The Malik Report

Brendan Smith Goes On IR, Almqvist Headed To Winnipeg

Watch the fight below, may be a left shoulder issue...

update 3:22pm, St. James tweets it is short-term IR for Smith.

added 3:55pm, via Ansar Khan tweet,

Wings defenseman Brendan Smith out 1-2 weeks w/ slightly separated shoulder from fight last night, Ken Holland said. Adam Almquist recalled.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

1 2 >       Next »

Primis's avatar

Smith is so, so, so dumb.  I don’t even have other words anymore for anything he does.

It’s just all invariably dumb.

I wonder how other NHL teams feel losing to an AHL-quality blueline.

Posted by Primis on 11/03/13 at 04:19 PM ET

Hippy Dave's avatar

Well, at least that’ll keep him out of the penalty box…

Posted by Hippy Dave from Portland by way of Detroit on 11/03/13 at 04:20 PM ET

VooX's avatar

My armchair diagnosis is separated shoulder or broken clavicle.

Posted by VooX from Behind the Bar in the Hasek Club Car on 11/03/13 at 04:22 PM ET

MsRedWinger's avatar

I didn’t see who started the fight.  Was it Smith, or the Oil guy? Stupid time to fight.  41 seconds or something left…

Posted by MsRedWinger from Flori-duh on 11/03/13 at 04:22 PM ET

stonehands-78's avatar

imma guessing shoulder ...

didn’t he have an issue with it earlier in the season / preseason?

or mayhaps even end of last season?

Posted by stonehands-78 from the beginning ... a WingsFan, on 11/03/13 at 04:24 PM ET

why Almqvist & not Ouellet (or however you spell either of them…)

Posted by vfsvfl on 11/03/13 at 04:25 PM ET

Paul's avatar

St. James tweets again, says short term IR for Smith.

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/03/13 at 04:32 PM ET

gowings's avatar

well, this is good news! Look at it this way…...Almqvist (or even Ouellet) in my opinion cannot hurt…Smith has been…lets call it….struggling? Let’s see what the other kid can do

Posted by gowings from MTL on 11/03/13 at 04:34 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

I dont want to see anyone injured, but it seems like its the only way the AHL guys are going to get a shot to show what they can do.  I think Almquist, Ouellet and Sproul have all earned some games with the big club

Posted by Hootinani on 11/03/13 at 04:39 PM ET

Crater's avatar

And we all thought Holland had backed himself into a corner.. Looks to me like he was smarter than us and knew all these injuries would happen.

Posted by Crater from SoCal on 11/03/13 at 04:42 PM ET

DocF's avatar

At least Smith did not start this thing.  I agree with the medical diagnosis of most here -  it looks as if he has a shoulder injury.

Almquist may well be interesting.  He is small, but he has a very big offensive upside.

Posted by DocF from Now: Lynn Haven, FL; was Reidsville, NC on 11/03/13 at 04:50 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Added Khan tweet to post,

1-2 weeks w/ slightly separated shoulder

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/03/13 at 04:58 PM ET

Hmm… short term IR for Smith until big E comes back, then onto LTIR retro to today. That’s some cap management there.

Posted by AZWinger on 11/03/13 at 05:06 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

This is the best thing Smith has done on ice all season. By removing himself from the lineup with yet another meatheaded move, the wings might be able to put up a serious defenseman.

Posted by Hootinani on 11/03/13 at 03:39 PM ET

Absolutely, +19bn

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 11/03/13 at 05:21 PM ET

why Almqvist & not Ouellet (or however you spell either of them…)

Almqvist is older, has more professional experience, and had an excellent training camp. I tend to take the opinion that he’s the most NHL-ready prospect on the farm and I’m actually surprised Ouellet got the first call up instead of him.

My guess is they’re just seeing what everyone can do, or they’re rewarding Almqvist for a hot start in the AHL. Ouellet, Almqvist, and Sproul are all pretty good call-up possibilities so why not mix it up? In the case of Sproul and Ouellet especially it may also be in the team’s best interest to use them more sparingly as injury call-ups since they each have up to 3 more years of potential waiver eligibility, whereas Almqvist has only 1.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 11/03/13 at 05:27 PM ET

the most NHL-ready prospect on the farm

EDIT: the most NHL-ready /defenseman/ on the farm

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 11/03/13 at 05:28 PM ET

MoreShoot's avatar

He’s the same size as Erik Karlsson.

