The Malik Report

Colaicovo Talks After Learning He Is Being Bought Out

from Bill Roose of the Wings website,

As a newlywed, the last thing Carlo Colaiacovo thought he’d have to do this summer was shop for a new job.

“I got married over the weekend, so it was something that wasn’t even on my mind,” he said. “I’ve been hearing a lot of rumors over the last couple of weeks, but I really didn’t know what to believe because I haven’t heard from anybody of importance.”...

“I came into Detroit last summer because I knew I was a top-four guy that could play in a situation there,” said Colaiacovo, who collected one assist in six regular-season games. “I went through some difficulties last year that I would rather not talk about, but I still believe that I’m a guy who can play top-four on any team. I believe that I’ve proved that through my play, but they have some young guys who they relied upon real hard and some guys that they’re going to lean towards next year. So who knows where I would have fit in there?”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

WingedRider's avatar

I’m a guy who can play top-four on any team.

Nothing wrong with thinking positive, I guess?  Who knows these days what might happen?

He insinuated that there was other things going between him and the Wings, sort of like how Tootoo was used.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 07/03/13 at 07:32 PM ET

Tuba Guy's avatar

In not sure what you mean about Tootoo…

Posted by Tuba Guy from Royal Oak, MI on 07/03/13 at 07:49 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

In not sure what you mean about Tootoo

Tootoo’s ice time disappeared late in the season and playoffs.  I remember reading that Cola was a healthy scratch a lot after he got healthy and in shape.

I doubt he was happy with young D men being played.  A lot of fans wondered why Tootoo was sitting so much..

Just a comparison of sorts.

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 07/03/13 at 08:06 PM ET

Nothing wrong with thinking positive, I guess?

No doubt.

He was a very good third pairing guy and he’s a sub average second pairing guy.

I just hope Detroit ends up being right at the cap.  Otherwise, buying him out is stupid.  There has to be another roster shoe to drop.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 07/03/13 at 08:22 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

I’m not sure I would have used the word insinuated, but I get your point

The fact that Carlo was ready to play April 1 but only played the first 2 April games and 2 of the other 13 April regular season games could be linked to when DeKeyser signed March 29, and they held DeKeyser out until the third April game and stayed in the lineup, so maybe he’s implying the DeKeyser situation kept him out (or that he’s thinking he still could have played better than the bottom 4 D)?

Posted by Bugsy on 07/03/13 at 08:22 PM ET

Hockeytown Wax's avatar

The good thing about Coli is he’s one of those players that goes full tilt every shift.  Unfortunately, his body doesn’t like that and his style of play ends in injuries-a-plenty.  I lost count how many times the announcers on HNIC said something to the effect of “Toronto needs him to stay healthy to solidify their defence” and then 2 shifts later he slams into the boards and hurts himself.  You’d think by now he would know what not to do so he doesn’t get injured but, some players don’t think about that stuff ... they just go out and play hard and whatever happens, happens.

If someone signs him, it will be late towards the end of training camp to fill a roster spot in case of injury or because of injury.

When healthy he’s very difficult to play against but, he doesn’t stay healthy.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 07/03/13 at 08:48 PM ET

When healthy he’s very difficult to play against but, he doesn’t stay healthy.

Posted by Hockeytown Wax from West Bloomfield, Mi. on 07/03/13 at 08:48 PM ET

Aye.  I enjoyed watching him when he got the chance to play.  He reminded me a lot of Rouse, Macoun, Fetisov, and Ramsey.  Steady, steady defensive defensemen who were never afraid of the physical areas of defending the crease.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/03/13 at 08:54 PM ET

It’s nfortunate that he ended up being exactly as fragile as everyone in the world except Ken Holland knew he would be, because for the 8 minutes that he was healthy, he played really well.  If he was healthy for even half the season, an argument could probably be made to keep him, but I don’t see how you can sign someone who is useless in the regular season but may be able to play in the playoffs (and yes, this is as much about Dan Cleary as it is about Colaiacovo).

