The Malik Report

Christopher Ilitch - Power Player

John Shannof of Sportsnet lists his Power 25 and Christopher Ilitch is listed as number 7...

With the passing of the great Mike Ilitch, his son, Chris, has assumed a larger role within the Red Wings organization. And while the on-ice product is still finding its way, the inaugural season at Little Caesars Arena can only be described as spectacular.

Top of Ilitch’s to-do list has to be deciding whether or not to renew Ken Holland’s contract. If he chooses not to bring the GM back, Ilitch has to ensure any new hire has the passion and savvy Holland has shown since his first days on the job for the Wings in the 1980s.

Returning the club to championship form, one befitting such a glorious new rink, has to keep Ilitch up at night.

the rest of the list...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

If he chooses not to bring the GM back,

To this moment, I still feel it’s totally KH decision

Posted by VPalmer on 01/25/18 at 02:02 PM ET

Tripwire32's avatar

I don’t see that this is true. I think it is fantasy dreamt up by the writer. He’s fabricating an idealized fantasy of ambitions of the son; as though he were some sort of super-fan. So far, the evidence points that the new blood is more interested the revenues generated from the business of entertainment than the pursuit of excellence in sport.

Posted by Tripwire32 from Kay He Mar Heart on 01/25/18 at 03:04 PM ET

one befitting such a glorious new rink

I feel one of the reasons we are not playing well at home because of those empty seats, at least from TV many home games look like preseason games to me in terms of fans involvement.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/25/18 at 03:19 PM ET

Primis's avatar

If he chooses not to bring the GM back,

It’s this.  It really is.  It’s not even about who the replacement would be.

The sheer fact if he doesn’t renew Kenny’s contract or not will spell things all out.

If he renews Kenny, fans can feel free to ignore the tea for five years or so because literally all is lost.*
If he doesn’t renew Holland…. regardless of who the replacement is, he will at least have TRIED to address and fix things (however well or poorly done it is).

* = Contingent on the upcoming trade deadline, I guess.  Say Kenny sells hard, and gets a real haul back for a number of players… I might offer that there’s hope yet with Kenny.  I believe in my heart of hearts though Kenny just doesn’t have the stomach/balls for this scenario.  So if I’m wrong and he does, I would be inclined to reconsider his future.

Posted by Primis on 01/25/18 at 04:37 PM ET

alfrules's avatar

Illitch buys Cleveland Cavs
Gilbert buys Detroit Red Wings
Teams stay in prospective Cities

Posted by alfrules on 01/25/18 at 04:46 PM ET

I do not think so. KH might be able to get good returns for pending UFAs again, but after he gave 4 crazy contracts in a row to bottom 6 forwards, I just do not think KH knows how to build a winning team anymore. He also does not sound passionate about the team, does not act passionate and sounds tired. BUT, if I am the owner of the Red Wings and KH comes to me with “I’ve been with you for 25 years, I am still very passionate about the team and I have a plan for the next 1-3-5 years”, of course I will listen to the plan. I would definitely ask “what were you thinking” questions about the recent contracts and I would ask my the draft priority was on size when the whole league is going for speed and skill. If I am satisfied with all the answers, I would definitely consider KH for GM position because of loyalty, but I would certainly interview others as well. What scares me is that Chris Ilitch does not understand hockey well enough to know what questions to ask to potential GMs and does not have enough knowledge to evaluate the answers.

Posted by VPalmer on 01/25/18 at 05:11 PM ET