger players. Hopefully we find a solution to keep him here for another year."

continued

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

I don’t have a problem bringing one of them back (preferably Miller because he’d be cheaper, is easily the best penalty killer and isn’t likely to tempt a panicky Jeff Blashill to slot him into a top six role) but not both of them.

That would show how completely Holland doesn’t understand today’s NHL.

Posted by Garth on 06/07/16 at 03:54 PM ET

He could be slotted in the $3.5 million to $4 million range.

Oh Jesus Christ, are you kidding me?  Helm on a 0% raise over last year isn’t a good deal, what kind of absolute moron would even consider giving him anything approaching $3.5M?

Posted by Garth on 06/07/16 at 03:57 PM ET

I would be SHOCKED if Helm stays a Red Wing. I’m pretty sure KH low balled him, because it would be bad form to not at least give Helm the option of returning with us, but Helm is gonna find the overpayment that is coming to him from another team. I hope to God anyway. Miller on the other hand would be great to bring back another year, cheap deal, bonus heavy with low cap hit, easily the 13th forward if we go with the youth. Totally fine with that.

Side note:

He doesn’t wear a letter but he’s well-respected by the younger players

I wonder who will get Datsyuk’s “A” next season?
Abby?
DK?
Larkin? (probably not quite yet)

But I have the feeling it will be one of the Michigan boys. Can’t see it being Nyquist or Tatar.

Posted by redwings_lifer on 06/07/16 at 04:10 PM ET

DocF's avatar

Uh, Garth, I believe that is entirely speculation on the part of the writer, not anything from Red Wings management.  I am inclined to say bring Helm back for about $2 million, not a penny more.  I also am quite certain he can employment elsewhere for closer to $4.50 million as there are a lot of teams that seem to want to overpay free agents.

Doc

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 06/07/16 at 04:11 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Posted by redwings_lifer on 06/07/16 at 04:10 PM ET

At forward I could see either of Abby or Miller if he’s re-signed.  I wold think Abby is the front-runner.

For defensemen…. get ready for it…. because I get a sneaky suspicion Ericsson would be in the mix.  And all of Wings Fandom will implode upon itself.

Posted by Primis on 06/07/16 at 04:13 PM ET

I’m pretty sure KH low balled him

KH does not low ball the players he drafted and developed. He overpays for them. We will see what will happen this time around.

Posted by VPalmer on 06/07/16 at 04:45 PM ET

We’ve been a mediocre team for four years, so we should take the role-players from that mediocre team and give them expensive longterm contracts.

That’ll help.

Posted by captaineclectic on 06/07/16 at 04:52 PM ET

That RFA list is longer and has a couple of more important players, like, you know, 65DD.  I’d want to lock him up first.

But whatever, Holland.

Posted by SYF from A tall cool pint of Guinness on 06/07/16 at 04:59 PM ET

Phew…..I was worried that changes were coming, but apparently not, so happy we are going with the same old same old.  Hey, we have to defend that playoff streak after all

Posted by bababooey on 06/07/16 at 05:01 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

I expected to see an offer to Helm and I’m not against it per se.  I’d still prefer to see him move on, but if he’s back, he’s back.

I love Miller,LOVE!, but he’s completely replaceable with a kid from GR who is faster and has better hands.  Could this be another Holland Loyalty Special deal?  Someone who is no longer a productive member of the team gets a couple more years because…feelings?

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/07/16 at 06:04 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

As for the “A”, Abby has worn it in pre-season games and I’m sure he’ll get it full time this year.

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 06/07/16 at 06:04 PM ET

Can anyone point to the amazing penalty killer willing to sacrifice his health for the Wings who is so easily going replace Miller?

Posted by Garth on 06/07/16 at 06:51 PM ET

Sounds like Dan Cleary to me. Heard he’s lookin for a shiny new contract too.

L O L

Posted by redwings_lifer on 06/07/16 at 07:38 PM ET

What I don’t get is… you bring these guys back, you have the guys already under contract… guys coming up you will lose or find places for… where is the “Change?”  Losing Joker?  As much as we lve these guys, they are for the most part replacement level.  Or if not, they are about to make more money thant hey are worth.  I suppose Miller is ok…but our penalty kill hasn’t been so great…really.  Look at teams with great penalty kills and for a large part, it’s speed based on top of good positioning… Miller isn’t getting any faster, Helm, whil still fast, really hasn’t been the great defensive stalwart he was in the past, as some people have mentioned.  I’m not opposed to it, but if you want change… this is a good place to start.  Helm would look great as Washington’s 3rd ine center, that’s where I’d go if I were him.

Posted by DieByTheWing on 06/07/16 at 08:23 PM ET

Wings_in_NYC's avatar

Just move on from these guys, holland. good grief. don’t overpay helm. maybe you try to retain miller on the cheap….very cheap. i have this sneaking suspicion that kenny was just blowing smoke. time will tell, but this doesn’t bode well.

Posted by Wings_in_NYC on 06/07/16 at 09:53 PM ET

d ca's avatar

Miller getting a contract offer is good.
Helm getting a contract offer is very, very bad.

Miller can’t really be replaced by a cheaper guy from GR (the most likely candidate is Nosek but he is still waiver exempt for one more season and would carry a cap hit of $612.5k with the Wings anyways). With Miller the organization can minimize their risk and throw in a games played bonus.

Helm however has essentially be displaced by AA as that 3rd line center…and as an added bonus AA has shown he can finish around the net. Something that Helm hasn’t shown since the playoffs his 1st and 2nd season as a Wing.

Posted by d ca on 06/07/16 at 10:51 PM ET

lakeside mall's avatar

miller cheap is fair enough , but the helm ships sailed . thats 3 mil that could go towards a matt martin to bring in badly needed ruggedness / size

Posted by lakeside mall on 06/07/16 at 11:49 PM ET

Colin's avatar

He could be slotted in the $3.5 million to $4 million range.

Posted by Garth on 06/07/16 at 03:57 PM ET

Couldn’t be more right Garth.

Posted by Primis on 06/07/16 at 04:13 PM ET

If this happens, I’m buying a Capitals sweater.

Posted by Garth on 06/07/16 at 06:51 PM ET

Damn, Garth! Back at it with the right facts! Drew Miller IS the DRW penalty kill, and his recent injury proneness makes him a cheap option.

Helm should move on for the good of himself and Blashill, who would most likely ruin his career by continuing to deploy Helm in the top-6 when he clearly doesn’t belong there.

Posted by Colin from Ken Holland's new yacht, "Incompetence" on 06/08/16 at 08:27 AM ET

MurrayChadwick's avatar

I would have signed the Helm of 3 years ago without issue, the speedy center who forchecked like a mad dog and was one of few players in the NHL that was so fast on the forcheck he actually landed decent checks. That player is gone, now that speed is being funneled into an attempt to be offensive, and he’s not.

That said, on a smaller dollar small term deal that Helm would never accept, I would not mind Helm returning.  The wings have very little identity, they’re not big, they’re not snipers, they’re not good defensively, they play a lot of perimeter hockey, but speed could be their calling card, unfortunately our defense doesn’t have the chops to play uptempo hockey.

Posted by MurrayChadwick from Holland Hate Hyperbole Town (HHHT) on 06/08/16 at 09:13 AM ET