... an absolutely pathetic thought.  I’m actually surprised that they haven’t given Sproul a shot yet.  I can’t believe he’s better than XO, but I expected to see him by now.

Posted by MoreShoot on 11/03/13 at 05:37 PM ET

Paul's avatar

Khan at Mlive,

Smith was placed on short-term injured reserve, meaning he must sit out a minimum of seven days.

“We waited last night, wanted to see how he felt today,’’ Holland said. “When (trainer) Piet Van Zant saw him today, he said he’s very sore.’’

After taking three penalties earlier in the game, a 5-0 win for the Red Wings, Smith fought Acton with 41 seconds remaining.

more...

Posted by Paul from Motown Area on 11/03/13 at 05:41 PM ET

... an absolutely pathetic thought.

I’m aware that “preserving waiver exemptions” is a dirty concept here, but I don’t think this is directly comparable to the Nyquist situation.

Nyquist has 40 NHL games under his belt, he’s earned his spot, he’s proven all he can prove at the AHL level, and he deserves to be on the team ahead of veterans he’s clearly superior to. The Red Wings are hurting themselves by refusing to clear the space for him.

In this situation, you have three pretty good AHL defenders with intriguing potential. There no reason to necessarily think any one of them is especially much further ahead of any of the others, but they’re all untested at the NHL level.

In that situation, why wouldn’t you give the guy with the shortest exemption remaining the first, best shot at a medium-term assignment? Almqvist had an excellent rookie season in the AHL last year. He had a great camp this year. He’s gotten off to a great start this year. And he’s gotta make the big club by the beginning of next year or the Red Wings risk losing him on waivers.

It’d be one thing if Almqvist was some Emmerton-style schlub who got a job by default, because he was the cheapest or because he was out of minor league options. But I see no reason to suggest that Almqvist is any less worthy of a call-up than Ouellet or Sproul. In fact, I think he’s probably more ready, more well rounded as a pro, than either of those guys are.

So give him the chance. Let’s see what he can do. If he falters I have no doubt the Red Wings will give one of the others a shot. But in a situation where any of the three could be the best choice right now, it just seems to make sense to me to give the oldest guy with the least time left to make an impact the first real opportunity, and give your younger guys more time and flexibility to develop.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 11/03/13 at 06:11 PM ET

And what exactly are the positives here?  There are still too many forwards, Nyquist is still rotting in a Grand Rapids, Samuelsson and Tootoo are still taking up roster space and Ericsson is out for at least ten games whether he recovers before that time or not.

Where does the “smart” part come in?

Posted by Garth on 11/03/13 at 07:41 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Hence my total exasperation with the head honchos. Nyquist is an asset that we need now. He is more than deserving of a spot on the roster. He has earned and proven he should be playing with the big dogs.

Younger, better, faster.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/03/13 at 07:42 PM ET

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 11/03/13 at 05:11 PM ET

It’s also very possible that they’re assessing their prospects to see who has the most value as Red Wings property and who has the most value as a piece in a trade.

Posted by Garth on 11/03/13 at 07:44 PM ET

Posted by Garth on 11/03/13 at 06:44 PM ET

True. Or assessing whether or not their prospects are far enough along to let them trade Smith ...

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 11/03/13 at 07:58 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 11/03/13 at 06:58 PM ET

I like this possibility the best. I do wonder if some of us are being hasty in our assessment of Smith, but, he does not seem to learn from mistakes. He was in the press box for a few games then comes back and makes the same bonehead plays or takes a really stupid penalty. As a fan I have high expectations, maybe too high.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/03/13 at 08:09 PM ET

Just caught up with awood’s upload as I had tix to the Wranglers game last night.

Smitty, swear to the hockey gods, needs his head fixed:  left, right, up, down, inside, and outside.  He needs someone like a Slava Fetisov or Bob Rouse to get his head in the right place.  Just a dumb time to get suckered into a fight.

And then bust up his shoulder?  sMART.

That lineup the Wings had last night is a thing of beauty.  They had so much speed and smarts that translated into just 17 SOGs on Mrazek.  Nice.  Another game like that in the ‘Peg, boys.

