The Malik Report

Chairman Mao shouldn’t ruin a good day? Damn straight, Cheli. Damn straight.

I hadn't checked any hockey news between pulling out of the driveway in South Lyon and the Burger King in Grayling, Michigan, mostly because I was pretty damn sure that Chris Chelios and Brendan Shanahan would indeed be named to the Hockey Hall of Fame's 2013 induction class today.

After wolfing down a hurried burger in Grayling, I checked my email, and the NHL's press release was there, but there was no transcript of the conference call that was supposed to go down. So I checked Twitter briefly to find out what was said, and I stumbled upon this gem from Greg "Puck Daddy" Wyshynski:

Question: Way back in the that first lockout, you became well known for a quote about Gary Bettman. I know that you apologized right away. What was it like when you finally saw him, and do you guys joke about it to this day?

CHELIOS: “Let’s not mention that name on this call. This is a good day.”

Wyshynski goes into the details of Chelios's threatening comments made toward Bettman during both lockouts, but you already know how I feel about that little weasel, and those of you who remember my MLive days or even my time as Homersonic on Wings message boards may remember that I supported Chelios's cause when he, Trent Klatt and Dwayne Roloson were blacklisted for their "dissdent" status regarding Ted Saskin's installation as a league puppet as opposed to the chairman of a functioning NHLPA during the second lockout...

And given that I am absolutely certain that Chris Chelios and Kris Draper were grinding down their teeth during this past season's lockout as they happen to be Red Wings employees (you can imagine how well pro-player comments made by formerly active members of the NHLPA who now work for the owners locking players out would go down)...

If Chelios comes up to Traverse City for the summer development camp, at some point, I'm just going to have to come up to him and shake his hand to congratulate him on his Hall of Fame status and to thank him for never letting certain grudges go.

Thank you, Cheli, thank you. Because the best answer to that utterly ridiculously stupid question is to give the little rat bastard a verbal middle finger. *#$%@&' a, Cheli, *#$%@&' a.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

cowboycoffee's avatar

awesome

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 07/09/13 at 09:38 PM ET

DocF's avatar

I am so glad that he put the Evil Garden Gnome in his place.  That man has tried very hard to destroy professional hockey.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 07/09/13 at 09:53 PM ET

OlderThanChelios's avatar

I’m just going to have to come up to him and shake his hand to congratulate him on his Hall of Fame status and to thank him for never letting certain grudges go.

Well, if you do, you can tell him that there are a legion of Wings fans who hold that same sentiment.

Of all the Wings fans who hated Cheli when he first arrived in Detroit, I doubt there are even a handful left who wouldn’t shake his hand or buy him a beer if they had a chance. He’s a heart and soul guy – and an inspiration to every Wings defenseman who has followed him.

Posted by OlderThanChelios from Grand Rapids, MI on 07/09/13 at 11:31 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

People forget that before there was Claude Lemieux, there was Chris Chelios.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/09/13 at 11:36 PM ET

Say what you will about Bettman…and I loathe the man for depriving me of more hockey games than I’ve seen in person in my life, but he’s made a @#$%load of money for the owners.  Which is “technically” his job, BUT…

None of it has been for the “good of the game”.

The quest for the almighty dollar has ruined sports.

Posted by zombietroy on 07/09/13 at 11:42 PM ET

guilty

Posted by SlimChance on 07/10/13 at 12:13 AM ET

Vladimir16's avatar

People forget that before there was Claude Lemieux, there was Chris Chelios.
Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 07/09/13 at 11:36 PM ET

Oh, not me, I hated that little SOB. That is until he put on the Winged Wheel.

Posted by Vladimir16 from Grand River Valley on 07/10/13 at 07:52 AM ET

Figaro's avatar

People forget that before there was Claude Lemieux, there was Chris Chelios.

And we all still hate Chris Pronger.  mad

Posted by Figaro from Los Alamos, NM on 07/10/13 at 09:12 AM ET

Actually, I hated Kris King and Bryan Marchment more than I hated Cheli.  That is, until Fraud Lepuke broke Draper’s face.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 07/10/13 at 01:02 PM ET