The Malik Report

Cleary Will Play With Pain

PK for GM.

via Craig Custance tweet,

Dan Cleary says he’s about 50 percent. Will play game 1 in Nashville.

via Ansar Khan tweet,

Cleary said he will play in opener. Will need pain killing injection before each game. Said he has tear in knee, bone on bone rubbing.

What do you think, is a Dan Cleary at 50% a better choice than any other player at 100%?

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

« Previous        < 1 2

calquake's avatar

For cryin’ out loud, save the leftwing touchy-feely bullshit for NPR…these are the fuchin’ playoffs!

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/09/12 at 05:43 PM ET

You’re right… what was I thinking?  Let’s just shoot the motherfucher and get it over with for cryin’ out loud.

Posted by calquake on 04/09/12 at 09:26 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

I haven’t been a fan of Cleary for a very….very long time, and this just makes it easier for me.  It’s pretty selfish of Cleary to insist on playing when he’s obviously been useless out there for the better part of the season, and now admitting he’s 50%.

C’mon, does Cleary want the Red Wings to win the series, or does he just want to be on the ice(possibly helping them lose)?  He has to go, and I mean that in a few ways.  Put him on the bench for the playoffs, then trade him to the Lightning for a draft pick or 2 in the offseason.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/09/12 at 10:36 PM ET

Because if the Wings lose the series, it wont be solely because of an injured Dan Cleary playing 14 minutes of game 1.

You’re right.  It will be a combination of things going wrong for them.  Some of which will be unavoidable.  Others, such as dressing a player who admits he is only at around 50% and has been ineffective all year, are fully and completely avoidable.

Posted by Garth on 04/09/12 at 11:46 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Posted by calquake on 04/09/12 at 08:26 PM ET

So…what is your opinion of Youth in Asia?

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/09/12 at 11:57 PM ET

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 04/09/12 at 05:43 PM ET

Absolutely right. This is the NHL playoffs, not Special Olympics. Cleary should seek professional medical help now, before the damage to his knee becomes irreparable.

Posted by Alex on 04/10/12 at 12:43 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Against any team, Cleary should sit out. Nyquist has played well, and deserves to be in the lineup. When Helm is healthy, you obviously need to have him in the lineup. Mursak is healthy and can skate, same with Emmerton.

Cleary has been great for this team since he made it out of camp coming out of the lockout. But he’s played a 110% style every game since and it makes sense that it has worn on his body. I’m not saying the guy is done—I absolutely think he still has a couple good years left as a Wing—but as it stands today I would think the best thing for the Wings now and for Cleary’s continued career would be to shut it down and get healthy.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 04/10/12 at 10:21 AM ET

Posted by calquake on 04/09/12 at 08:26 PM ET

Hyperbole and exaggeration: the refuge of scoundrels!

Posted by Red Winger from Work on 04/10/12 at 11:12 AM ET

Bradley97's avatar

So Brent Gilchrist was better than 50% when he played 3rd line left Wing in ‘98?

Cleary is not Steve Yzerman, but maybe he can be Gilchrist.

Posted by Bradley97 on 04/10/12 at 12:35 PM ET

Bradley97's avatar

Oh, and Gilchrist played left wing as part of the left-wing-lock. Cleary does not have those responsibilities as the the Wings put defense on the center in the current system.

Posted by Bradley97 on 04/10/12 at 12:38 PM ET

mrfluffy's avatar

Could or couldn’t Gilchrist skate after being shot up?

Now, ask that question about Cleary.

Posted by mrfluffy from A wide spot on I-90 in Montana on 04/10/12 at 12:40 PM ET

Bradley97's avatar

Could or couldn’t Gilchrist skate after being shot up?

Now, ask that question about Cleary.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/10/12 at 11:40 AM ET

Gilchrist fought for every stride on guts and adrenalin. Until we see how Cleary responds to a playoff game I cannot answer that question because I don’t know if Cleary can do what Gilchrist did yet. I’m only providing a more reasonable player comparison, and reminding everyone that it’s possible for a gutsy veteran grunt to contribute more than a kid in the right situation even at 50%.

Posted by Bradley97 on 04/10/12 at 01:19 PM ET

CaptainDennisPolonich's avatar

Gilchrist’s injury was different. It was a groin muscle that he had shot full of pain killers before each game. Cleary’s injury is reportedly bone on bone, which is more like Stevie’s in 2002. I don’t think that pain killing injections can touch it.

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from The Land of Fake Boobs and Real Nuts on 04/10/12 at 02:29 PM ET

scotts0's avatar

Could or couldn’t Gilchrist skate after being shot up?

Now, ask that question about Cleary.

Posted by mrfluffy from Long Beach on 04/10/12 at 11:40 AM ET

Posted by Bradley97 on 04/10/12 at 12:19 PM ET

Judging by how completely non-existant Cleary has been all season, I really can’t imagine he’s going to turn a corner and be a formidable playoff presence.  Who do you think he is, Franzen?

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/10/12 at 04:17 PM ET

Bradley97's avatar

Posted by CaptainDennisPolonich from Warm and sunny SoCal on 04/10/12 at 01:29 PM ET

I think Cleary has some sort of cyst growing out of the back of his knee that needs to be drained. I’m fairly certain the plan is for him to have surgery in the off-season to put an end to the problem.

Posted by scotts0 from New York on 04/10/12 at 03:17 PM ET

I don’t expect big numbers from him, but looking at the bottom lines, if Helm can go strong from game one Abdelkader likely moves back to fourth line center. At that point Cleary, who is skating through pain but still a savvy veteran, and Holmstrom, who hopefully still has a playoff run left in him, need to be split because both are too slow to play together. That leaves Miller and hopefully Nyquist to split opposite each veteran. For a game, and if they win the first one maybe two if Cleary does not prove a liability, I’d go with those six. If Cleary is a liability then I’d go with Conner over both Emmerton and Mursak. I know the consensus here is Conner over Cleary now, but if Cleary can elevate his game and fight through the pain to move well enough to help his line, his experience is invaluable as a calming presence and positive influence. That’s what Cleary brings to the table in the playoffs. Players don’t fight through injury in the regular season the way they do in the playoffs, that’s fact. But I’d keep him on a short leash just like Gilchrist in ‘98 (he did not play every game, that’s how Kocur got ice time).

Posted by Bradley97 on 04/11/12 at 07:41 AM ET