The Malik Report

Coach Blashill On Justin Abdelkader

from Helene St. James of the Detroit Free Press,

“He came back from the World Cup last year and then the start wasn’t what he wanted, or what I wanted,” coach Jeff Blashill said Tuesday in advance of the evening game against the Dallas Stars at American Airlines Center. “And then he ended up getting minutes taken away from him.

“I just know for us to be a good team, he has got to be an important player on our team, and he is going to get those kinds of minutes. He is killing penalties, he is on the power play, and he is going to be a significant impact on our top three lines, wherever that might fall.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Why exactly do people keep saying last year was a “down” year?? Before playing with Pav and Zee he was an 8-12 goal scorer with minimal puck skills.

Then he gets used with Pav and Zee and the PP and scores 23 and 19 goals. Shocking right!

Pav leaves and he falls to 7 goals.

Hmm, maybe that’s what he is? A guy who scores 7 or 8 or 12 goals, with some physical play, but not much else. That’s always been my opinion…but Kenny, Blashill, and most of the media and fanbase keep calling him some big bound back candidate. Based on what??

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 05:41 PM ET

“And then he ended up getting minutes taken away from him.

Did he? We’re talking about the guy who ended up 5th on the team in TOI last year, right? Who was regularly getting 18-20 minutes a night even towards the ends of the season? That’s the guy who lost ice time due to poor play?

Good God, this guy is just so completely full of shit it’s incredible! Next thing you know he’s going to pretend that he didn’t give Riley Sheahan MORE time when he was producing absolutely nothing.

Posted by CharDeeMacDennis on 10/10/17 at 05:51 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Abby averaged 16:40 last year, which was indeed down from 17:55 and 18:26 the previous two years.

All my best,

Technically Correct Man

Luckily AA is back up to 17:44 atoi this year. smile

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 06:01 PM ET

——-And then he ended up getting minutes taken away from him
——Bizarre statement.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/10/17 at 06:31 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

And that’s why Blash isnt a very good coach.

Posted by Hootinani from the parade following Babs out of town on 10/10/17 at 06:34 PM ET

There is nobody more overrated in Detroit than Abby. I understand he is literally the one on the roster who can play physical hockey, but I do not see even that from him anymore. You literally can put any physical defensively responsible under $2 mil forward instead of him and nobody would miss Abby.

Posted by VPalmer on 10/10/17 at 06:51 PM ET

dreamsofhope's avatar

Not saying Abby is getting paid the correct amount, at all, however:

I think there’s something to be said for a physical presence who can score 20 goals with a good center. The issue might not be so much Abby as it is not having a star for him to play with. He is what he is.

Posted by dreamsofhope from Colorado on 10/10/17 at 06:55 PM ET

Luckily AA is back up to 17:44 atoi this year.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 06:01 PM ET

I’m really enjoying your comments.

Posted by howeandhowe from Seattle on 10/10/17 at 07:10 PM ET

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 05:41 PM ET

I agree, I never understood and still don’t get the hard-on for Abby. He’s a 3rd liner at best, that’s all he’s ever been. The ONLY reason he ever put up those points was due to Z and the time he spent on Dats line. I remember when he came up in ‘09 and the brass raving about him. I didn’t understand it. They say he’s physical but honestly my eyes say different, Helm is more physical. I’d Rather have Helm any day of the week over Abby.

Posted by benzanato on 10/10/17 at 07:17 PM ET

I mean even when he played for the world’s he still wasn’t very good and usually ends up on the 3rd or 4th line.

Posted by benzanato on 10/10/17 at 07:19 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Holy crap, did I say AA? lol.  Why did no one catch me?

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 07:26 PM ET

I caught it but figured I’d let you just role with it. Hahaha

Posted by benzanato on 10/10/17 at 07:31 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

If only AA earned 17:44 ATOI this year…can you imagine? This team would be better off.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 07:38 PM ET

I just don’t know how any sane GM could have given him that contract. At the time of signing he already knew Datsyuk wanted out. So he must have known this 20-goal scoring machine would more than likely revert back to a 8-12 goal scorer. And if Kenny was delusional, this is where having a strong dissenting voice in mgmt. is so important. Instead we have Draper and Maltby and Kenny’s teammates from the 1970’s nodding their heads in approval. Absolutely sickening that Abby is on the books for 7 years at this price. Especially after seeing “power forwards” like Clarkson, Horton, Malone fall off a cliff as they aged.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 08:01 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Yeah, somehow Kenny thought he was getting a steal on Abby. Because he pulls pianos or some crap. Has a moving job in the summer. Two men and a Truck?

(meant as humor) smile

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 08:14 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Most on this blog have figured out why Aby was at peak offensively but why why can’t KH and his boys understand this?

Aby seems like a good team mate and probably understands all this.

Mantha is tied for 2nd in scoring and gets his mins reduced and may get his PP time reduced.  Meanwhile Aby and for that matter Nyquist/Tatar haven’t done diddly squat and kept high ice time.

Not a fan of Blashill, here!

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/10/17 at 08:21 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Relevant: Abby moved up to line 2. Frk moved down. Less than 10 mins into the game

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 09:01 PM ET

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 09:01 PM ET

A couple of days ago I noted that Frk has had a couple of solid weeks of hockey and people have anointed him as a top 6 winger who “stole” AA’s spot.

I was labelled as being negative.

But I stand by that. I think Frk is an NHL player, but better suited as a guy getting 12-13 minutes of ice-time, with much of that on a PP. Whereas AA is a guy who I think can thrive as a true top 6 winger playing 16-18 minutes a night.

Again, I was mocked. Homers himself is one of the posters who has concluded that AA has “lost” his job to Frk. Hilarious conclusion after 2 games.

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 09:16 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

He lost his job because AA has not signed a contract. Please dont be divisive.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 09:26 PM ET

WingedRider's avatar

Posted by fatsavage on 10/10/17 at 09:16 PM ET

Frk has not taken a Job, AA has not lost his job, yet

Frk was told to get a monthly rental for a reason.

I hope they can play together with the Wings SOON ( right AA?)

Posted by WingedRider from Saskatoon, SK on 10/10/17 at 09:38 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

Besides, if we believe custance, AA was pegged for the third line. Maybe Frk stole Abby’s job on the 2nd line…for 2 whole games. raspberry

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 09:43 PM ET

ilovehomers's avatar

There goes Z making Abby look like a legit offensice threat haha.

Posted by ilovehomers on 10/10/17 at 09:46 PM ET

Chet's avatar

this is brutal. what nonsense.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 10/11/17 at 12:55 AM ET

Chet's avatar

i mean i’m still trying to wrap my head around this bizarre statement.

if you think your season’s success hinges on abby…you’re already f*cked. unreal.

what they should have done is move him after his two big years.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 10/11/17 at 01:06 AM ET

You know you’re in a good place when your team’s success is dependent on an overpaid 3rd liner….sweet baby Jesus.

Posted by Steve1306 on 10/11/17 at 07:51 AM ET