Helene St. James     ✔ @HeleneStJames
#RedWings have put D Brendan Smith on IR (injured in fight at EDM), called up Adam Almqvist to play Monday at Winnipeg.

Well, if they’re gonna keep on giving Griffs defensemen a look-see, I would’ve like to have seen them call up Ryan Sproul.

Posted by SYF from Zata's Epic Viking Beard on 11/03/13 at 08:26 PM ET

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 11/03/13 at 06:58 PM ET

I definitely agree.

The most unfortunate thing about not replacing Lidstrom is that young guys aren’t being brought along as slowly as in the past.  Ericsson and Kindl, for example, were able to play smaller roles as they developed in Detroit (hell, how long as Kindl been with the club, and his first true season of playing regularly was last year) and less was expected of them with Lidstrom around.

Smith may need to learn more, but as you said, he doesn’t seem to be learning, and the Wings don’t need a guy who is a slow learner right now…

Posted by Garth on 11/03/13 at 08:53 PM ET

The “between the ears” part of his game has always been my concern with Smith, both watching him play (both in GR and Detroit) and reviewing his numbers. His physical skills have never really been in question and his skating and aggression alone were enough to make him a very good AHLer, but even then he was caught out of position too often and had to rely on either his skating or, frequently, taking a penalty to make up for the mistake.

A guy who skates as well as he does and has his physical gifts should not be racking up penalties the way that Smith does. This has been a problem in his game as far back as his college days and is still a significant issue. Take a look at last year’s regular defense corps, ranked by minutes of ice time per penalty minute:

Kyle Quincey: 38 minutes, 27 seconds
Brian Lashoff: 36 minutes, 45 seconds
Jonathan Ericsson: 33 minutes, 5 seconds
Jakub Kindl: 27 minutes, 10 seconds
Niklas Kronwall: 26 minutes, 35 seconds
Brendan Smith: 17 minutes, 22 seconds

Smith is still very green (only 73 NHL games played) and still quite young for a defenseman, and his physical skills and offensive instincts (at least at the AHL level) are great, so I’m not saying it’s necessarily time to throw in the towel. It took Ericsson and Kindl a long time to round into good NHLers, much longer than Smith has been given so far.

But the signs so far are worrying. This is all rampant unsubstantiated speculation, but I get the feeling maybe he wasn’t coached very well in his younger days, or that he was always able to get by on his physical abilities without having to be very smart, and now he’s hit a wall and he sort of has to learn how to play basic defense except against the best players in the world.

Posted by Sven22 from Grand Rapids on 11/03/13 at 09:20 PM ET

LivinLaVidaLockout's avatar

We let him rot in Grand Rapids in a year he could’ve learned from Lidstrom, and the entire time he’s been in the big leagues, he’s been paired with Quincey.  There’s a reason his head’s wrong.

And here we are, letting Nyquist rot as well.  When he’s brought up in 5 years, people are going to wonder why he can’t score goals when he’s paired with Cleary and the Ghost of Christmas Past.

Posted by LivinLaVidaLockout on 11/03/13 at 09:23 PM ET

Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit's avatar

Then we a have a guy named Danny DeKeyser. He seems to fit every expectation, and then some.

Lets Go Red Wings!!!!!

Posted by Kate from Pa.-made in Detroit on 11/03/13 at 09:31 PM ET

I think it will be an interesting matchup here in Wpg for Almqvist. Here in Wpg, we have a similarly smallish Swedish defenseman in Toby Enstrom and we love him. Take note of him Monday night. You can’t have 6 D that size but one guy who can move the puck like Enstrom, you folks in Detroit might be in for a surprise with Almqvist.

Posted by manitobaredwingfan on 11/03/13 at 09:49 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

Posted by manitobaredwingfan on 11/03/13 at 08:49 PM ET

We had a guy that size . His name was Rafalski.  Sure could use a guy like that once again. wink

Almqvist looked pretty good I the pre-season and deserves a few games to show what he has.

Learning how to play defense in hockey myself and it is definitely a challenge and work in progress. Smith just seems to make many poor judgmental decisions in the same scenarios repeatedly. I just don’t know how much more patience is needed . I do believe he would play better with a strong stay at home guy as a d partner but who?

