The Malik Report

Blues Ian Cole shoulders Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader in the head; Abby OK

Somehow, Red Wings forward Justin Abdelkader managed to pass his baseline tests in the “quiet room” and return, and scored a goal no less, after taking a shoulder directly to the head from St. Louis Blues defenseman Ian Cole. Cole received 2 minutes for an illegal check to the head. [edit: at 11:14 PM: Here’s a better video]:

Here’s hoping that Fox Sports Detroit posts Mickey Redmond’s discussion of player safety as it applies to shoulder and elbow pads, too, as he did a better job of explaining what’s what in terms of protection being used as a weapon than Don Cherry’s done over the past ten years (aside from hitting Ron MacLean in the head, which never hurts).

And yes, Wings coach Mike Babcock suggested that the hit was doubtlessly suspension-worthy.

Update: This isn’t great, either, but here’s the hit in slow motion. Slow motion can be a dangerous thing as it allows us to assume that the hitter meant even more sinister intent than he already planned in the half second before the hit:

Update at 12:28 AM: NHL.com’s Brian Hedger found that there was a difference of opinion regarding the hit:

The last two games, Abdelkader’s come up big, too. He’s filling in for injured third-line center Darren Helm and now has goals in back-to-back games in that role. In this game, he also came back from a punishing blow to the head 9:11 into the game by Ian Cole that knocked him out of the game until the start of the second period.

“Maybe the hockey gods were looking down on me,” Abdelkader said. “(The hit) is just one of those plays we want to take out of the game. I don’t know if he intentionally went after my head. It’s one of those bang-bang plays. I’m just glad I could come back and help the team out.’‘

Cole was assessed a minor for an illegal hit to the head, but the Wings were unable to capitalize on the resulting power play – going 0-for-2 on the man advantage in the first and 0-for-4 for the game.

“I don’t like the hit,” Detroit coach Mike Babcock said. “The hit should be a suspension, for sure, but I thought Abby did a real good job and he played well the last two periods – more ice time. He played against good players and played well.”

Cole said it wasn’t an intentional targeting of Abdelkader’s head.

“I just stepped up,” he said. “I think he saw me coming at the last second and tried to cut back inside real quick. I had him lined up. I wasn’t going to go high. I wasn’t going to go for the head. I was just going right for his shoulder. He tried to cut back and avoid, and he put his head right into my shoulder.”

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

HockeyFanOhio's avatar

I think Shanahan will be taking a look at that hit.  Exactly what they want to get rid of.  George, can you post video of Redmond’s discussion of the pads?

Posted by HockeyFanOhio from Central Ohio on 01/01/12 at 12:56 AM ET

42jeff's avatar

wow…looked clean to me

no.  I’m lieing.

I’m also somewhat inebriated.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Posted by 42jeff from The greater Howard City, MI metroplex on 01/01/12 at 01:44 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

If FSD posts Mickey’s explanation I’ll place it in the recap.

And Babs said that the hit was obviously suspension-worthy.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/01/12 at 01:52 AM ET

Lesson number #1 in hockey - SKATE WITH YOUR HEAD UP.

Cole is a clean player - that was not on purpose.

Abdelkader should know better coming across the line with his head down in the opponents zone.

Posted by TCMayer from Holland, MI on 01/01/12 at 02:59 AM ET

George Malik's avatar

This is not the “old NHL.” It doesn’t matter whether it was on purpose—the checker is now responsible for what he does, too.

Posted by George Malik from South Lyon, MI on 01/01/12 at 03:27 AM ET

Zaze's avatar

It doesn’t matter whether it was on purpose

yep… as much as I like a physical game, we gotta keep these guys healthy and playing…

Posted by Zaze on 01/01/12 at 05:43 AM ET

This is the best still I could find: Cole on Abdelkader

I don’t think Cole intentionally targeted Abdelkader’s head, and I think at least part of the burden was on Abdelkader to have his head up, both of which will play into Shanahan’s decision, I think. And the hit was not blind-side or whatever, so I would be surprised if Cole is suspended for more than 1 game, and I would not be surprised at all if there is no suspension.

Posted by bleep bloop on 01/01/12 at 08:55 AM ET