The Malik Report

Cleary Returning To Detroit

added 10:21am,

added 11:05am,

added 11:13am,

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 3 >       Next »

I hate you, Dan Cleary.

Posted by Garth on 09/12/13 at 10:20 AM ET

bdos's avatar

Just posted this on the other thread. I can’t believe this. We better not be losing Tatar for Clearly. As much as I like the guy, the Wings can’t afford to sacrifice youth for someone who is well past his prime.

Posted by bdos from Columbus, OH on 09/12/13 at 10:20 AM ET

I expect a “tatar for conditional 7th round pick” announcement soon. smile

Posted by lancer on 09/12/13 at 10:21 AM ET

Paul's avatar

Now all we need is for Holland to say I don’t know anything about this.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/12/13 at 10:25 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Un-f*cking-believable.

Actually, it isn’t. It’s totally believable.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 09/12/13 at 10:25 AM ET

Now all we need is for Holland to say I don’t know anything about this.

Fingers crossed.

Posted by Garth on 09/12/13 at 10:26 AM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

Please be a 6 year deal with a NTC….

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 09/12/13 at 10:30 AM ET

gotta be a trade already in the works?  or somebody(s) are already hurt & we don’t know yet?

...maybe he’s just signing on as a try-out?

Posted by vfsvfl on 09/12/13 at 10:35 AM ET

Son of Flying Pig's avatar

Interesting that people jump to “this means trade Tatar” as a way to hate this news.  So silly…

Posted by Son of Flying Pig on 09/12/13 at 10:46 AM ET

Nathan's avatar

Why do so many Wings fans hate Dan Cleary all of a sudden?

Can we at least wait and see what the contract looks like, and which player(s) end up as the casualties of this re-signing before we judge this deal? Cleary is still a really useful NHL player that can play in all situations.

And honestly, if the Wings re-sign Cleary and flip Tatar for a comparably rated D prospect that still has AHL options… I’d be into that. That would be a good example of trading from an area of organizational strength (smaller, skilled forwards) to improve an organizational weakness (lack of D prospects with higher-end potential), all the while making the forward corps for the immediate couple of seasons better (yes, barring injury, which can happen to any player at any time, I think Dan Cleary will be a more valuable forward to the Wings over the next 2 seasons than at least 6 or 7 of the guys that we currently have under contract.

Look, if they signed him for anything at or above the rumored Philly deal, I will be right back in the comments poo-pooing the signing. And if the solution to the forward logjam before the start of the regular season is something like using Nyquist’s remaining option or trading Tatar for under value, I will be right back here saying I was wrong. But c’mon, let’s at least let this full story play out.

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/12/13 at 10:48 AM ET

Well, there are myriad reasons to hate this news, the possibility of someone being traded, or of a better player spending a-f*cking-NOTHER year in Grand Rapids are only two of them.

Posted by Garth on 09/12/13 at 10:48 AM ET

Maybe Samuelsson got run over by the team bus, “accidently”

Posted by George0211 on 09/12/13 at 10:48 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Probably means Wings are not planning on having Helm on the roster for some time.

Posted by calquake on 09/12/13 at 10:49 AM ET

woodwardave's avatar

It would be great if he was just signing a PTO, but I doubt it and here’s why:
Cleary made suuuch a big stink that he wasn’t going to show up to Traverse City without a deal, and then made such big noise about the deal with Philly that wasn’t…

seriously, just because he has Helene St. James in his pocket, why is everyone accepting Cleary’s word as gospel?

In fantasyland, perhaps Danny, er Dan, er Daniel had the three year, 8.25 million dollar deal locked up. Paul Holmgren doesn’t seem to think so, or perhaps more accurately it was a handshake deal that was predicated on Cleary shutting up until after his PTO with Philly, who would probably have been subject to discipline from little Gary B for circumventing the salary cap rules if Holmgren admitted that the deal was in place before his club was cap compliant.

Definitely sounds like a jilted girlfriend scenario…I respect what Cleary did for the Wings in the past, but it was IN THE PAST. The moment he turned down the more-than-fair $2 million a season over three years, Holland moved on and I wish there was no backsliding or reconsidering that decision.

But then, the Wings have a bad habit of screwing their promising youngsters out of playing time in favor of showing “loyalty” to their aging vets (see Chelios, Chris) and I sincerely hope it doesn’t cost them Jurco or Tatar.

