The Malik Report

Blue Jackets GM Kekalainen’s disagreement with Comeau suspension is…eloquent

I'm not fond of the Columbus Blue Jackets, nor am I fond of Blake Comeau, who's apparently broken some of Tomas Jurco's ribs via that nasty cross-check in addition to having been suspended two games for boarding Brendan Smith...

But I've got to say that Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen's reaction to Comeau's suspension, as noted by the Columbus Dispatch's Aaron Portzline, was the most eloquent, "I didn't like it" I've heard this side of, "I disagree with the suspension but I respect the league's decision and the review process":

"I’ve had this principle that I’m not going to comment or complain on the process (the league) takes," Blue Jackets GM Jarmo Kekalainen said. "They try to be through and consistent and they do a good job. It was a hard hit and they said he was tracking the target for a while. I heard their logic. As much as I want to support our players, we have to suffer the consequences."

Kekalainen said assistant GM Bill Zito spent the day preparing a defense for Comeau.

"We did research on hits that were similar, and we argued our case," Kekalainen said. "(Zito) did a good job presenting the case to Shanahan and his crew. I don’t know if it helped or not. It’s two games, but I don’t know what it might have been or what effect it had on it."

Filed in: | The Malik Report | Permalink

Comments

Primis's avatar

It’s not like we as fans live under the delusion the NHL is consistent in such rulings, so….

Posted by Primis on 03/12/14 at 08:47 PM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Didnt sound to me like he was opposed to the ruling, or that he thought the hit was ok.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/12/14 at 10:50 PM ET

redxblack's avatar

Kekalainen just might turn that franchise around.

Posted by redxblack from Akron Ohio on 03/12/14 at 11:35 PM ET

bleep bloop's avatar

Double-speak translation:

It was a hard hit

“That was a hockey play”

I heard their logic

“I do not agree”

we have to suffer the consequences

“…of their incorrect conclusions”

We did research on hits that were similar

“We found plenty of worse hits that didn’t result in anything”

(Zito) did a good job presenting the case to Shanahan and his crew.

“We told them how much of a joke they are”

Posted by bleep bloop on 03/13/14 at 01:50 AM ET

Hootinani's avatar

Posted by bleep bloop on 03/13/14 at 01:50 AM ET

Sorry, dont buy it.  He was asked a question and gave as straight forward an answer as possible in that situation.  I don’t like the BJs anymore than anyone else, but I’m not going to go looking for things to hate on them about, especially when they have players like Comeau, Boll, Dubinsky, Johnson and Wisniewski on the ice that are easier, less “read between the linesee”, targets for said hatred.

Posted by Hootinani on 03/13/14 at 08:34 AM ET

bleep bloop's avatar

That was more criticism of the league’s consistency than anything else.

I don’t like or dislike the BJs but I don’t think my interpretation is far off. Normally when the GM disagrees with the actions of his player, while he doesn’t come right out and say it, he does make comments about it being an “unfortunate situation” and “respect[ing] the league’s decision”, often with a quip about it being a hard job he’s happy he doesn’t have to do. No comments about “suffering consequences” or how hard they tried to get their player’s sentence reduced.

Posted by bleep bloop on 03/13/14 at 02:44 PM ET