Posted by Garth on 07/03/13 at 09:13 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Really liked what little I got to see him play.  Loved the way he bossed those turds in front of the net.  Liked his attitude on the ice.  I’m amazed we couldn’t trade him for a bag of pucks at least.

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 07/03/13 at 09:28 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

(and yes, this is as much about Dan Cleary as it is about Colaiacovo).

Do you suppose the Wings could sign Cleary to a 2-way contract with a beer league until the playoffs?

Posted by Bugsy on 07/03/13 at 09:33 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Sept 2012: Holland
“He’s a veteran,” Holland said. “He’s played in the NHL. Smith is a rookie. Kindl has been around a bit but hasn’t really had the opportunity to establish himself.

“Carlo gives us another veteran defenseman for our team. He can play on power play. He’s got the ability to get the puck in the hands of our forwards. It’s another veteran.”
snip

He also has missed chunks of every one of his seasons because of injuries, maxing out at 73 games in 2008-09.

“He’s healthy,” Holland said. “We’re aware that he’s a guy that probably plays 60-65 games per year. It is what it is. We’re fully aware of what we’re signing.”

Best wishes Carlo, on your next stop.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/03/13 at 09:42 PM ET

Can’t fault his class, or skills.  Shame he couldn’t stay healthy.  Too bad that can’t be said for a certain someone with his ‘pec’ problem forcing things to stay awkward for the upcoming season.

Posted by maltby18 on 07/03/13 at 09:50 PM ET

I wouldn’t have bought him out as he’s going to be on IR most of the year, so the Wings would have saved the cap space anyway. The purpose of the compliance buyout is to rid yourself of a long-term deal or two; Carlo has a year left and a long injury history.

Posted by duguayian hair on 07/03/13 at 10:21 PM ET

I wouldn’t have bought him out as he’s going to be on IR most of the year

He’s healthy right now and short of guys with concussion histories you can’t simply assume he’ll be on the IR…

Posted by Garth on 07/03/13 at 10:29 PM ET

I respectfully disagree. I guess it depends on your definition of concussion history; he missed 34 games with a concussion.

For whatever reason, this guy is constantly injured; he’s not a gamer. Holland admitted as much when he signed him.

I don’t really care for his play, but I’d like Holland to think long term as far as cap space.

Posted by duguayian hair on 07/03/13 at 10:45 PM ET

Bugsy's avatar

And the kicking of the tires has begun:
Talking to Weiss, Ribeiro, Cullen, Ference, Zidlicky among free agents.

Posted by Bugsy on 07/04/13 at 12:09 AM ET

From the article ref’d by Bugsy:

They have seven defensemen after putting Carlo Colaiacovo on waivers Wednesday for the purpose of buying out his contract on Thursday, so they don’t need anybody else. But, they’re also looking ahead to 2014-15, when they might have one or two holes to plug, with Kyle Quincey and Jonathan Ericsson eligible for free agency.

Heh.  Is it possible to pay it forward with barf???  Why, Kahn(!)????

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 07/04/13 at 01:00 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

His wife, ” ah great, now I got to get a job to support us!.”
Kidding aside, I liked his play on the rare occasions he was on the ice healthy and recommend he signs with the KHL club for big tax free money to keep the new wife pleased.
Now make an offer for Edler of the Canucks please Kenny.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 07/04/13 at 06:45 AM ET

Bugsy's avatar

Now make an offer for Edler of the Canucks please Kenny.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 07/04/13 at 06:45 AM ET

They can try again, but I think it was TSN that said Edler might be staying now that the Canucks put another defenseman Ballard on waivers, and will buy Ballard out if not claimed:

Posted by Bugsy on 07/04/13 at 07:14 AM ET

Holland admitted as much when he signed him.

Holland said they know he usually plays 60-65 games.  This past season was by far his worst in terms of ime missed (relative to the length of the season), and again, he’s healthy right now so there’s no way to predict that he’s going to be out all year next season.

Posted by Garth on 07/04/13 at 07:30 AM ET

Primis's avatar

I fell bad for Carlo.  DET got rid of the wrong d-man.  Plain and simple.

Posted by Primis on 07/04/13 at 06:27 PM ET