The Malik Report

Borderline blasphemy and a pretty good Nicklas Lidstrom/Corey Perry commercial

And welcome to the NHL, where, via Yahoo Sports’ Greg “Puck Daddy” Wyshynski, even Nicklas Lidstrom, captain of the Detroit Red Wings, has to hawk Hondas…With Corey Perry.

The commercial’s actually cute, but as someone whose family has over a hundred combined years of service to Chrysler, including an uncle who got beaten up by the Purple Gang when they were union-busting in the 30’s…well…I guess it is what it is.

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Yeah, it’s disappointing seeing Lidstrom do an ad for Honda considering the negative effect the corporation has had on the Detroit area.

Posted by LGRWeh on 12/31/11 at 05:23 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

it’s business. that’s it. nothing to do with Detroit. Honda is a main sponsor of the NHL.

and the Big 3 f’d themselves way more than any foreign manufacturer f’d them.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 12/31/11 at 05:31 PM ET

I admit that I know nothing about “Honda’s negative effect” in Detroit (I am a Wing fan living in Toronto)...but, maybe with one of the greatest and most popular Red Wing player, this might actually help the sales of Honda in Detroit and if this means in the long run more money for Detroit, so let it be.

I have to say, that the octopus in the end was a nice detail

Posted by Stephane on 12/31/11 at 05:42 PM ET

George Malik's avatar

It is indeed business as Honda is a corporate partner…Lidstrom did not have a choice here, and the commercial is cute….

But I hope you understand that even those of us who know people—lots and lots of people—who lost jobs thanks to the Big 3’s largesse still cringe a bit given that so many of our family members and friends’ families came here and established roots based on putting food on the table via working on the line.

Whatever one chooses to drive is one’s business and far be it from me to criticize someone for choosing to buy whatever the hell they want, but this is like the year the Wings chose to drive fans out to play Score-O in Toyotas…They got booed, and given that they were doing so at the Joe, those boos were deserved.

It’s a touchy subject. It’s never going to be anything less and I guess all I can hope for is that we respect each other’s stances on the topic. It may or may not be a big deal to most but it is a big deal in Detroit.

It just is, just like the concept of the Canadiens drawing fans’ ire for not hiring a bilingual coach might seem strange to those of us who live outside of Montreal, but our puzzlement makes the Habs’ fans’ concerns no less valid given the, “How it feels when you’ve lived there for your whole life” dynamic.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 12/31/11 at 05:49 PM ET

If you want to really have fun with the commercial…how about Datsuk and Perry LOL

Posted by Nathalie on 12/31/11 at 05:56 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

i understand, George. 99% of my family is still in Michigan. My Grandfather worked on the line at Dodge and everyone else works in jobs directly affected by the auto industry. It hasn’t been pretty.

It is, though, a complete cop-out to put the blame solely on the foreign manufacturers.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 12/31/11 at 09:33 PM ET

cowboycoffee's avatar

and i’m waiting for the end of Feb for the new Ford Escape. It will be mine.

Posted by cowboycoffee from San Francisco, CA on 12/31/11 at 09:34 PM ET

Norskirama's avatar

Official car sponsor of the NHL means what….they shelled out the most bucks probably.  I am betting a lot more kids got those early morning rides to hockey practice in Chevys, Fords, Chryslers and Dodges than Hondas so the sponsorship angle seem really dumb to me.

Posted by Norskirama from Lincoln, Nebraska on 01/01/12 at 01:46 AM ET

I am so disappointed in Lidstrom.  Lord knows he doesn’t need the money and since the majority of Detroit hockey fans are some how related to the domestic auto industry, including my family, it is as good as thumbing his nose at his fans.
I really wish he would have given it a little more thought.

Posted by Michelle Whitwam on 01/02/12 at 08:00 PM ET

J.J. from Kansas's avatar

I’m wondering more about the whole “Lidstrom did not have a choice” thing…

Posted by J.J. from Kansas on 01/02/12 at 08:27 PM ET