The Malik Report

Chicago Tribune’s McNeil expects Hawks to ‘hammer’ the Wings

The Chicago Tribune's Dan McNeil may subscribe to the "Blackhawks in square root of two!" theory:

So this is the dreamy, second-round match up that was to titillate the senses? The type of grudge match that was to rekindle all the deep-seeded ill feelings Chicagoans and Detroiters had for each other in the days of the old Norris Division?

Or not.

The hammer and the nail have no rivalry. The nail may not like the hammer, but it's disdain for it does not constitute a rivalry because the hammer barely acknowledges the nail's existence.

Right now the Blackhawks are the hammer and the Red Wings are the nail. That will not change during the duration of these Western Conference semifinals.

He continues at length and concludes with the following:

Meantime, enjoy these not-so-spicy Wings, who are nothing more than an annoying impediment that won't take long to remove.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Red Winger's avatar

If anyone is still not convinced that the decades-old ownership the Red Wings have had over the Hawks has not caused some of their followers and fans to slip into a mental state bordering on insanity, I give you the following:

The hammer and the nail have no rivalry. The nail may not like the hammer, but it’s disdain for it does not constitute a rivalry because the hammer barely acknowledges the nail’s existence.

Right now the Blackhawks are the hammer and the Red Wings are the nail.

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/17/13 at 09:21 AM ET

wedge56's avatar

And that quote will appear on the Wings’ bulletin board in 3—2—...

Posted by wedge56 on 05/17/13 at 09:26 AM ET

wedge56 beat me too it. This is the type of bulletin board fodder that can change a series. I really hope this is on the Wings’ bulletin board and it helps light a fire under their asses.

Posted by beardChamp on 05/17/13 at 09:35 AM ET

Red Winger's avatar

Man, I hope Chief comments on this meandering BS of an article on the LB tomorrow

Posted by Red Winger from Sault Ste Marie on 05/17/13 at 09:40 AM ET

Zqto's avatar

Posted by Zqto on 05/17/13 at 09:46 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

i guess this explains why Sharp shook his fist in excitement when he scored his empty netter.  He was just invoking ‘the hammer’

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/17/13 at 10:02 AM ET

RWBill's avatar

i’m not sure professional hockey players are any more affected by anything other than what they experience and feel on the ice when engaged shoulder to shoulder and face to face across from another player.  They already know better than anyone whether they are challenging the other player or not, if they are being disrespected by the team that beats them down, or are putting up a worthy fight.

I don’t think a player that watches Oduya skate right around them on the ice will care a rip about what some sportswriter puts on paper or the internet.  Hockey players probably more than any other pro athlete base their worth on earning the respect of other players.  The Wings know better than anyone watching from the stands or on TV that they were bowled over in the last half of the game and unable to even possess the puck long enough to get it past center ice very often.

If they are not already motivated enough to change the dynamic of last game then some random piece of trash will not affect them.

Posted by RWBill from Brush Street cruising with Super Creepy Rob Lowe. on 05/17/13 at 10:11 AM ET

I thought he would have gone with a tomahawk and scalp reference but since its Chicago I understand the communist hammer reference. It’s more consistent with how the city is run.

Posted by SlimChance on 05/17/13 at 10:12 AM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

yeah, and the Chicago Tribune is leading the revolution.

Posted by MoreShoot on 05/17/13 at 10:29 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Right now the Blackhawks are the hammer and the Red Wings are the nail.

Sure, sure…. that’s why Hawks fans scream “Detroit Sucks” all game long.  Because, you know, they’re barely acknowledging our existence.  Hahahahaha. smirk

Posted by calquake on 05/17/13 at 10:44 AM ET

Seeing Detroit is 0-4-4 in the last 8 against the hawks and out scored 25-10 in those 8 games is their any debate the shift in power

Posted by cberth on 05/17/13 at 10:48 AM ET

Square root of 2 is 1.4. Just saying.

Posted by teldar on 05/17/13 at 10:51 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

So the series will end sometime around the 5-minute mark of the 2nd period on Saturday then, right?

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/17/13 at 10:59 AM ET

calquake's avatar

And Detroit will be assessed a penalty for “Too Many Men in the Handshake Line”.

Posted by calquake on 05/17/13 at 11:01 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

Meh….

