The Malik Report

Chicago’s the ‘nation’s’ TV team?

You may take the Chicago Tribune's Ed Sherman's analysis of the Chicago Blackhawks' national TV footprint for what you will:

The Blackhawks are as close to a national team as any in the NHL. Look no further than NBC. The network is riding the Hawks hard during the playoffs. The reason is simple: Ratings.

The Hawks' local numbers from the nation's No. 3 market are having a huge impact on the overall national rating for their games on NBC and NBC Sports Network. In Chicago, an average of nearly 300,000 viewers tuned in for Game 3 on NBC Sports Network Monday night. That's nearly 20 percent of the estimated 1.6 million viewers who tuned in across the country.

Let's say there are many Hawks fans within the executive offices at NBC Sports.

"A big market like Chicago, which is as hot a market as you can have in terms of TV ratings, makes a difference," said Sam Flood, NBC Sports' executive producer. "Your ratings are going to be dramatically different for Ottawa-Edmonton than if you have Chicago, Boston or Detroit playing. Boston has that kind of reach, but it isn't as big a market as Chicago. The same with Pittsburgh, Detroit (which do big local ratings). The Rangers have it to some degree, but sports viewership in New York is somewhat splintered. Chicago is a huge market with star power."

Flood noted that there are many transplanted Chicagoans "who follow the team with a passion." And playing in the Western Division extends the Hawks' reach into those markets compared to teams in the East.

"The Hawks are consumed across the country, which is what you want," Flood said.

The Hawks' appeal is seen in Flood's choice of announcers for the series: The No. 1 line of Mike Emrick, Ed Olcyzk and Pierre McGuire. In virtually every other scenario, they would be assigned to Bruins-Rangers in the East.

"It was Chicago one, Detroit two," Flood said of his reasons. "(With all the games in the Eastern and Central time zones), we thought it was important to have them on this series."

Sherman continues, and I know the ratings in Detroit have been down this season, but...Well, I guess all roads lead to the bigger city.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Bugsy's avatar

The question in my mind is how do those numbers compare to the Red Wings back to back Cup Finals years last 5 years ago?

Posted by Bugsy on 05/22/13 at 12:56 AM ET

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/22/13 at 01:45 AM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

blah blah blah

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 05/22/13 at 02:04 AM ET

Alan's avatar

I… don’t know what kinda stuff these guys are smoking, but it’s really unprofessional for them to bogart that stuff. Pass that thing over here!

Posted by Alan from Atlanta on 05/22/13 at 03:43 AM ET

Thag's avatar

Chicago has a hockey team?

Posted by Thag from DC on 05/22/13 at 05:21 AM ET

Sunday's avatar

“The Hawks are consumed across the country, which is what you want,” Flood said.

Well, they’re being consumed in Detroit, anyway.

Posted by Sunday from somewhere else on 05/22/13 at 06:10 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Lots and lots of locker room material for the Wings. Keep it up, Shitcago media

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/22/13 at 07:08 AM ET

Primis's avatar

Well, they’re being consumed in Detroit, anyway.

Posted by Sunday from somewhere else on 05/22/13 at 07:10 AM ET

*applause*

Wait, so because 20% of the nationwide audience that tuned in was from Chicago…. that means Chicago is the nation’s team?  If that were the case, wouldn’t the metro Chicago-contributed percentage be much, much lower?

Oh right, then we’re arguing math with Chicago people And then that’s just not a fair fight.

Posted by Primis on 05/22/13 at 07:21 AM ET

Primis's avatar

By the way, curious that he doesn’t compare CHI’s numbers to anyone else’s.  Especially since CHI usually gets creamed by not only DET but also PIT in local ratings.

Actually not curious in the least, since I’m sure the numbers wouldn’t support the story then.

Posted by Primis on 05/22/13 at 07:33 AM ET

Slumpy's avatar

The Hawks’ appeal is seen in Flood’s choice of announcers for the series: The No. 1 line of Mike Emrick, Ed Olcyzk and Pierre McGuire

I would call this a number 2 line as in crap compared to to the broadcast of CBC which I watch living near the Canadian border.
I swear Pierre was in that Seinfeld episode where he played a “close talker” that annoyed Jerry.
Enzo the former hawk giggling like a school girl at Emrick’s lame jokes ain’t no picnic either.

Did Sam Flood hire that twerp named Ian that does the intermission reports for NHL games?
He is on a role for hiring number two’s.

Posted by Slumpy from Detroit on 05/22/13 at 09:05 AM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’d love to have them prove that with, say, a shot of the crowd at a Coyotes home game showing all of the Hawks jerseys in the crowd. I’d wait while they dig that up, but I’m already older than Chelios so I probably don’t have enough time left to wait that long.

Excellent observation there. But, with that image in my head, I’m now going to be laughing too hard to listen to Douche Canoe do his interviews. Oh, wait. Never mind.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 05/22/13 at 10:51 AM ET

awould's avatar

I guess that’s why the Red Wings fans fill everyone else’s arenas always. Have fun with no cash cow, Western Conference.

Posted by awould on 05/22/13 at 11:15 AM ET

wingsluver4ever's avatar

With RW move to east next season, it will be very interesting to see western team attendance…like Yotes…which is generally mostly RW red.

Posted by wingsluver4ever on 05/22/13 at 12:39 PM ET