In a just world, Clears gets the league minimum to stay with the Wings, and remembers that Holland (not Cleary’s agent) is the boss, and when you tell your boss thanks but no thanks to a contract, you have to deal with the consequences…regardless of if Babs wants him around again.

Posted by woodwardave on 09/12/13 at 10:50 AM ET

But Helm is a third line centre and Cleary is a washed up winger, I don’t see the correlation.

Posted by Garth on 09/12/13 at 10:50 AM ET

redxblack's avatar

Why do so many Wings fans hate Dan Cleary all of a sudden?

Because we watched him “play” in the truncated season last year. He was okay in the playoffs, but stunk out loud all through the regular season.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 09/12/13 at 10:53 AM ET

You ain’t seen nothing yet.  Cleary’s going to be Fan Enemy #1b (just behind Sammy) this year, and he’s going to get blamed for the price of gas going up.

Anyway, Emmerton and either Eaves or Tootoo are likely gone, but the way every move is painted is the vet against the commentors favorite young player.

I think Holland will overpay for Cleary a bit, thinking 3 years at 2.25-2.5 per with an NTC, which is a year too long and a half a mil too much.

Coincidentally, that’s exactly how much and how long he overpaid for Cleary the last time.

Still, if Helm’s going to be MIA for most of another year (a strong possibility), Cleary could be a stabilizing force in the bottom 6.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/12/13 at 10:53 AM ET

Why do so many Wings fans hate Dan Cleary all of a sudden?

Because if it wasn’t for him Tatar or Nyquist or Andersson or Abdelkader or whoever else would have been AWESOME this year.  Now they aren’t going to get any IT.

Of course, this presumes any of those guys were actually going to be awesome, but that’s the point.  Cleary’s mere presence on the roster reduced their ability to play.

Posted by HockeyinHD on 09/12/13 at 10:55 AM ET

Are you F’ing kidding me, Holland?!? Let’s try and break this down, shall we?

As of right now, the Wings are 2 players over the 23-man limit (16 forwards where they can carry only 14), so if this is true, the Wings now need to move not 2, but 3 (THREE) players. For sake of discussion, let’s assume Helmer will start on LTIR (which will give the wings temporarily cap relief in the amount of 2.8 or w/e he makes). That still leaves 2 players that need to be moved.

After looking at the initial TC rosters, it looks as if Tatar (who is on a line with Jurco and Sheahan; players that will play this season in GR), so right off the bat it seems as if Tatar is on the outside looking in for the beginning of the 13-14 season (press box bound because he is no longer waiver exempt, and a team will most certainly claim the AHL playoff MVP). If Holland actually signs Cleary to a 2 or 3 year deal north of 2 million at the expense of our younger players, he has lost it. I mean, I honestly don’t understand this AT ALL.

Cleary did well last year, yes, but the dude is 34 and well past his prime. Also, does anyone remember a game @ Vancounver last year where Cleary basically fell on a breakaway?!? I can’t take this. It’s honestly mind-boggling that the Wings would do this. We have enough veterans right now. Let our younger players play. Tatar and Nyquist have earned their right to prove themselves in the NHL (Tatar spent 4 years in GR for crying out loud).

Cleary, go home you drunk sailor. We don’t want you anymore.

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 09/12/13 at 10:56 AM ET

Son of Flying Pig's avatar

Now suddenly Dan Cleary went from being one of the Red Wings most effective forward in the playoffs to just “okay.”  Fascinating.

Im fine if he stinks during the regular season if he’ll be a playoff force again.  I imagine that’s why Mike Babcock and Kenny Holland like him?  Maybe.

Posted by Son of Flying Pig on 09/12/13 at 10:58 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

Why do so many Wings fans hate Dan Cleary all of a sudden?

Posted by Nathan from the scoresheet! on 09/12/13 at 10:48 AM ET

I don’t hate Dan Cleary. I think he’s an awesome guy.

But the Wings are finally, after all these years, in a position to start getting meaningful minutes out of talented young players they’ve developed. Cleary’s signing likely means one of Tatar or Nyquist will not be getting the minutes they’ve proven they deserve.

I don’t know. Maybe I’m wrong. I haven’t seen the contract yet and we don’t know who’s going to get traded or waived.

