The Malik Report

Blair defends Brunt’s case for WInnipeg

I got, ahem, taken in by Mr. Stephen Brunt’s “Winnipeg is happening now, now, now!” story, so it’s within TMR territory to offer Brunt’s defense of his position via [colleague Jeff Blair] of the Globe and Mail, which is of course owned by David Thomson:

True North owns the MTS Centre, the NHL has a salary cap, the Canadian dollar is stronger. Manitoba’s economy has been on a roll, boasting $53-billion in gross domestic product last year. The province generated 11,500 jobs in 2010, its best showing in eight years. Economists are forecasting that Manitoba’s unemployment rate will dip this year to 5.1 per cent compared with 5.4 per cent last year. While Manitoba has a population of 1.23 million, the Winnipeg hockey club will also draw from Saskatchewan, which has enjoyed its own economic renaissance.

“Everybody thinks about Alberta growing, but the western region has benefited from economic growth, too,” said Barry Prentice, a business professor at the University of Manitoba. “As Calgary and Edmonton have grown, so has Winnipeg. Manitoba and Saskatchewan used to be losers, but now we’re gaining. It’s a fabulous thing to have the NHL back.”

University of Manitoba finance professor John McCallum noted that Winnipeg will draw fans from Saskatchewan, northern Ontario, northern Minnesota and North Dakota. He added that manufacturers in the Winnipeg area have thrived on their proximity to the Canada-U.S. border, sending goods south.

So if this is a risk, then it’s a risk worth taking, in a place that actually cares about the game enough to have missed it when it was gone. That’s our story, at least. And as expat Manitobans, we’re sticking to it.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Am I missing something? That article is by Jeff Blair, not Stephen Brunt.

Posted by dzuunmod on 05/22/11 at 03:45 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Edited, updated.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/22/11 at 03:51 PM ET

“Brunt’s defense [via Stephen Brunt]”? Wha?

Stephen Brunt’s name is not mentioned anywhere on the page that you link to. He had nothing to do with that piece. It’s not his defense, it’s a piece by Jeff Blair contending that Winnipeg can work as an NHL market.

Posted by dzuunmod on 05/22/11 at 04:40 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Sorry, the last few days have been very insane at work and I’m admittedly stressed out. Some errors have popped up and I apologize for them.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/22/11 at 05:08 PM ET

No worries at all. Just wanted to alert you to it.

Posted by dzuunmod on 05/22/11 at 05:41 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

Well I’m sorry and I appreciate your note.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 05/22/11 at 06:00 PM ET