The Malik Report

Coach Claude On Playing The Wings

from Joe Haggerty of CSNNE,

Julien was asked about holding too much respect for the Wings headed into their playoff series and he mentioned the “underdog card” he thinks Detroit is playing given some of their injuries.

“I don’t believe in never respecting your opponent," Julien said. "They’re in the playoffs because they’re a good team, and that’s the respect that you give them. But that doesn’t mean you play on your heels or at the end of your stick because you have respect for them. It just means you have to be ready. I think it’s pretty obvious to us that they want to play the underdog card, which is not surprising. We just have to go out there and not care about what they say.

“We’re not letting them fool us with that underdog card and that they don’t have the players. We’ll just go out there and play our game. I know he’s got players, and he’s got players that have done extremely well for him. The guy that right now is a question mark for them is [Henrik] Zetterberg, but other than that those young players have done a good job even if the [Dan] Clearys and the [Todd] Bertuzzis are question marks in the lineup. They’ve got a pretty good lineup with a lot of choices. That’s how I look at it.”

read on

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

awould's avatar

We’re not letting them fool us with that underdog card…

Damn, Babcock’s plan is foiled.

Posted by awould on 04/17/14 at 02:15 PM ET

bleep bloop's avatar

they want to play the underdog card…
We’re not letting them fool us with that underdog card and that they don’t have the players…I know he’s got players

He has it all figured it out. All the injuries were just a ruse to get into the eighth seed and be able to coast through as the underdog.

Posted by bleep bloop on 04/17/14 at 02:18 PM ET

Alan's avatar

If only life could be that easy, eh?

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 04/17/14 at 02:21 PM ET

HockeytownOverhaul's avatar

Not to mention probably the only team not picked by anyone but cox for an upset.  Sounds like the media are trying to sell the story not Babs.  Last I heard he wasn’t worried and knows we can skate with them.  Sounds more like Juliens trying to keep his guys from buying into the media stories more then he respects the Wings.  Last I heard he’d said they’d be fine.  Sounds like shit you say to the underdog to md

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/17/14 at 02:29 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Posted by HockeytownOverhaul on 04/17/14 at 02:29 PM ET

Agreed.  Burnside called the Bs a playoff ‘Fortress’ in picking them to win it all.  That’s a pretty good setup for failure.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/17/14 at 02:51 PM ET

TreKronor's avatar

I have seen a few places where some twit was suggesting the Wings have just been sandbagging the last couple years to sneak into the playoffs.

Because every team wants to sneak in and play a top seed, right.

Posted by TreKronor on 04/17/14 at 03:01 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Underdog card eh?  I seem to remember Getzlaugh talking that way last year.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 04/17/14 at 03:16 PM ET

hasn’t changed my mind. Wings in FOUR!

Posted by howeandhowe on 04/17/14 at 03:36 PM ET

EDJ's avatar

Babcock may play up the underdog role to the Red Wings’ players, to get them to get a sort of “nothing to lose” mentality. I think Julien will try to underplay it as much as possible to his team but I can see his players starting to sweat if the Red Wings take game two in Boston, and especially if they lose both games.

Posted by EDJ on 04/17/14 at 03:46 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

I thought I heard Babcock talking like he thought his guys were good enough to play ‘em, so that they wouldn’t worry about the mismatch.  I guess both angles can work.

Posted by MoreShoot on 04/17/14 at 04:17 PM ET

Rdwings28's avatar

Maybe sports illustrated will curse the b’s by putting chara on their cover

Posted by Rdwings28 on 04/17/14 at 06:30 PM ET

Figaro's avatar

It’s hard not to play the underdog card when that’s the only card everybody is giving you.

I say we can take ‘em.  Plus, really I’d like to see how Captain Hank is doing and we can’t do that until Round 2, so…

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 04/17/14 at 06:48 PM ET

Primis's avatar

hasn’t changed my mind. Wings in FOUR!

Posted by howeandhowe on 04/17/14 at 03:36 PM ET