I’ll withhold final judgment. If Kenny can work a way to get Cleary in, at a reasonable price, without sacrificing the talents of some of the younger guys, OK then. Good move.

I think CLeary will be a benefit to the team, but that has to be tempered with the fact that, for 95% of the season last year, he literally looked like his career was over.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 09/12/13 at 11:00 AM ET

Now Babcock can split Dats and Z up. Weiss to the third line with Sammy and Bert.. Cleary with Dats and Abby.

Just kidding…..

I think….

Posted by lancer on 09/12/13 at 11:00 AM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

So people should really stop complaining about Franzen too?  Or anyone who is having an underwhelming year because we can make them promise to be a playoff force?

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 09/12/13 at 11:00 AM ET

MOWingsfan19's avatar

Yep.

Posted by MOWingsfan19 from I really like our team on 09/12/13 at 11:05 AM ET

Son of Flying Pig's avatar

If the Red Wings get to the playoffs, I don’t really care who disappointing during the regular season if they go all Fedorov in the playoffs.

Remember when people complained that Fedorov never played the entire regular season like he did in the playoffs?  Well, they did.  And they were silly.

Posted by Son of Flying Pig on 09/12/13 at 11:06 AM ET

Paul's avatar

It is official, Wings tweet one year deal for Cleary, added to blog post.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/12/13 at 11:07 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

Cleary did suck during the RS last year, and it was only 48 games!  Maybe Holland will force him to take a two-way contract.

Posted by MoreShoot on 09/12/13 at 11:07 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

One year?

Wow. I take back everything I said. I like this deal.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 09/12/13 at 11:08 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

I was thinking he’d get 3 for sure.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 09/12/13 at 11:09 AM ET

Paul's avatar

One year works fine, can then go for 35+ deal with incentives.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/12/13 at 11:09 AM ET

OK so 1 year. I still don’t like it because I don’t like Cleary. Last year, him playing hockey looked like an elementary student taking an exam on rocket science. The guy is past his prime.

But now what happens? We now have to move 3 players before October 2nd.

Emmerton is insurance for Helm so he’s not going any where.

Eaves, Sammy and Bert’s contracts expire after the 13-14 season, w/ the latter 2 having NTC’s.

Tatar is NOT waiver exempt, but Nyquist is.

Will Holland honestly stash Nyquist in GR again to make room for Lieutenant Dan?

If he does, he has officially lost it.

Posted by ZandPasha11 on 09/12/13 at 11:12 AM ET

1 year deal, not bad, I wonder how much.
Also, who are we getting rid of? Nyquist and DeKyser can be sent down to Grand Rapids, but I sure hope not.

Posted by George0211 on 09/12/13 at 11:13 AM ET

Paul's avatar

$1.75M

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 09/12/13 at 11:14 AM ET

Mandingo's avatar

$1.75 million

No problem. Good signing.

Posted by Mandingo from The Garage on 09/12/13 at 11:14 AM ET

Son of Flying Pig's avatar

$1.75M - now who wants to keep complaining?

Posted by Son of Flying Pig on 09/12/13 at 11:14 AM ET

$1.75M - now who wants to keep complaining?

I do because there’s STILL NO ROOM.

See you next year, Goose.

Posted by Garth on 09/12/13 at 11:15 AM ET

$1.75M - now who wants to keep complaining?

Posted by Son of Flying Pig on 09/12/13 at 11:14 AM ET

Complaining will depend on who has to be kicked off the roster now.

Posted by George0211 on 09/12/13 at 11:16 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

$1.75M - now who wants to keep complaining?

Ok Now three forwards and roughly $2.3M over cap.

Posted by MoreShoot on 09/12/13 at 11:17 AM ET

I’m happy he is staying with the organization, not sure how they pulled it off.  He was one of the most effective players in the playoffs last year.  A good guy, a good leader for the up and coming young crop.  Not sure how many vocal guys the wings have on the team.  That makes a big difference for continuity’s sake.  I hope we can make some room.  Probably one more year for Gus in GR.  Win us another Calder.

Posted by RJ on 09/12/13 at 11:17 AM ET

not sure how they pulled it off.

They pulled it off by not having any clue how they’re going to get under the roster limit.

Posted by Garth on 09/12/13 at 11:18 AM ET