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 11/03/13 at 10:40 PM ET

SK77's avatar

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 11/03/13 at 09:40 PM ET

If the Kronwall / DeKeyser pairing continues to work out decently enough then a Big Rig / Smith pairing might be worth evaluating.

Posted by SK77 on 11/03/13 at 10:45 PM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by some kid on 11/03/13 at 09:45 PM ET

I certainly do like that combo and would hope it works.  However if that doesn’t work out would you pair DD and Smith?  Discuss.

Posted by calquake on 11/03/13 at 11:09 PM ET

cigar_nurse's avatar

would you pair DD and Smith?  Discuss.

Posted by calquake on 11/03/13 at 10:09 PM ET

No Cal I would not .. DD is just too new to the NHL and needs to build some confidence and comfort adjusting to the big show . Even The Perfect Human had McCrimmon as a partner and expecting DD to perform and work with Smith would probably be overwhelming. I do wonder if DD’s success so far has put extra pressure on Smith to try too hard and is getting into a vicious cycle of trying to fix things and it’s getting into his head and repeats the same mistakes over and over.. Babbles is the Psych major and maybe that is why he continues to work with him on his game.

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 11/03/13 at 11:58 PM ET

If give E/Smith, Quincey/Kindl.  If that didn’t work I would go E/Q and Kindl/Lashoff because I know it wouldn’t be D/K that wasn’t working.

If it’s me, I would pair DD and Kronwall until they forced me to separate them, and even then it would only be to strengthen the other pairings.

Between Quincey, Kindl, Smith and Lashoff there should be a solid third pairing and someone to play with Ericsson on the second pairing.  If they can’t figure the bottom four out then they NEED an upgrade among the personnel.

Same with the forwards.  With what they have they should never have to break up Datsyuk and Zetterberg.

Posted by Garth on 11/04/13 at 12:03 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by cigar_nurse from Greenville South Cakalakee on 11/03/13 at 10:58 PM ET

I would be very happy to just not notice Smith when he’s on the ice.

Posted by calquake on 11/04/13 at 12:07 AM ET

When it comes to Smith, Babs might not want to advertise that…

Posted by Garth on 11/04/13 at 12:11 AM ET

calquake's avatar

Posted by Garth on 11/03/13 at 11:03 PM ET

We both agree on that but is it available?  As far as forwards I don’t think what you’ve seen up to this point is what will be there by the end of the season.

Posted by calquake on 11/04/13 at 12:12 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

I’m not worried about the Wings’ lack of secondary scoring given the progress made by Tatar, Abdelkader, Andersson, Alfredsson and—in his own way—Weiss, as well as the fact that Helm and Miller have been reunited…

But we all know that the Wings may need to add a top-four defenseman if the “Kids and Quincey” can’t hold up over the long haul. If the Wings weren’t in the same division as the Sabres, I wouldn’t have been surprised to see them make a pitch for Christian Ehrhoff, and while we need to banish Keith Yandle from our wish lists as the Yotes want to keep him, I would not be surprised to see the Wings do business with a Western Conference team at the trade deadline.

Between now and then, if Smith continues to take silly penalties and continues to make defensive gaffes, he’ll be the NHL-ready defenseman going the other way.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 11/04/13 at 12:26 AM ET

I’m not too worried about the forwards.  I think the main problem is that Babcock won’t leave the lines alone and stop tinkering.

I’m actually interested in what lineup they have next game.  The Wings, I think, played two pretty complete games in Vancouver and Winnipeg and they had some problems in Calgary, eventually getting lucky by having Joey Mac forget how to play goal in the third.  In Edmonton we had four lines that played well and I’m not sure I see Johan Franzen making the team better when he returns.  With Helm back and Datsyuk, Weiss and Andersson down the centre they can’t coddle Franzen by allowing him to play centre.

If he is still not ready tomorrow and they play another complete game without him and win, I honestly have to wonder if they don’t try to dangle him as trade bait in an attempt to get that elusive top for defenseman.

And if he is still not ready tomorrow and they play another complete game without him and win and don’t try to dangle him as trade bait in an attempt to get that elusive top for defenseman, then I would like to suggest that they do try.

Posted by Garth on 11/04/13 at 12:38 AM ET