The Malik Report

Brendan Smith Sees An Opportunity

from Bill Roose at the Wings' website,

“They’ve had (DeKeyser) higher than me in the pecking order,” Smith said. “It’ll be a little bit of a door for me, try to step into it and play a little more minutes. It’ll be nice. Hopefully I can prove I can play more specialty teams and more minutes.”

“I got to still play my game. There’s going to be some situations where I’m going to be able to get those chances. I just have to attack them head on and don’t get too anxious or excited and just play.”

more on the topic...

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Oh, Brendan, they didn’t put him above you, he put himself above you through his play.

Still, maybe this opportunity will be good for Smith, who knows…

Posted by Garth on 11/20/13 at 07:35 PM ET

...dont attack them TOO head on, though.

Actually, I think DD being out puts Kindl in a more important position. He’s been treading water so far this season, not really hurting or helping the team. He can still build off of his progress from several months ago.

Posted by CrimsonPhoenix on 11/20/13 at 07:38 PM ET

I think the problem regarding Kindl is that I think Babcock has already decided that he’s the new Meech/Lebda.  I think it will take a lot, and maybe Kindl can do a lot while DeKeyser is out, to change Babcock’s mind.

Posted by Garth on 11/20/13 at 07:49 PM ET

Chet's avatar

I think they think higher of Kindl than that, Garth.

Or, at least, I do. I never understood all the hate for Lebda. He could skate, scored here or there, was never the worst D we had. He did suck when we moved to other, terrible teams of course, but who didn’t?

Meech of course always seemed like a spare part.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/20/13 at 08:05 PM ET

Chet's avatar

back to kindl, i think he has an upside still.

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/20/13 at 08:06 PM ET

Chet's avatar

(btw, smith probably does see an opportunity to really get those turnover numbers up before christmas. this is his big chance to be playing in columbus by st. paddy’s day!)

Posted by Chet from twitter: thegansen on 11/20/13 at 08:09 PM ET

I agree with you about Kindl, and I think Holland does too, I just don’t think Babcock does.

Posted by Garth on 11/20/13 at 08:19 PM ET

Gary A$$ SUCK !!'s avatar

Smith

I got to still play my game.

Ohhh NO NO…Please Play DD game instead.. LOL

Posted by Gary A$$ SUCK !! from Fort Myers, Florida on 11/20/13 at 11:42 PM ET

Primis's avatar

Kindl is often invisible now, which is a GOOD thing IMO.  I don’t think he’s been written off.  I think they see improvement.  It’s slow, painful, agonizing improvement, but it’s still improvement.  I think Kindl is going to be that guy that turns 30 and everyone goes “Huh.  He’s pretty good.  Not GREAT, but good.  When did this happen?

I would be surprised if Smith does anything but screw up at this point.  He takes dumb penalties, he blows assignments, he makes bad judgements… he does it all.  He is the total package.

Posted by Primis on 11/21/13 at 12:35 AM ET

NO BRENDAN. Dont play your game. Do the opposite.

Posted by brians neck on 11/21/13 at 01:03 AM ET

Well, actually, Smitty, your “game” scares the crap outta Wings fans.

Posted by SYF from the team that re-signed KFQ and DFC by KFH on 11/21/13 at 01:34 AM ET

DrewBehr's avatar

Every time I read or hear something Smith says, it always comes off as ” Me, me, me, me, me… I, I, I, I, I.” I rarely hear him mention anything about the team. Obviously individual performance is important but… I just think there’s something Smith doesn’t understand here.

Especially something like “they put DeKeyser in the pecking order.” There is no “pecking order,” you self-entitled idiot. It’s called a depth chart, and you’re lower on it because you’re irresponsible on the ice and a consistent f*ck up.

I really wonder if the Wings should experiment with Smith at forward. Maybe he could be the next Brent Burns, who knows. But either way, I think his attitude alone is earning him a one way ticket out of Detroit.

Posted by DrewBehr from The Mitten on 11/21/13 at 02:14 AM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

Hahahaha.

Positivity for Kindl.

Positivity and even perhaps a hint of wistfulness about Brett f*cking Lebda.

*#$%@& Brendan Smith.

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 11/21/13 at 02:14 AM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

Let’s all remember how long it took for Ericsson to get where he is.  There were similar comments about him for a few years.  And many who thought Holland was out of his mind for signing him to his current contract.  It takes several years for most young defensemen to learn the ropes.  Danny DK is an exception although, as Mickey Redmond keeps pointing out, he needs to learn to protect himself from injury.  So he has a way to go too, before we can call him an “elite” player.

I do think Smith has great potential.  I also think, as someone commented recently (sorry, I forget who it was) that his mind goes faster than his body.  Looks to me like he needs to work on not thinking so much, not trying to jump in offensively so much (like he did a lot in GR) and just learn to be a stay-at-home defenseman.  He is very early in his NHL career for a defenseman.  Give him some more time.

And I like Kindl.  I think he’ll turn out to be a good, reliable player for the Wings.

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/21/13 at 09:00 AM ET

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/21/13 at 08:00 AM ET

Not to mention how long Kronwall took to really solidify his game. My belief is that defensemen who come up in the Wings’ system tend to grow until about 28-30 and then they really establish themselves. Kindl is almost there in terms of age. He’s shown a lot of growth. Last year, when paired with Danny D, he played the best hockey of his life - the second pair was excellent. That half of a season earned Kindl that extension.

For that reason, I believe that at least Holland believes in his ability for the next few years. Further, I don’t think the Wings make individual decisions - I can’t imagine Holland going and signing guys without Babcock’s agreement. Now, I don’t think they will always agree 100% (and that’s been reported before) but I do believe the decision-making process considers several relevant parties. I don’t think there are many, if any, situations where Babcock says “absolutely not” and Holland goes out and does it anyway. If there are, I’d suspect they are few and far between.

Anyways, I think Kindl does get a chance here. If I remember correctly, didn’t they move him to the second pair for practice?

Posted by VitoLambruski on 11/21/13 at 10:51 AM ET

One thing I’ve noticed is not a lot of people talking about Lashoff. He’s played in 18 games, and is averaging about 15 minutes per game. His stats aren’t great but we don’t talk about him, which means even though he’s probably not making spectacular plays, at least he’s not allowing unnecessary goals go in on his shifts (Lashoff is -1 Smith is -7)

Posted by ryst on 11/21/13 at 01:23 PM ET