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 05/17/13 at 11:16 AM ET

PaulinMiamiBeach's avatar

Square root of 2 is 1.4.

no it’s not.  square root of 1.96 is 1.4

that’s kind of the thing…the square root of 2 is an irrational number, which is the point to using it in this context.

welcome to the blog…

Posted by PaulinMiamiBeach on 05/17/13 at 12:01 PM ET

Ya Chicago’s the “hammer” alright.  Can’t fault these Chicago folks for gloating.  They’ve waited through years and years of being the “nail” themselves.

I mean, they are also an Original Six team but have…4 Stanley Cup wins? To Detroit’s 11? Boohoo…Detroit is still the model of consistency in the NHL and the price for that?

No top 10 draft picks in how many decades?? Let’s see where the Hawks would be without any top 10 draft picks….

Posted by cochy on 05/17/13 at 12:11 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I hope that guy chokes on the toilet rag that it is.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/17/13 at 12:25 PM ET

NIVO's avatar

I wouldnt wipe my dogs ass with it.

And I dont have a dog.

Posted by NIVO from underpants gnome village on 05/17/13 at 12:27 PM ET

Primis's avatar

That’s funny, it was a “rivalry” for several decades supposedly while Chicago was clearly the world’s biggest nail…

Said it before, and I’ll continue repeating it:  The Hawks are outright OBSESSED with Wings and have been for a number of years.
To the Wings though, the Hawks are just another team.

That’s why DET going East is the best thing for both parties.

Posted by Primis on 05/17/13 at 12:32 PM ET

Wings first round draft picks since, well, ever.

It is a compelling look.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/17/13 at 12:39 PM ET

As opposed to Cawks’ first round picks.

Cawks suffer cock-envy like you wouldn’t believe.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/17/13 at 12:44 PM ET

Let’s compare 5-7th round picks while we’re at it.

Posted by maltby18 on 05/17/13 at 01:48 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Why is it always someone in the Chicago press who takes it that extra level?

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/17/13 at 02:01 PM ET

They must still be bent out of shape about getting stomped in the Winter Classic in front of home fans.  I can understand, I guess. Failure like that must be hard to swallow. Those poor little guys.

Posted by SlimChance on 05/17/13 at 02:11 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by SlimChance on 05/17/13 at 11:12 AM ET

As a real leftist (i.e. not a Democrat/America’s center-right party), I can tell you, there aren’t any commies running the city of Chicago.

Also, I realize I just fed the fire myself…. but, in the future can we avoid political discussion unless it’s apropos to the discussion at hand?  I always enjoy a debate, but a lot of others around here don’t.  We should respect that.

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/17/13 at 02:16 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Give Pizza a Chance!

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/17/13 at 02:26 PM ET

CaptNorris5's avatar

11>4

Fin.

Posted by CaptNorris5 from The Winged Wheel, stuck in Chicago on 05/17/13 at 02:27 PM ET

It took the Cawks 85 years (or whatever) to win their fourth Cup.

Cock.Envy.

Posted by SYF from Alana Blanchard's Bikinis and Surfboards on 05/17/13 at 02:59 PM ET

I’m sorry.  When trolling I should be more aware of the feelings of others.  I was using commie as a general label for overreaching, anti-freedom, big gov’t decision makers.  My bad.  It won’t happen again.

Posted by SlimChance on 05/17/13 at 05:10 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Don’t worry about it. When we say “communists” we tend to refer to totalitarian regimes who’ve cloaked themselves under the supposed auspices of socialist or communist ideologies (see: just about everywhere named the “Democratic Republic” or the “People’s Republic” of X is anything but free).

That, and Chicago’s nuts. I think you could call the political machines in Chicago both communists, socialists, totalitarians, super-liberal, uber-conservative and plain old corrupt all at the same time. Their levels of corruption make the stuff going down at City Council meetings in Detroit, the Wayne County offices and Metro Airport all look like a kid trying to convince his friend that there are three pennies in a nickel.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/17/13 at 06:21 PM ET

shanetx's avatar

There are three pennies in a nickel.

Posted by shanetx from Floydada, Texas on 05/17/13 at 07:46 PM ET

bezukov's avatar

Posted by SlimChance on 05/17/13 at 06:10 PM ET

I appreciate you saying that brother.  Cheers!

Posted by bezukov from the kids are alright. on 05/18/13 at 12:22 PM ET