The Malik Report

Commodore computers’ modern maker wants to cash in on Mike Commodore’s number

Well now things get a little…corporate…in the Mike Commodore number-choosing saga. I have no problem with the concept of the Red Wings’ newest defenseman choosing to wear 64 if he wishes, but the person who makes the computer’s modern-retro analogue told the National Post’s Sean Fitz-Gerald that there’s quite a “synergy” developing:

“I can’t even think of words to describe how ecstatic we would be,” said Barry Altman, president and chief executive of Commodore USA.

The Commodore 64 was a ubiquitous presence in North American homes in the early 1980s, reportedly selling as many as 30 million units. Intense competition led to its downfall, and the original company declared bankruptcy in 1994. Altman resurrected the brand last year, re-launching the distinctive platform on April 5 after acquiring the trademarks. The new company – Commodore USA – built a new facility in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., and began shipping the units a little more than a week ago.

As far as Altman’s concerned—and this is kinda, let’s say corporate—the Puck Daddy pledge-o-thon and Commodore’s consideration regarding wearing said number is a tribute to, well, his business interests:

“This is really a grassroots adventure, where the fans have come together and realized that the name, the company, the franchise and our company all have reached a perfect storm,” Altman said. “If, in fact, he feels comfortable wearing that jersey – the No. 64 — obviously it would thrill everyone when he hit the ice.”

Altman said his company has no formal agreement with Commodore, and is not sure how the NHL would embrace the combination, business-wise.

“We are eagerly awaiting his decision,” he said. “We even envisioned supporting them in any way that’s comfortable for everybody – Commodore giveaways, Commodore nights, Commodore T-Shirts. Again, this is all up to the team, and all up to Mike. Whatever they decide, we’re going to roll with it.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Chet's avatar

so over this whole quote unquote story. not your fault, GM, but this is sort of like whatever dumbassed thing sarah palin did yesterday: just no longer worth discussing.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 07/13/11 at 06:36 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Well if this wasn’t a gimmick before, it is now.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 07/13/11 at 07:06 PM ET

Load"beating a dead horse”,8,1
Searching for beating a dead horse
Ready
RUN

Posted by DMN on 07/13/11 at 07:16 PM ET

Alanah McGinley's avatar

As a non-Wings fan, I think this was an important story. It completely changed my mind from thinking of the “Commodore 64” number as a ‘fun’ thing, if he wants to do it… to thinking of it in entirely commercial terms.

To be honest, I hadn’t realized that the Commodore brand had recently been resurrected—I thought the symbolism would just be in reference to a classic old 80s game.

But with Commodore being a current brand in the market, that’s totally different.  Now I think that Mike wearing this number will no longer be a whimsical thing.. it’ll seem more like an advertisement.  Which would be seriously uncool.

Posted by Alanah McGinley from British Columbia on 07/13/11 at 07:17 PM ET

Alanah I totally agree with you.  I supported this as a lover of old ‘80s computers and thought it would be fun but if it represents a current business then a lot of not so fun issues come into play.  What the heck is Commodore (the company) doing anyway, the desktop PC market has been shrinking for years and is already pretty cutthroat.  Are they just making the 64 again?  I really can’t imagine why anyone bothered resurrecting the name.

Posted by Devils In The Details on 07/13/11 at 07:26 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Now I’m against it.

I used to say that, if it was his own choice, no problem. Now there’s no friggin way to know what his reasons would be.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/13/11 at 08:58 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m still for Commodore choosing whatever he wants to in this situation.  I don’t care if he wants to shill for a company.  I don’t begrudge anybody else their endorsement deals.

If this bugs you, then just don’t buy computers from them.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/13/11 at 09:11 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

If this bugs you, then just don’t buy computers from them.

Acer all the way.

I just don’t like this idea. Of course, I won’t go crazy if it happens, but… well, I just won’t like it.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/13/11 at 09:17 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/13/11 at 07:17 PM ET

Unacceptable.

You’re supposed to be overreacting!

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 07/13/11 at 09:25 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

You’re supposed to be overreacting!

Hehe, sorry.

...wait a minute… Commodore 64 is a product, do we really want it on NHL jerseys? That’s basically sponsoring (even if he doesn’t get any money), his back will be a moving/playing/Cup-lifting billboard.

No, please.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/13/11 at 09:30 PM ET

Then maybe he shouldn’t be allowed to have his last name on his sweater…

How about “MIKE M”?

Posted by Garth on 07/13/11 at 10:08 PM ET

Guilherme's avatar

Then maybe he shouldn’t be allowed to have his last name on his sweater…

Yeah, he’s registered as “Michael Commodore Sixty-Four”.

Posted by Guilherme from Brazsil on 07/13/11 at 10:17 PM ET

I agree and now I don’t think the Wings or the NHL will allow it.  Who knew that company was still around?  I suspect no one involved—the Wings, Commodore himself, Puck Daddy 99.9% of fans, etc.

Posted by jkm2011 on 07/14/11 at 02:58 PM ET

red_wings_49's avatar

Load"beating a dead horse”,8,1
Searching for beating a dead horse
Ready
RUN

Oh lord did that give me a flashback to sitting at that blue screen.

All I can say is that this whole situation has turned into a giant $hit hole.  If its going to be advertising?  Don’t allow it.  The last thing I want to think of someone wearing the Winged Wheel using it as a product endorsement.

Bah.